Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon owners, some input please

Stoof-tabsallday

So I got my new to me black Tejon in the mail. I'm still at work so I haven't played with it yet.
My question is about the GB pot.
It has lateral play in it. Not turning play, but up down side to side play, almost like it's loose (think turning on it off a light switch rather than rotating it.)
I don't recall any of my other detectors with ground balance having this.
Again I haven't been able to take home and rest it thoroughly or anything, but it just worries me lol.
Can anyone chime in if this is normal? I see there is an o-ring on the pot stem too that I'll need to replace.
I hope it's normal. Seems to function normally and spins until the ends and keeps spinning like it should. The knob also seems far out from the face but that seems to be because of the o-ring that's in the groove on the pot stem.
Maybe I'm worrying too much but just curious if this is normal.
The nut securing the pot to the face is tight. There's just some lateral play in all directions if I push on the side of the knob

Well, as best as I can tell inside and at 3am the knob does work. It was tough finding an area of floor in my place that didn't sound off. My other detectors it was easier. This thing is picking up all wires and fixtures and everything but I did find a spot with nothing and was able to successfully get it from positive to negative and find a happy medium, but different than my other machines.
Maybe because I'm inside. But I got it in the middle but not steady. It sounded on the drop and in the raise of the coil. But it is working. I'll just have to be careful with it I guess.
Still interested if any other Tejon owners have this
It's a relatively new machine. Serial number falls between my 5 compadre and my first Mojave .
I plan on checking my other GB pots on other detectors too. Unless the Tejon uses a special pot they should all be the same.

I attempted to try the knob without the o-ring, but it doesn't move the pot without the o-ring it seems. My other machines don't have that recess in the pot stem for the o-ring or the o-ring. New to me I guess.

I just checked the GB knob on my black Tejon. It might have a tiny bit of play, but nothing that I would have noticed if I hadn't been looking. I did have a loose knob on another machine but that was due to the faceplate nut needing tightening, so doesn't explain your situation.

As for the knob working, I wouldn't worry too much about how it behaves inside the house. My Tejon wails like a banshee indoors... I've never tried to balance it there. When you get a chance, try ground balancing it outdoors. The Tejon is a bit sparkier than other Tesoros, but you'll quickly get the hang of it.

-Ken

I just checked the GB knob on my black Tejon. It might have a tiny bit of play, but nothing that I would have noticed if I hadn't been looking. I did have a loose knob on another machine but that was due to the faceplate nut needing tightening, so doesn't explain your situation.

As for the knob working, I wouldn't worry too much about how it behaves inside the house. My Tejon wails like a banshee indoors... I've never tried to balance it there. When you get a chance, try ground balancing it outdoors. The Tejon is a bit sparkier than other Tesoros, but you'll quickly get the hang of it.

-Ken
Does yours have the knob sitting further out than the others and does the GB pot stem have that recess and an o-ring?
And thank you for the reply!!!
Yes it's definitely more sparky than any of my other detectors lol

Does yours have the knob sitting further out than the others and does the GB pot stem have that recess and an o-ring?
And thank you for the reply!!!
Yes it's definitely more sparky than any of my other detectors lol

Yeah, the GB knob is raised higher than the others -- funny I never noticed that before. I don't see evidence of an o-ring though. I've attached a photo; the GB knob is the one closest to the bottom.

-Ken

Attachments

• Tejon_GB_Knob.JPG
    Tejon_GB_Knob.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 206
Yeah, the GB knob is raised higher than the others -- funny I never noticed that before. I don't see evidence of an o-ring though. I've attached a photo; the GB knob is the one closest to the bottom.

-Ken
O-ring is there I think. Your knob is pushed down the pot shaft into it. Lol you'd have to loosen the two set screws and take off the knob I think to see it.
Is your pot really easy to turn? In the usable area I mean not at the ends where there's resistance.

I have a 2011 lightly used Tejon. The Ground Adjust knob is larger and mounted farther from the face-plate than the other knobs. When I push it in a non-twisting direction it feels kind of wobbly. I didn’t loosen the set screws and remove the knob but it does look like their is a black rubber O-ring at the bottom of the knob. When I rotate the knob I can see the thickest part of the shaft rotate at a lower speed and distance than the knob itself.

I never noticed any of this before checking just now.

O-ring is there I think. Your knob is pushed down the pot shaft into it. Lol you'd have to loosen the two set screws and take off the knob I think to see it.
Is your pot really easy to turn? In the usable area I mean not at the ends where there's resistance.

Just checked -- it's not really easy to turn even in its "active" range. I mean, I can turn it without difficulty, but it's stiff enough that bumping it accidentally won't cause it to move.

-Ken

Just checked -- it's not really easy to turn even in its "active" range. I mean, I can turn it without difficulty, but it's stiff enough that bumping it accidentally won't cause it to move.

-Ken
Hmm. Maybe mines just worn. Looks like the o-ring causes the friction between the inner stem and outer stem. From what I understand the pot works with a gear reduction. The o-ring, through friction, lets the inner stem move the outer stem (or vice versa). Or something like that.
Mine is very easy to spin, but maybe it's the o-ring... Looks like it's seem better days.
Thanks for the info and reply!!!