Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon the deepest on most targets?

heavymetalbeeper, I have owned a few Tesoro detectors and by far the Tejon is the deepest detector. I have owned a Compadre, Silver µmax, Golden Saber, Deleon, Cortes, Vaquero, and a Tejon.
I still have my 8" coil Compadre and my Tejon. I have never used a Lobo, but for depth, the Tejon is the king in my ground here in west central Illinois. The Vaquero has great depth, but the Tejon will be close to 3 inches deeper.
I like the lighter weight of the Vaquero and the one 9 volt battery it uses, but the Tejon is only a few ounces heavier and has many more features. Both the Vaquero and Tejon will hit tiny brass ,copper , and lead targets at depths you have to see to believe.
The Cortes seemed to be a good detector but lacked manual ground balance in the disc mode. The meter was small and hard to see also. If you are a coin and relic hunter either a Vaquero or Tejon will serve you well, plus they will bang hard on gold items.....HH

Roger

As stated above you have see it to believe it. The Tejon will hit the smallest things at mind boggling depths. I hit a dime at 9" that was such a clear loud signal I honestly expected it to be in the first 3" and thought for sure my ProPointer would hit it from the surface. I know it was 9" deep because that is how long my ProPointer is. I have found that the Tejon does like a faster swing speed on deeper targets and you can see this when air testing.

Now some say the Silver uMax is as deep as it gets in mild soil with the 10 x 12 coil on it. One of these days I am gonna buy the 10x12 for my Silver.

The deepest in my opinion is a Tiger Shark in all metal mode with a light background threshold hum. In my fresh test garden (less than 2 years old) it is the only detector that could get all coins at 8", 10", and most at 12". Several people have tried their detectors on my test garden. With it being fresh and disturbed soil, no detectors do well for depth in it except the Tiger Shark.

My soil is mild, mostly sandy in the areas I hunt. Your results may vary.

I've never used the Tejon, but across the forums they have a reputation for great depth. In my own experience with Tesors, I can say I've gotten very good depth from the Deleon, Cortez, and the Vaquero.
BB

My Tejon when power balanced hits my test dime at 7 1/2" and quarter at 8" with the coil 2" off the ground with the 9x8 coil. I look forward to getting some other Tesoros too. The Tejon is my deep seeker.

Rick, N. MI

I have not used a Lobo, but have several other Tesoros. Tejon is the one I go to and I found as the deepest. I found a nice 2 cent coin at least 10" deep and feel that I could have picked it up deeper if needed. I have also picked up BB sized items that othe detectors pass right over at pretty good depth as well. I had sold my original Tejon, but could not live without one and had to buy another and will not be without it now. The Dues has my interest, but the price holds me back. I have not seen where it would be deeper, but the ability to change frequency caught my eye. I had the Vaquero and tried the super tune and though good, I still found the Tejon deeper and with the second discriminator, you cannot go wrong.

In my soil here in North Georgia the Tejon was to prone to false due to ground minerals I was constantly having to re-ground balance it my buddy uses a Vaquero and when he had his supertuned it would beat my Tejon in his test garden. I may have had a dud machine though.

Why? Really not sure if it would need to be supertuned it runs pretty hot as I most users set them up

heavymetalbeeper said:
because 88 junior mentioned a supertuned Vaquero read deeper than his Tejon

Most people think that they have to have the sensitivity into the red to get depth. That is just not true. Sensitivity = receiver amplification, not power output. Transmit power is fixed.

88 Junior, did you try turning the sensitivity down?

When you super tune a Vaq. you loose some disc. ability, from what experienced users say. In decent soil the Tejon will go deeper than most people care to dig. You don't want to leave 1 foot deep craters in a public park. I have abandoned more than on deep dig in a park.

Guys me and my buddy only use the Tejon and Vaquero on relics not for coin shooting. We both use widescan coils to help with ground minerals his Vaquero with 10x12 Tesoro widescan supertuned beat my Tejon with same coil on in ground depth test. As far as sensitivity I had to run it on 8-9 in order to keep the machine stable. Even at those settings his supertuned Vaquero still seemed to be more stable than my Tejon.

88junior said:
Guys me and my buddy only use the Tejon and Vaquero on relics not for coin shooting. We both use widescan coils to help with ground minerals his Vaquero with 10x12 Tesoro widescan supertuned beat my Tejon with same coil on in ground depth test. As far as sensitivity I had to run it on 8-9 in order to keep the machine stable. Even at those settings his supertuned Vaquero still seemed to be more stable than my Tejon.

I guess I have to remember I have very mild soil and I use mine for coin hunting. I guess If I had a Vaq and was relic hunting, I would supertune it also.

Can I expect the Tejon to detect about double the depth of my 8" Compadre in good ground or would I need a larger coil than the stock one on the Tejon? If I can hit a quarter at 8" with my Compadre will the Tejon do almost 16"?

heavymetalbeeper said:
Can I expect the Tejon to detect about double the depth of my 8" Compadre in good ground or would I need a larger coil than the stock one on the Tejon? If I can hit a quarter at 8" with my Compadre will the Tejon do almost 16"?

Nope. Not a chance. If you can't air test it at 16" you aren't gonna find it in the ground at 16". Depends on soil and a whole host of other factors for max depth. If you want 16" on a Quarter you need a PI. On land, not a beach, it would be doubtful there would ever be a quarter at that depth unless there was fill placed in that area at some point in time. Coins can get quite deep by in sandy areas, but not that deep. Of course if they were I wouldn't know because my Tejon can't get that deep.