Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon or Outlaw

j piddle

Wanting a nice beep and dig as a backup , loaner and keep in the truck detector. I like finding diffrent things but the emphasis on coins.I am not a clad hunter at all so for the most part parks and playgrounds are not on the list of places i hunt. Old home sites and old fairgrounds along with old churches are my biggest intrest

It is going to be one of the two but undecided. Hoping you guys can give me the pros and cons of the two machines.
Thanks upfront.
just piddling

Get the outlaw, It is a super relic machine having the no motion all metal , a threshold all metal , and a disc that gets good depth. not super deep like my blisstool but but that 5.75 on it and great at trashy spots or put the 7" DD on it and handle black sand . that only a P.I can detect yes go with the outlaw. its light to . a big advantige, hay if i was hiking thru the woods up hill or mountain outlaw you get into some brush that no one can swing in, hay the outlaw in no motion will get the job done, Gunnar

I would go with the Outlaw as well simply b/c you can get the coil package and I did not care for the batteries under the arm cuff design as I experienced with the Cortes and Deleon. Besides those two points, I'm not sure pro's and cons.

Either one will do the Job ! Guess it is a matter of Choice . I own the Tejon just got it and also a Vaquero and like it a lot has great depth like the Tejon from what I read and hear the Outlaw is a very nice machine So either way they are all Tesoor and you can loose Heck who knows I might trade both my Tejon and Vaquero for an Outlaw either way I am still a winner good luck in your choice

Been considering buying the Tejon or Outlaw too. I've been using a 4" hocky puck on my Silver. That would tend to make me lean towards the Outlaw since they are the same frequency and the 4" isn't available for the Tejon. Plus, the Outlaw is lighter. This may not be a factor to many Swingers out there but I jacked up my swing arm a few years ago so it is important to me.:detecting:

Tab Hunter - After getting over feeling foolish swinging it, I've found the 4" hocky puck to be an amazing coil for the uses it was designed for. And what a pinpointer.
BB

I wish I could help ya and get some time in the field. I got out once with the outlaw and it has been raining cats and dogs since. Flooding in michigan :( Least the ground with be nice and moist for some deep finds :)

Barber, I forgot about the pin-pointer use. It's just so easy to grab the coil end of the detector and scan a clump of dirt in your hand. We live in a neighborhood of 1910 houses. Our yards have an excessive amount of trash. I lent my Silver-U & the 4" to my neighbor. That night he found a 1904 Barber half!!! He says it was 6" down. His yard has been gone over at least 10X by another friend with an MXT & 4X6 coil. I've owned the MXT in the past. Love the machine but it is too heavy now for me. Point is that the 4X6 was probably too big and that is why he missed it (masking). Our yards are about 50' X 80', so there is not much landscape to cover. I truly believe that the extra 2" my friend was toting caused him to miss the Barber!

I am more of a park and playground hunter although I ought to be out looking for older coins and I rather have the Tejon. I have used Outlaw and the Tejon and they each are great detectors but I like the features the Tejon has, no fancy bells & whistles just enough useful stuff to make it a great and fun to use detector. I call the Tejon the do it all detector.

Well, I am only a few months old to this hobby and my Outlaw, but so far I have to say that I do not think the Outlaw is a great choice for a strictly coin-only machine. No doubt the no-motion all metal is a benefit for relic hunters and in my experience the Outlaw goes pretty deep. However, I have not found a difference in the sounds of deep bent nails, beaver tails, and coins. Bent nails and beaver tails will often (very often) not Disc out on this machine if they are over 4" deep (at least not in my very mild/neutral Idaho soil). Thats a BIG deal if your concentrating on fairgrounds and home sites. I do most of my hunting with the 8" donut coil so the 5.75" might help with this. I have only a few hours on 5.75 in tot lots and haven't found a big difference betwwen it and the 8" coil, but that's a small sample size. In my limited experience, the Outlaw finds a BUNCH of stuff, much of it well into the 8-12" range, but it has problems letting the user know what it has found prior to digging and has problems ignoring what the user asks it to - especially old pull tabs and any iron bigger than a fingernail. The only clue I have managed to get from it is that if Im into the 9-10" range and still havent located my target, its likely an iron nail or similar sized ferrous item (however, see Stix's recent post regarding target ID using super pinpointing). But its hard to dig 9 inches on a solid sounding target and simply give up! It has NEVER been a coin (out of several dozen digs at that depth) and Ive had the disc maxed out on some of them with a good signal still being sent.

I'm really not trying to bash on the Outlaw, I'm just trying to give an honest opinion on what I find to be a shortcoming if one wants to specialize in coins. Its a great all-around detector, but there has got to be other better Tesoros that target coins only. For instance, I used my wife's Silver uMax when the Outlaw was getting a check-up and I found i could tell differences in audio response of coins vs iron much better with this machine. The Umax seemed (again, only my perception, not an empirical study) to ignore the pull tabs a little better too. I also didn't see any difference in depth, but that's pretty hard to compare when only using one machine at a time and with only a 40-50 hours on the machines combined.

Anyway, I hope that helps with your decision. The Outlaw is a pretty cool machine IMO, but I'm not sure Id buy it with a coin-only agenda. Ive got nothing to add regarding the Tejon, only that Ive been wondering about it myself...

Mojo hit it on the head.....i dont think any non metered machine is a good choice for coins. A metered machine is superior in every way for coins..period. Hell my f2 will blow the outlaw away every day all day if coin count is the agenda..great relic machine though..

I have the Silver uMax and the tone does give differences on trash. Round coins give a nice smooth sound and junk targets give double beeps or are not clean at the begining and end of the tone. I can disc. out a fair amount of junk, but any detector can be fooled depending on conductivity and shape of the target. For less than $260 new it is hard to go wrong on this simple beep and dig. If you have nasty soil bear in mind the ground balance is fixed on this detector.

Idxpro said:
Mojo hit it on the head.....[size=large]i dont think any non metered machine is a good choice for coins. A metered machine is superior in every way for coins[/size]..period. Hell my f2 will blow the outlaw away every day all day if coin count is the agenda..great relic machine though..
I am not one to argue :rolleyes: but I do not agree with that.

Sorry Ski, but with a vdi display coin hunting is alot easier and much more productive than thunming a disc knob constantly. I have put my f2 up against the outlaw 5 or 6 times now checking eachothers targets and the numbers make coin shooting alot easier in every way. Bottle caps dont come up as 82 as do quarters, yet the outlaw doesnt know the difference. Zinc pennies are 62 all day, but the outlaw cant tell the difference between these and Alot of similar junk. A nickle is always 30, on and on...... How can a non metered machine be faster and simpler for coin shooting? The outlaw is definately deeper and more sensitive..that i wont argue

Idxpro said:
Sorry Ski, but with a vdi display coin hunting is alot easier and much more productive than thunming a disc knob constantly. I have put my f2 up against the outlaw 5 or 6 times now checking eachothers targets and the numbers make coin shooting alot easier in every way. Bottle caps dont come up as 82 as do quarters, yet the outlaw doesnt know the difference. Zinc pennies are 62 all day, but the outlaw cant tell the difference between these and Alot of similar junk. A nickle is always 30, on and on...... How can a non metered machine be faster and simpler for coin shooting? The outlaw is definately deeper and more sensitive..that i wont argue

What VDI number does your F2 give a dime with a pull tab a half inch from it? Are you going to dig that VDI number? If I have the discrimination set to crackle and pop on a pull tab with any Tesoro detector, it'll give a clean 'dig me" tone on a dime with a pull tab a half inch from it. Yeah, I do dig my fair share of screw caps, but I don't waste much time doing it.

tabman

tabman said:
Idxpro said:

What VDI number does your F2 give a dime with a pull tab a half inch from it? Are you going to dig that VDI number? If I have the discrimination set to crackle and pop on a pull tab with any Tesoro detector, it'll give a clean 'dig me" tone on a dime with a pull tab a half inch from it. Yeah, I do dig my fair share of screw caps, but I don't waste much time doing it.

tabman

Bingo. This is what I am noticing with the ATpro and outlaw. Some of the signals I would never dig turn out to be good signals. VID numbers are not accurate deep or with trash around. I will say if your all about speed and do not mind overlooking targets then VDI is definitly faster.

There is no doubt, any vdi machine will do the bounce with junk near by. I think a non metered would be great to hit the area after a metered machine for the situation you stated, however, hitting a park with lots of coins with a non metered is a joke by todays standards. Now im talking strictly coin shooting. Sure you may miss the ones mixed in close to the trash, but we are talking about production here not specialty situations. I can notch out all but dimes nickles and quarters and kill it in a park with a very good ratio of coins to junk. Again strictly coin shooting, nothing more. Are you telling me a cortez or a deleon isnt a much more PRODUCTIVE coin machine than a non metered? Although i dont own, it would just have to be so. Maybe someone who owns one can chime in. As long as we keep it real, knowledge will make us all better..

Idxpro said:
There is no doubt, any vdi machine will do the bounce with junk near by. I think a non metered would be great to hit the area after a metered machine for the situation you stated, however, hitting a park with lots of coins with a non metered is a joke by todays standards. Now im talking strictly coin shooting. Sure you may miss the ones mixed in close to the trash, but we are talking about production here not specialty situations. I can notch out all but dimes nickles and quarters and kill it in a park with a very good ratio of coins to junk. Again strictly coin shooting, nothing more. Are you telling me a cortez or a deleon isnt a much more PRODUCTIVE coin machine than a non metered? Although i dont own, it would just have to be so. Maybe someone who owns one can chime in. As long as we keep it real, knowledge will make us all better..

Also they bounce on deper signals. I am with ya on speed and just coin shooting. I am also in agrrement that you can clean the area with a VDI and take the rest out with non metered and even find some bonus rings in that mix.

Idxpro said:
I am willing to bet that if you take any metered detector you want to a park that is loaded with junk and coins and take a non metered detector (Tesoro) to the same park and have experienced using people using the machines, the person with the non meter (Tesoro) will produce just as many coins to junk ratio if setting the discrimination high. Yes nickels would be disc.'d out but a detector (non metered) with notch would disc. out most of the junk and leave in the nickels. You might be right about the metered detectors but alot of us ole beep & diggers might not agree. What ever detector/detectors makes us happy to use is what it is all about.

Idxpro said:
Mojo hit it on the head.....i dont think any non metered machine is a good choice for coins. A metered machine is superior in every way for coins..period. Hell my f2 will blow the outlaw away every day all day if coin count is the agenda..great relic machine though..

With all due Respect this is BS all depends on the user I know a fella that uses a non metered machine and he knows it very well since it is the only machine he has used in thirty years and I have used a metered machine in the same park and he has kicked my tail more times than I can count on coin count and value amount . I use non metered machines not to say I dont like the Deleon Cause I am thinking of getting one , but in MHO it does have a lot to do with the person and the comfort zone of the machine like I said JMHO not wanting to start a conflict of machines