Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Technetics coin computer 9000

I had tested that unit before I bought my Teknetics 8000. I tried the 9000,8500,and 8000. The 9000 had the best depth but was a slow unit that had to be swung 3-4 times over the object to get a locked reading. I went with the 8000 because of the fast (1 time) sweep speed and was just as accurate. The 9000, as is all those early Teks are built like a tank and if taken care of work fine ( I am still using my 20 year old 8000! )
Hope that helps.

I just bought a Teknetics Mark 1 that is suppose to have the upgrades.I here it's a slow motion detector.It was just shipped haven't received the detector yet.They seem to sell for a lot being a older detector. Ron

Ron,
The reason they hold their value was they were one of the best on the market at that time and compared to the new models still aren't bad for someone who can't or doesn't want to pay the high current prices. There is an excellent article written by George Payne (one of the primary designers) where you might get some good info on your "new" detector at: http://jb-ms.com/Baron/payne.htm

TH'r, It seems George Payne likes the Mark 1.I have seen these Teknetic detectors for sale and thought this may work for me in the parks I hunt.No one seems to be finding nickles in our group.(two DFX'S,CZZA,CZ3D). I use a CZ7A most of the time.Sometimes I'll use my old Discovery 111 with a four inch coil it will find nickles and wheat's. This old detector will ID and give a depth reading at the same time. I wanted the Mark 1 to add a little more punch when I search for nickles. Thanks Ron

The 8500 and the 9000 were the first Teknetics made from what I have seen. The 8500 had the reg meter on it while the 9000 had a LCD meter which some gave a problem after a while and had to be replaced. I remember most everyone I know got the 8500 or the 8500B instead of the 9000 for that reason. These both were slower working detector, but better than anything we had seen before for IDing detector. A few years latter the Mark I came out which most traded in their 8500 and the 9000 for a mark 1 as they were faster and work so much better, I remember the Mark 1 could give the best ID and could tell a silver dime from a clad one. The big problem with any of these Teknetics was the battery clips were not very strong and all of these came with rechargeable batteries that you left in the detector while charging, so there really wasn't much of a problem unless you let the batteries go dead and the leaked, or used alkaline battery where you changed them quite often. My Mark 1 and the 8500 B I had used 14 batteries, 6 in one pack and 8 in the other pack.

So if you want to buy this 9000 I would see if it still has rechargeable batteries and the battery clips were good and see how the LCD display will work as this is where the problem were with them.

Rick

Rick, Just received my Mark 1 yesterday.I turned the unit on and used it in the front yard.The detector came with a belt clip and seems to be very awkward to carry this way.I can see why a lot of people liked this detector.The only problem at this point I have is trying to find a better way to carry this unit.This detector is huge and heavy. Ron

Ron,

I had purchased (at the time I bought my 8000) a hip mount that held the unit and slid into my belt. It was aluminum and had a rubber base inside to prevent sliding. It supports the weight well and keeps the knobs up where you can adjust if needed (only only the left side because on the right interferred with swinging if you hold the rod with right hand.) You could probably get one made or rig up something to that effect and that should work well for you as mine works great so I only have the weight of the coil and rod to swing all day.

TH'r I'm left handed ,I do have the clip just as you described.It should work after the adjustments are made.I'm reading the manual and trying to figure out the notch system,which is very interesting.If the weather permits maybe I'll get some field use on this detector Saturday after work. Thanks Ron

Sounds like your Mark 1 is a hip mounted one, not a shaft mounted one. I wonder if Keith Wills at Broken Detectors has a shaft that this control box can be mounted on to make it a shaft mounted one.
Its been a while, but I believe that Target Select is where the notch will work. Turn it to Target select and turn the disc lower than a nickle as it has to be lower than any target you are trying to notch out. Now turn the notch up until it notches out the pull tab while swinging the coil over it. I don't remember using mine much as it didn't notch out all the pull tabs, just the one you have the most problem with.

Rick

Rick, After reading the manual I setup the detector according to the instructions.This is their suggested setup, turn the unit on, all knob setting in blue,(factory set)next dial dis knob until meter reads 62(which now screw caps are dis-ed out),finally the power knob turned to target select mode,last turn target select dis knob until the meter is at 28 on the scale.It states in the manual that 28 will give you nickles but adjustment may have to be made to pickup nickles and reject pull tabs.I did a bench air test after these adjustments were made and the unit would pickup copper pennies, nickles dimes,and quarters.The detector rejected the items that I tested pull tabs with tails,Pepsi screw caps.I did use the unit in the yard briefly recovering newer coins.The hip mount may be a good way to go with this detector because of the bulk and weight.I'm looking forward to using this detector in the park Saturday after work. Thanks Ron