Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon or Compadre?

andrew2001

Iam new to metal detecting. I am looking to buy a Tesoro as my Dad and two brothers both have them and love them. I have been looking at a Compadre but I have found an amazing offer on a Tejon. Being completely new to detecting and Tesoro I am not sure which way to go. Any thoughts or advice?

That's a no brainer! If it's a great deal on a good working Tejon, buy it. If you don't like it , sell it for a profit and buy a Compadre with the proceeds. Or buy both and use one as back-up or use the one that's best suited for the site that you're detecting. Tesoro's don't depreciate much, because they're so well built and work great!

tabman

Easy...
Get the Tejon but always expect to add a Compadre to the arsenal in the future.
Near future if you can swing it.
The Compadre can do a few things most others can't, the big guy will take care of the rest.
You should have no trouble picking up enough clad and jewelry to pay for the little C in short order with the Tejon.
Everybody should have a Compadre in the herd...everyone, no matter what else they own and use!
Trust me on this.

The Compadre is an ideal machine for anyone just getting into detecting. It's simple to use, turn on and go, has a single control, great discrimination, and performs really well over almost all soil conditions. The Tejon is a relative opposite. Where the Compadre is all auto tune, the Tejon is primarily manual. You can do a lot more with it, but to someone not familiar with using detectors, it may seem a little more difficult to use all the various controls/knobs for manually tuning and set up. Personally, I prefer a machine that I can manually tune for ground conditions and sensitivity, and the Tejon does this very accurately. I think either would serve you well, the big difference initially being the longer learning curve on the Tejon vs. the simplistic operation of the Compadre. I know the Tejon is not exactly your 'entry level' machine, but, It sound's like you have family with detector experience to go to for help, so, if the Tejon is really that good a deal. . . .that might be the pick!!
Happy Hunting
-Ric

sounds like the odds are on your favor to like metal detecting Get the tejan, way more you can do with that . wa deeper

I would go for the Tejon, I believe I know the one your talking about, its under $300.00 shipped , and just back from service.

Mark

Thanks for all the advice and comments!

Mark,
Where did you see the Tejon? The one I was looking at was $320.

andrew2001 said:
Thanks for all the advice and comments!

Mark,
Where did you see the Tejon? The one I was looking at was $320.
It was on another forum, but I looked back at it and its mark as sold now.

$320.00 is a really good deal on a good condition Tejon.

Mark

Before you rush in to this......Remember The Tejon Runs at The much Higher 17 K Frequency...... along with The Tejon's .... Pop ... Snap... Crackle.... Circuit

The Tejon is more for a specialized type of hunting, like Relic/ jewelry........You might also look at the other Tesoro's for the average General purpose type of Hunting ....Good luck

If you are going to run the Tejon as your first detector, you might want to keep your sensitivity low. That machine runs really hot and you might find high sensitivity overwhelming.

The Compadre is the best detector I ever owned on a cost/find ratio.

There's no reason a Compadre cannot be your primary machine unless you are a deep coin or water hunter.

If I were buying my first detector, unless I could get a super deal on the Tejon, I would buy a Silver Umax over any machine on the market. It's got more features than the Compadre, and is easy to learn. You can make good finds with it right out of the box, but will never outgrow it. It will always have a place in your detecting arsenal, no matter how many detectors you own.

Rob in (Ca) said:
Before you rush in to this......Remember The Tejon Runs at The much Higher 17 K Frequency...... along with The Tejon's .... Pop ... Snap... Crackle.... Circuit

The Tejon is more for a specialized type of hunting, like Relic/ jewelry........You might also look at the other Tesoro's for the average General purpose type of Hunting ....Good luck
I have had two Tejon's and I never had a "Pop...Snap....Crackle... Circuit" noise

Mark

dirt doctor said:
I've seen a few great deals on Vaqueros recently .

I've seen those same great deals. I can't imagine being without one. When I attach a Tesoro 5 x 10 dd coil or a NEL Sharpshooter coil to my Vaquero, I've done really well at finding good targets in the grassy areas between the curbs and sidewalks, and next to driveways. In the video I'm swinging the search coil down my driveway, but the grass is in my neighbor's yard. A lot of those targets got there from the leaf-blowers that my yard service uses to blow off my driveway. Sometimes I forget to remove the targets that I use to practice with.:) Because of that, my neighbor's yard next to my driveway is loaded with coins, pull tabs, can slaw, pry-caps and all kinds of other junk. If you listen very carefully you can tell which targets are the coins and which ones are the trash targets and how deep they are. I put a small orange dot in the center of my coil to focus on. The targets will always be precisely under the that orange dot. I stopped using the pinpoint button to pinpoint with once I learned how to angle and rock the search coil over targets when using a DD coil. It's even simpler pinpointing in the discrimination mode using a concentric coil.. MASH HERE.

Mark CZ , Tesoro's Website Calls it a (high output transmit oscillator) My Hunting Buddy's always called it the, Snap-Crackle- pop - Circuit ?.

They run there Tejon's super Hot, They are always digging small deeeeep Targets with The Tejon's. :thumbup:

Tabman that was a Interesting Video especially for a DD coil as they don't pinpoint all that great, Now how would The Stock Concentric coil do on this

Rob in (Ca) said:
Mark CZ , Tesoro's Website Calls it a (high output transmit oscillator) My Hunting Buddy's always called it the, Snap-Crackle- pop - Circuit ?.

They run there Tejon's super Hot, They are always digging small deeeeep Targets with The Tejon's. :thumbup:

Tabman that was a Interesting Video especially for a DD coil as they don't pinpoint all that great, Now how would The Stock Concentric coil do on this

It's just a tad easier for me to pinpoint using a concentric coil. The Concentric discriminates a little better as well, but it doesn't cover ground as fast as DD coil does. It all depends on where I'm detecting when it comes to which search coil that I use. Sometimes I use both the concentric and DD coils at the same site on the same day.One search coil will find something that the other search coil couldn't. Another thing that's important is how you approach the target. You can grid off a site in one direction and then grid it off going at a different angle and find a nice silver coin that you couldn't believe that you missed on the first grid search. Look what happens in this video using the Tejon. It would easily find the coin swinging the coil going one direction, but can't find it when swinging the coil at a different direction. Mash Here

tabman

Now That Video want's me to, cross walk 2 time's on all my, soccer field, Baseball field, and Tot Lot, Hunts