Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon Interference

Odanscoils

What interference.
Brand new to my new Tejon.
I bought the Nel Sniper coil.
In hopes of finding the Hundreds of earrings I Know are on the beach.
I work on High Voltage power lines.
My first test of any machine is at a nearby substation.
5,13.2 and 33 thousand volts coming and going.
The Tejon with that little 3.5×6.5 coil ran Smooth.
Not a bit of chatter.
Found the usual line hardware.
Cleaned out good but beat up stuff a while ago.
Be hitting some older stations from the 30'$ this summer.
Should definitely be silver.
I think I'm falling in love with this machine.
Why didn't I buy Tesoros Years ago.
Minelabs are getting parked this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20220314_124854_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220314_124854_hdr.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20220314_124847.jpg
    IMG_20220314_124847.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20220314_124843_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220314_124843_hdr.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 137
What interference.
Brand new to my new Tejon.
I bought the Nel Sniper coil.
In hopes of finding the Hundreds of earrings I Know are on the beach.
I work on High Voltage power lines.
My first test of any machine is at a nearby substation.
5,13.2 and 33 thousand volts coming and going.
The Tejon with that little 3.5×6.5 coil ran Smooth.
Not a bit of chatter.
Found the usual line hardware.
Cleaned out good but beat up stuff a while ago.
Be hitting some older stations from the 30'$ this summer.
Should definitely be silver.
I think I'm falling in love with this machine.
Why didn't I buy Tesoros Years ago.
Minelabs are getting parked this summer.
I've had areas where the F75 LTD got hit pretty hard by EMI while the Tejon just purred along finding targets and running stable as could be. DST on the F75 helped, but did not get the stability of the Tejon.
Tejon really likes the mid-range conductive targets and is not as hot on silver as it is on the lead, nickle, gold range; but it finds silver, just not as deep as the mid-range conductive targets.

I've had areas where the F75 LTD got hit pretty hard by EMI while the Tejon just purred along finding targets and running stable as could be. DST on the F75 helped, but did not get the stability of the Tejon.
Tejon really likes the mid-range conductive targets and is not as hot on silver as it is on the lead, nickle, gold range; but it finds silver, just not as deep as the mid-range conductive targets.
Know any tricks?
Special functions ?
I've read Tips an Tricks.
Thou the way this machine acts. I feel there's More. Like dragging out tone on big iron.
For me after a few weeks poking around.
I've found After GBing.
I fine tune the GB over a target I'm trying to find.
Say a silver quarter.
I don't GB the normal way. I learned this on my Sovereign GT.
I GB so the target gives me the Best signal.
Not blank out.
Seems to Really like this way of GBing.
Your thoughts ???

Last edited:
Monte has posted the "power balance" process in the past; I'm not finding a post with the process spelled out.
The Tejon, like the other Tesoro detectors I've had seems to be a little bit on the positive side when switching to discriminate mode after it was ground balanced to neutral in all metal.
How I do it is to start by balancing in all metal for a neutral ground balance where there is no response over ground while pumping the coil up and down. To power balance, the Tejon has a fairly fast response so a quick pumping of the coil over the ground is needed. As you are pumping the coil over the ground, listen for a response. Normally you will hear a little beep or squeak on the downward part of the pump if it was at neutral in all metal. Turn the ground balance down a little until that sound goes away. If you over shoot, go the other way until it is silent when pumping.
With my Tejon, it has been pretty consistent over different kinds of ground that the "power balanced" setting was about 1/8 of a turn CCW from where it was set to get neutral, or no response when in all metal.

