Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Technical on Filters

Cody

Capacitors, inductors (coils of wire), and resistors can be combined in combinations to filter or couple signals. There is a relationship between these three components and voltage and current. In a nut shell voltage and current are in phase in a pure resistance. There is no lead or lag of voltage or current in a pure resistance so they are at zero degree phase shift. In a pure inductance voltage leads the current by 90 degrees. In a pure capacitance voltage lags the voltage by 90 degrees. These phase relationships are important in electronic design/

Capacitors and inductors are reactive in that their response is frequency dependent. The way they respond in a circuits is designated XC and XL. Both are often called resistance but is impedance when XC and XL are combined with resistance. What we have is leading and lagging voltages and voltages and currents in phase. They are solved and combined with specific equations that solve for XC, XL and R. These in turn can be in series or parallel or complex circuits. A resistor is a device that resists the flow of current but although XC and XL is called resistance or impedance they are actually a voltage that opposes or aids the voltage applied to them and they are frequency responsive. Think of a batter connected in series so the voltage add up or subtract. Two 1.5 volt batter connected to aid would be 3volts but if connected to buck then would be 0 volts. When the are connect so they oppose they they are in effect a Resistance.

Combination of inductors, capacitors, and resistors can be used to couple signals or as filters. Capacitors do not actually pass a current but appears to do so by the charging and discharging of the capacitor. A voltage that varies will cause a capacitor to charge and discharge so the signal on one side of the capacitor will cause current to flow on the other side that is developed across a resistor. What we end up with is a signal on one side being duplicated on the other side. However, capacitors do not pass current which is what gives rise to the general statement that they pass AC but block DC. In reality then do not pass either.

These three simple components can be used to

Welcome back Cody! Long time no hear from. Do you have any idea how many filters the Explorer uses? Or does it depend on the settings on the unit? Happy New Year to all. HH
Steve(MS)

The filters are after the demodulators and they show three. However, they have the noise cancel which shifts the 28 frequencies in the receiver to find the one with the least noise. It sounds to me like Audio1, 2, 3 add some digital filtering otherwise I believe 3 is what we have in normal use. I see a snappy response and the sweep speed is very forgiving which is common for this number of filters. That is what I use on my DFX.

I wanted to go look around at the new machines, give others more opportunities to post, and see what was going on with the new crop of detectors. The X-terr is about all I see of interest for now. All but one I have looked over is just a repackaged scaled back model and I have never been interested in those although some are good macines.

Have a great NEW YEAR.