Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon slow re-tune threshold?

dmgadway

The Tejon is my favorite detector, only thing i really dont like about it is the slow re-tune threshold! I find it makes the all metal mode virtually useless! What purpose does a slow retune threshold have? There must be a use/purpose for it? Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

dmgadway,
My thoughts:
It retunes in the clicked in all metal a little bit slower than it does in pinpoint mode. I find the retune in pinpoint too fast. Have to keep the coil moving a lot over the target to keep it from tuning to the target and going silent. The movement needed in pinpoint is frequently more and quicker movement than I like. In the clicked in all metal (using the knob to select all metal), it slows the retune down a little compared to the pinpoint. That lets a moderate sweep speed lengthen the tone rise when passing over a target and lets me slow down to explore targets for size, shape and depth.

I am curious about how you hunt in all metal that the retune characteristics don't work well with. Maybe help me learn about using some of my other detectors better.
Cheers,
tvr

tvr,
Thanks for the reply! I hunt mostly for coins, i use a rather quick sweep speed, i prefer the pinpoint fast retune. I mainly use it to size check signals that wont discriminate out. iron targets give a very wide signal, coins tend to be very narrow. My tejons all metal re tune speed is very slow. So slow that its almost like hunting in the silent search discriminate mode. in some areas i hunt I have heard nothing but target reponses and no threshold at all. Also makes it a slow process trying to ground balance it in all metal. Maybe in areas with few targets it would be more suitable for my style of hunting.

Sounds like you sweep a bit quicker than I normally do. I like sweeping medium to slower and listening to the edges of the beep. It may be how I mentally process things, but I have slowed down the sweep with the Tesoros and have found my good recoveries go up. That has been true with most detectors I've tried. On the F75 and XL Pro I have, I've found they can sometimes benefit from a little quicker sweep in discriminate mode; again it may be how I process what they are telling me.

I have experienced areas with so much metal in the ground that the only way I could separate targets was with a small coil and going slow; in either all metal or discriminate mode. I prefer the Tejon in discriminate mode, the F75 is what I am most likely to use if I am going to hunt in all metal mode in trashy areas ... with an eye on the ID.

Hope you turn up lots of coins!
Cheers,
tvr

Tvr,
Ill give it a try in all metal with a much slower sweep speed and see if I can find a practicle use for it. I do use the 5.75 widescan coil exclusively with my Tejon. I do have the standard conc. coil, but havnt found a use for it here in New mexico. The ground here is very hard and most good targets are 1-5 inches deep. I find the small coil gets excellent depth and really helps in trashy areas. Thanks for the insight Tvr! happy hunting!:thumbup: