Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

TDI PRO

I bought a brand new TDI Pro a couple of weeks ago and use it mainly on wet salt sand, this machine has incredible depth with GEB off, pulse @ 10, gain wide open, my Excal will not match it's depth but both machines do have their place, my excal has found me many gold and silver rings and coins. But why did White's discontinue the Pro and just kept the SL? Do they not understand what they have in this machine? It's ok with me because I've never seen another TDI Pro user on the beaches I hunt and I like that, I will get the extremely deep targets other can't detect. HH

The talk is that Whites is comming out with a killer machine some time maybe ? but when? Think it might be a pulse for water OR gold machine or maybe be a versitale for either? I think it;s being tested has been for a while but no one is saying anything,need to ask the whites people!!!! that might be why they stopped the TDI pro for something to take it's place????? shortribs

I heard a rumor that a factor for Whites discontinuing the TDI & TDI Pro was because of the lithium ion batteries - namely not being able to ship them overseas or air freight CONUS due to their inherent fire hazard onboard aircraft. I noticed when I purchased my TDI Pro recently that it was shipped ground freight in the US. Makes sense - lithium ion batteries do catch fire.

Richard
San Diego

Yep Richard I heard the same thing might be true,but I really think the TDI wasn't that popular and they went on to make something else. The Boys in Austrailia have been testing a new Whites for some time and they went wild for it,and was getting rid of their M.L,s and others and waiting for the new Whites when ever it hits the street. shortribs.

There was a little shake-up at Whites as I understand it and the newbies might have something up their sleeves.I think Whites will have some good detectors comming in the future! Hate they got rid of Jimmy S as a dealer etc. shortribs

The main reason i would have thought is the lithium ion batteries,if you cannot ship these units easy then its going to be a big problem,the 'sl' version is still being produced and shipped because the battery packs allow them to be shipped but of course you dont get as long a run time with them.

The story about Whites testing a new model in Aussie land and folks getting rid of other high end brand names waiting for this new model to come out does seem a little exaggerated,of course it may be true but without any form of a link to any source of this new machine,its just basically hearsay and nothing else.

I bought a brand new TDI Pro in January possibly the last one in the UK,must admit i am very pleased with it,i tend to keep my machines for a very long time and this will suit me for exactly want i want from it a hoard hunter,if its like my other Whites machines then it will serve me well,until this new super Whites PI hits the market that is :)

Yes I have the SL model had it for about a year have the 71/2 coil and a 14in coil beside the coil that comes with it. like it very much. shortribs

When your TDI lithium batteries run out of juice then, what are you going to do?

Just saying.

The availability of original TDI / TDI Pro batteries could very well become an issue as time goes by. Basically, the TDI / TDI Pro battery packs are a set of 8 of the AA lithium ion batteries - and each battery is 3.7 volts with 3,400 mAh of power. They are grouped together into two sets of 4 batteries - each set of 4 batteries is wired in series to create the 14.8 volts, and then both sets of 4 batteries are wired in parallel to power the detector. Input voltage with a stock battery is 14.8 volts.

The combined power of the 8 batteries is 27,200mAh - the TDI / TDI Pro machines consume 3,400 mAh, so a freshly charged battery pack would be completely drained in 8 hours. Totally depleting lithium ion batteries is a sure way to ruin your battery, so if you're doing an extended hunt it would be a good idea to exchange your battery pack with a freshly-charged battery midway through the day (about 4 hours).

I'm considering creating an external battery pack for my TDI Pro machine. The TDI / TDI Pro can accept power up to 18.5 volts, so a battery pack with 18 volts with somewhere between 75,000 mAh and 150,000 mAh is possible by using inexpensive NiMH rechargeable batteries. At 75,000 mAh, that would increase the available power to 22 hours (about 11 hours usable time), or up to 150,000 mAh which would increase the available power to 44 hours (about 22 hours usable time) - it could be used for a couple days without needing to be recharged. The idea is still on the drawing board, but the cost to create such a battery pack is still less than the price of one stock battery (including the charger).

I'm sure there are many possible external power source batteries available - the RC hobby is sure to have some that would work too.