Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon Alt Disc.

Hi Ya'll, I saw it discussed awhile back and could not find it when I did a search so maybe someone will have some recall on it. I noticed Alt Disc. on my Tejon would hit solid on a signal a couple of times and then fade out completely on what I knew to be a good signal. I plan on sending it in for some recoup any way since it has never been back to the shop. Like me, it has grown long of tooth and need of some TLC. It found some real goodies for me but it is time for it to get spruced up a bit. I do remember seeing where someone else had the same situation with their Alt Disc. and wondering if someone could share any info on the problem. Thanks a bunch and HH Charlie !

Charles,..in my experience with my tejon, (10 years) sometimes I get targets that fade away..dig those..it is usually a deep target..I usually hunt with the main disc just above iron and the alternate disc maxed out..if it fades when I toggle to the alt disc I dig..it fades out because the higher disc setting has less depth..

Good to hear from you Charlie! I go and look at the historical society page every now and then to see if you've uncovered something new and significant.

I'll often set the second discriminator to just knock out the most prevalent type of tab. I set it so on the first sweep it hits well and on the next couple of sweeps it crackles then just barely disappears or maybe still gives a little chirp. If it is set to knock the tab out on the first sweep, deep nickles start to crackle and I try to keep the nickles sounding out solid. When switching from the first disc to the second there is a settling time involved for the circuit to reach it's final setting; so first sweep sounds good then second and more sweep has the target fading or disappearing. The Tejon I have has been like that since new and hasn't changed, although the ground balance pot now wobbles and the toggle switch is getting a little sloppy too, so I do need to send it in some time to address those controls.
Cheers,
tvr

Thanks y'all for your replies ! I have a little better idea of what may be going on with my T. now but it is over due for recoup so I am going to go ahead and send her home for a spell. There is a big difference in the way I set my Alt disc and y'all's set up. I rarely hunt sites where I need to set Alt disc above Tab. No tabs to be dug, and "Yee Haw" for that!! Most always I can set it just below or above Nickel so it should not be fading out because of loss of depth. It only does the fade out occasionally. That is where my problem lies, so I'm thinking it may be the GB being off. My dirt is mostly mild but there are patchy spots of clay that begin in my area and increase toward the south. My own yard is probably the worst of it that I have encountered . There was a 1920-30 house site here. A nail imbedded in this ground 70-80 years produces a signal not likely to be rejected at any level by any machine made ! I agree completely, it is best to dig, fade or no fade, especially on the older sites. Hey Andy, our Archaeology Club has gone inactive for the last couple of years so there won't wont be any more entries from us for a while. It was made up of mostly old folks who really did a great job for many years but you know how it goes. It takes some young folks with interest to step in when the time comes, and if they are not there, its over with. We are still hopeful yet for some more digs and some shiny stuff in the hole. Lol, I will holler at you if it happens, so be hoping for us that it does!. Thanks again y'all for your input, and HH, Charlie