My most used discriminator set up is to take a small nail and a couple of pop top tabs with me. When at the hunting site and ground balanced; set the first discriminator so that the Tejon is just barely clicking on the nail. Set the second one so that the tabs are just clicking. It may take a couple of sweeps with the coil after pulling the switch for the second discriminator to allow the circuit to settle ( you might hear the tab sound pretty good then start to be discriminated out and go to barely clicking when it is all set up). Why I use those settings are that the first one just clicking on a small nail will have me digging bigger iron, but also not missing small gold. Iron sounds different ... and pinpoint can be used to size targets too so you don't dig big iron unless you choose to. The second discriminator setting lets nickles come in clearly, while the tabs click. Gives me the choice of digging a probable tab as it just might, maybe, once in a blue moon be gold, or leaving it. If it is discriminated out cleanly on the second discriminator, it could be foil, can slaw or a smaller piece of gold.

You can set the discriminators up anyway you like. There are times that I have just gone out with the cleansweep coil on it, maxed the discriminator and just dug quarters to "clean up" a playground area or sports field. ... Yeah, I know, not very "sporting", but can quickly turn up a couple dollars in change without digging much if any trash.

Last edited:
+1 above
Balancing your machine in disc involves turning the GB negative until you get a sound on the uplift, then turning back positive until it doesn't sound off. It will work just by lifting the coil quickly, you don't need to bob it. Some peoples' advice is to turn ¼ positive after ground balance in all metal to help quiet the machine in lots of iron. I do know it gets very noisy when the GB is too negative. I just ground balance in pinpoint and stay there. It works better in no motion all metal and I really don't see any disadvantage is disc.

I do know it gets very noisy when the GB is too negative.
Yes it does! As do other detectors.
In areas with highly mineralized ground, setting it up using the power balance method in discriminate mode makes a difference on detection depth in discriminate mode. In mild ground it doesn't make much difference when left at the all metal balance point. I have two ball fields near me that had some real ugly dirt brought in to build the fields. Both fields show very high FE3O4 on my F75 and that is bourne out by the Tejon being ground balanced at a different point for these two fields than anywhere else I've used it.

Monte has posted the "power balance" process in the past; I'm not finding a post with the process spelled out.
The Tejon, like the other Tesoro detectors I've had seems to be a little bit on the positive side when switching to discriminate mode after it was ground balanced to neutral in all metal.
How I do it is to start by balancing in all metal for a neutral ground balance where there is no response over ground while pumping the coil up and down. To power balance, the Tejon has a fairly fast response so a quick pumping of the coil over the ground is needed. As you are pumping the coil over the ground, listen for a response. Normally you will hear a little beep or squeak on the downward part of the pump if it was at neutral in all metal. Turn the ground balance down a little until that sound goes away. If you over shoot, go the other way until it is silent when pumping.
With my Tejon, it has been pretty consistent over different kinds of ground that the "power balanced" setting was about 1/8 of a turn CCW from where it was set to get neutral, or no response when in all metal.

My most used discriminator set up is to take a small nail and a couple of pop top tabs with me. When at the hunting site and ground balanced; set the first discriminator so that the Tejon is just barely clicking on the nail. Set the second one so that the tabs are just clicking. It may take a couple of sweeps with the coil after pulling the switch for the second discriminator to allow the circuit to settle ( you might hear the tab sound pretty good then start to be discriminated out and go to barely clicking when it is all set up). Why I use those settings are that the first one just clicking on a small nail will have me digging bigger iron, but also not missing small gold. Iron sounds different ... and pinpoint can be used to size targets too so you don't dig big iron unless you choose to. The second discriminator setting lets nickles come in clearly, while the tabs click. Gives me the choice of digging a probable tab as it just might, maybe, once in a blue moon be gold, or leaving it. If it is discriminated out cleanly on the second discriminator, it could be foil, can slaw or a smaller piece of gold.

You can set the discriminators up anyway you like. There are times that I have just gone out with the cleansweep coil on it, maxed the discriminator and just dug quarters to "clean up" a playground area or sports field. ... Yeah, I know, not very "sporting", but can quickly turn up a couple dollars in change without digging much if any trash.
Thanks TVR.
Post saved.
What do you think of fine tuning over coins or other items of interest on the ground I plan to search ?
And keeping it stable. Seems to hit harder.
So far anyway.

