Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon air testing

Rainyday101

Got my new Tejon, put it together and did some air testing. Gotta admit, at first I was ready to repackage it and send it right back. In my initial air test I could not get past 8 1/2" on a quarter in an air test. I was slightly upset. This was with a disc set at foil and sens in the red. Tried all metal and it was only slightly better. What a disappointment! To make things worse I watched a YouTube video by SpiritRelic and the amaznig distances he was getting in a noisy/EMI area. What I ended up figuring out is that when air testing the Tejon needs a faster sweep speed. Also being a concentric coil, it is important to have your sweeps be centered in the coil. Once I did this things changed drastically. I retested with thresh. at 12 o'clock, sens in the red, and disc. just slightly past foil.
Results are:
Penny @ 11"
Dime @ 10.5"
Quarter @ 12"
Nickel @ 13"

These are for repeatable signals that you would dig. You can get more, but I wouldn't consider those diggable signals. One thing to note is that increasing disc way up to just past tab gives some depth loss, but very little.

Two things learned- the Tejon likes a faster swing speed, make sure your passes when air checking are at the center of the coil. I am very impressed with the results! Now I just need to get some time to take it on a true hunt. After playing with the tone, VCO, disc settings and dual disc, I am liking what I see.

Yeah, the Tejon is a winner. Give it a chance in the field. You'll dig some junk in the beginning, and you'll chase some deep, deep targets. But once you get it, you will love it.

You did read the e-book, correct?

dan b said:
Yeah, the Tejon is a winner. Give it a chance in the field. You'll dig some junk in the beginning, and you'll chase some deep, deep targets. But once you get it, you will love it.

You did read the e-book, correct?

Yep, I have read the ebook and will read it again and again.

Keep use posted with all your finds. The Tejon hits super hard on gold rings and nickels.

tabman

Very respectable depth , I will be watching for the finds

Thanks guys, and I will keep you posted. Right now I am just short on time with our summer soccer league in full swing.

I had about 30 minutes to play with it in the yard today. It is definitely different than the Umax's I am use to as far as sound. I sure loved the dual disc and can think of lots of ways to set that up and use it. Hopefully I can get a few hours on it this week.

I know Etracs are great detectors, BUT for less than the price of one I have a Silver uMax, Tiger Shark, and a Tejon. In my opinion that is a pretty impressive trio. Next on the list for me is a Deleon.

Rainyday101 said:
Got my new Tejon, put it together and did some air testing. Gotta admit, at first I was ready to repackage it and send it right back. In my initial air test I could not get past 8 1/2" on a quarter in an air test. I was slightly upset. This was with a disc set at foil and sens in the red. Tried all metal and it was only slightly better. What a disappointment! To make things worse I watched a YouTube video by SpiritRelic and the amaznig distances he was getting in a noisy/EMI area. What I ended up figuring out is that when air testing the Tejon needs a faster sweep speed. Also being a concentric coil, it is important to have your sweeps be centered in the coil. Once I did this things changed drastically. I retested with thresh. at 12 o'clock, sens in the red, and disc. just slightly past foil.
Results are:
Penny @ 11"
Dime @ 10.5"
Quarter @ 12"
Nickel @ 13"

These are for repeatable signals that you would dig. You can get more, but I wouldn't consider those diggable signals. One thing to note is that increasing disc way up to just past tab gives some depth loss, but very little.

Two things learned- the Tejon likes a faster swing speed, make sure your passes when air checking are at the center of the coil. I am very impressed with the results! Now I just need to get some time to take it on a true hunt. After playing with the tone, VCO, disc settings and dual disc, I am liking what I see.

In Discrimination mode I don't think the threshold really matters unless you switch to all-metal pinpoint mode, what I'm saying is its not like the Vaquero that you can supertune.

Mark

Mark, you are right on the threshold setting, I tried raising it and saw no gain in test distance. What made a huge difference though was the sweep speed and making sure you were centered on the coil with the sweeps. This thing definitely likes a faster sweep speed.