Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon and Bad Ground

Canewrap

I know that low frequency detectors handle bad ground better than the higher frequency units. But, since the Tejon is probably
the best "reasonably priced" detector I can find for relic hunting and matches my criteria (e.g., audible threshold), I have to ask
what do people do with their Tejon if they encounter bad ground? Would a DD coil make enough of a difference to retain most
of the depth? By bad ground I'm talking about the red clay in the Southern US.

I've had several Tejón's but prefer a different Tesoro or two to that model. I also hunt 'bad ground' but there are all sorts of descriptions of what constitutes 'bad ground,' but in the six or seven Western US states I mainly hunt through the years, I encounter a lot of it. Search coil 'type' and the resulting performance can vary because some makes and models, by design, might work a bit better with a Double-D coil, while others serve you better with a Concentric coil.

With almost every Tesoro, I have had my best success afield, in a wide-rage of ground mineral challenges, using a concentric coil that works the best for the environment and targets present. Double-D coils, long touted as being better for 'mineralized sites', just doesn't always hold true.

What type of hunting are you doing? What coil have you been using and what accessory coils to you have now?

Monte

Monte, I had a Tejon in the past and I'm giving relic hunting one more go. The ground, here in the south, can be challenging at times and I'm trying to
decide between a Tejon and a Vaquero for Civil War bullets, buttons, etc. I liked the Tejon, but never used the second discrimination mode and the Tejon could
get noisy in iffy ground. I have an Eldorado, but I'm considering trading it for a Vaquero - which I've been told should hit just a wee bit deeper on lead.

Had three Tejón's and six Vaquero's and feel the Vaquero works well and they have been less chattery. I don't use larger coils often, and by 'larger' I mean a standard coil or bigger. I hunt trashier sites and rely on smaller-than-stock search coils to better handle the trash, building rubble and dense brush. I also prefer a Vaquero with the high-tone modification.

Monte

I agree with Monte in that I would choose a Vaquero with the 5.75 concentric coil over the Tejon. That combination handles my bad ground here in southwest colorado better than the Tejon.

I had both the V and T and you can see below why I kept the Tejon. All was pretty close until I got to the 11"WS coil.

Agree I can't find a lot use for the second disc, but it is cool to say it has dual disc.

Ron in WV

i know where i live the vaquero loves hot rocks and that wouldnt dis out .i have the tejon he does really well where i live,the only thing that i see the vequero has over the tejon is the battery life,1 9 volt vs 8 aa.

Here in Virginia i have bad ground to the east near Culpeper, VA, and much milder soil in the valley to my west. In that hot red clay soil most vlf machines will call a minnie ball much past the 5-6" range a nail. With the trigger switch on the Tejon i am about 75% accurate on telling a deep good target from shallower junk.....the Vaquero has the red pinpoint button but it is the VCO type and i never could get as accurate using the Vaq. Still like the Vaquero better for coins or general use, but think the Tejon is possibly the best machine made for the die hard relic hunter in my area.