+1 above
Balancing your machine in disc involves turning the GB negative until you get a sound on the uplift, then turning back positive until it doesn't sound off. It will work just by lifting the coil quickly, you don't need to bob it. Some peoples' advice is to turn ¼ positive after ground balance in all metal to help quiet the machine in lots of iron. I do know it gets very noisy when the GB is too negative. I just ground balance in pinpoint and stay there. It works better in no motion all metal and I really don't see any disadvantage is disc.
What setting is non motion all metal ?
I assume a sound is continuous over a target with coil stationary ?

Give it a try.
Let me know what you think.
Won't be soon. We are in the middle of sorting decades of collected stuff, selling, giving away and otherwise disposing of stuff. Have pretty much decided what we are actually moveing and all the detetors are packed and have been moved. The beach will be my primary detecting area when fully moved. I do have an acre to play on and wife and I have already eye spotted a few coins on the new place. Have also picked up dozens of bottle caps sitting on the surface at the new place. That is where I'll start playing with the Tejon again once we get fully settled.

Won't be soon. We are in the middle of sorting decades of collected stuff, selling, giving away and otherwise disposing of stuff. Have pretty much decided what we are actually moveing and all the detetors are packed and have been moved. The beach will be my primary detecting area when fully moved. I do have an acre to play on and wife and I have already eye spotted a few coins on the new place. Have also picked up dozens of bottle caps sitting on the surface at the new place. That is where I'll start playing with the Tejon again once we get fully settled.
Can't wait to see some sweet finds.
Congratulations on your move.
Hopefully it's everything you hoped for.
We're next.

Reactions: tvr
What setting is non motion all metal ?
I assume a sound is continuous over a target with coil stationary ?
No motion all metal is the "off" setting on the primary disc knob and your assumption is right. If a person is in an area with few targets, this mode tells you the size of the target right away. A coin is just a small beep while a pop can is huge.

No motion all metal is the "off" setting on the primary disc knob and your assumption is right. If a person is in an area with few targets, this mode tells you the size of the target right away. A coin is just a small beep while a pop can is huge.
Thanks PW.
Finally stopped raining here.
Have to put in a stovetop range.
Then maybe I can get out for a bit.

TVR
Where do earrings disc at ?
And does anybody remember in the 80'$ when collecting solid gold beads of various sizes on gold chains was popular ?
Wondering if any of those are out there.
I believe there were silver and platinum as well.
Dahlkempers was the store I saw them at. USA.

Small wire earrings disc out in iron. Sometimes I like to rid the gravel in our city park's kid's playground of nails, needles, wood screws, sharp wire, thumb tacks, etc. by searching in all metal or zero disc. This is where I find small earrings and tiny chains. Bigger earrings with large dangles of copper or silver probably won't disc out.

Small wire earrings disc out in iron. Sometimes I like to rid the gravel in our city park's kid's playground of nails, needles, wood screws, sharp wire, thumb tacks, etc. by searching in all metal or zero disc. This is where I find small earrings and tiny chains. Bigger earrings with large dangles of copper or silver probably won't disc out.
Darn
Hopefully it will be different with that little Sniper coil.

The sniper on a Gold Bug is what I usually use in the playground to get rid of these hazards. Small earrings are hard to find targets but not worth what larger ones are, that is unless they contain diamonds or such. I am sure the Sniper on the Tejon will find small ones if disc is low enough. I would imagine the sound would be a little different than nails and such and would probably pinpoint very small and not move around much but if disc is up to foil, it would probably disappear. The only way to know for sure is to obtain one or two and put them on the ground and see where is discs out and what sounds it makes.

The smaller coil will not change where things discriminate out. For some odd reason, the Compadre has seemed to be a good small gold detector in the playgrounds. Haven't used a Gold Bug, but I'm sure it does well on the small gold too.