Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon or Vaquero

KyJoe

Looking to join the Tesoro ranks. I have a Civil war era homesite on my farm that has produced many buttons, buckles and a belt plate. Lots of iron nails. Mainly low conductors on this site, no silver yet. Which would handle the nails and find the low conductors better, Vaq or Tejon? Thanks

I own and hunt with several tesoro's at late 19th century homesteads that are littered with iron square nails and small flakes of tin. If I had to only choose one for this type of environment it would be the vaquero cause it is better all around on all types of metal. You will be surprised at how it finds the goods including that elusive silver

I've only tried a friends Tejon but have used my Vaquero extensively. I prefer the Vaquero and lately have been running it with a Tesoro 5.75 inch concentric coil. It's a fine little machine and so far has held it's own against other units from Garret and Minelab.

Well, if your wanting to work around as many of those nails as possible (reject them that is) and if the nails or any of your digs is 5" or deeper then the Vaquero is not the one I'd choose. The reason is with the Vaquero to get really deep you'll need to super tune it, doing that the Vaquero losing a vast amount of its discrimination abilities and that means your going to be digging most of those deeper nails. The Tejon on the other hand doesn't have to be super tuned (well you can't super tune it) to get to the deeper stuff, so it MUCH better maintains its discrimination abilities.

Mark

that's why I love this forum :bouncy: everyone has used different machines settings and coils and made them do what they want them too or close to it.

so there is no right or wrong answer but I would probably go an Outlaw or a Micromax machine :jump:

AJ

Thanks for all the response. I'm leaning towards the Tejon but I've been watching a lot of Outlaw videos tonight also.

You can super tune any analog machine as long as it runs the ground balance on the disc side of the circuit and has a threshold control. This member is looking for the unit that would be best for pulling out the old silver. I know the tejon can do it but you can get the same results with the vaquero and it is a little cheaper. Also turning the ground balance down slightly negative is the real reason it is so called "super tuned" I am not sure what metal detector you have been using so far on this site but it sounds like you have done pretty good so far with it. Also it is easier to carry around 1 extra 9 volt battery than it is to take another 8 AA batteries with you. I would highly consider the vaquero for what your after such as the other forum members have already said. Good luck and let us know.

you know what -? I have used each of them and i can't tell the diff , the lower KHZ of the Vaq may give it a tiny advantage on high conductors-

I thought he said "low" conductors? That would have to go to the Tejon, but I prefer the Vaquero more just because it is lighter and the most fun! But since your soil is mild, as is mine, I like the Cibola maybe even more.

No,tejon because I have one on the way,tejon all the way.lol:lmfao:

I had both and now have only the Tejon! I love the machine and have since sold the Vaquero. I liked the options an depth much better on the Tejon!

I'll probably end up with both but for now I got the Black Vaquero with 11X8 coil on the way. My wife wants to hunt our civil war site with me and I think the Vaq is a bit easier to handle. For some reason not many used Vaqueros for sale but Tejons come up regular, so I'll probably get a used Tejon. Thanks for all the response, I appreciate it.

Oh and thanks to Richard at Backwoods Metal Detectors for the great deal!

Richard is a great guy to do business with and congrats on your new V.

I don't relic hunt but the V has found some deep bits of you know bass copper etc.. odd shaped bits of what ever so it should do pretty good from what I have seen. T was good on coins with a small DD coil as in 4" or less and that's only cause those where the sort of spots I used it in nice machine also but couldn't get past the 8 battery's.

AJ

I will never become an expert on any machine . I read the technical talk on these forums and know I will never amass that much knowledge .Having never used a Tejon I cannot possibly compare the two . I will say this about the Vaquero . I have put in hundreds of hours with it and have reached a point that I listen for the tiniest signals and can translate what the unit is saying . On some detectors that display will be jumping all over the place and inexperienced users would probably pass them up . I hear a deep coin its going to get dug . Sure I get fooled plenty and many a deep coin turned out to be a shallow 22 shell casing but when the tesoro sound becomes familiar you will start listening for those faint signals that others pass by . Good luck and whatever unit you pick will be a good one .