Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tek-Point Pin pointer operating frequencies

BH505Man

Does anyone know what the 16 frequencies are that the Tek-Point pin pointer can be set to operate at. Perhaps Dave Johnson can answer this. The reason I want to know is because then I can set it either higher or lower than the metal detector frequency to help eliminate interference between the two.

The Tek-Point pin pointer works on Pulse Induction technology,most modern detectors work on VLF freq,so in theory they will crosstalk,thats the only down side of using Pulse technology,you can slightly shift the frequencies on both VLF and Pulse but its a possibility that you wont eliminate the problems totally.

When i go on a club dig most machines as mentioned above do operate on VLF but when i use my Pulse detector it can cause problems in a 20ft radius or even more on some days on other detectors.

That still doesn't answer my question. I want to know what the 16 frequencies are that it can be switched to to operate on.

The specific frequencies don't matter to the user. What matters is what frequency selection works best under a given set of conditions.

Nominally the TX periods are
400us
401us
402us
415us

Invert each to get frequency. Basically 2500 Hz down to 2410 Hz.
You'll notice none of these directly correlate to any metal detector frequency. Plus there is statistical variation in both the pinpointer and the detector frequencies. Ergo, your best bet is to find it by finding it.

--Carl

Thanks for your post Carl.
Walt

Well this May I bought a Teknetics Tek-point pinpointer. I thought I knew everything it was supposed to do. I consider myself only an intermediate level detectorist. Before this year, I've never bought or used an electronic pinpointer. People in my detector club are always swearing about the black and the orange Garrett units. I've read the specs, I've heald one in my hand. A club member let me try it out on a hunt. I'm sorry but I did not like it. I guess I don't get the hype.

After a week of using the Tek-point - I must say I am frustrated. The manual clearly states the default setting for the unit is 70% LED brightness, Medium Audio Tone, and Audio + Vibrate modes. When I put fresh AA alkaline ultras in the unit and turned it on for first time I never got any Vibrate. When I tried it in the field by myself, I never could get the Vibrate. When I was on a club hunt, around 30 other hunters - the Tek-point would go off even when I had it in my hand, I assume from all the other folks close to me. After 20 minutes of not being able to use it properly, I turned it off and went back to the slow way.

I ended up contacting my dealer who suggested I contact Teknetics. So I got in touch with some folks from Teknetics. I told them everything it wasn't doing. After a few days, One of the tech reps informed me they are sending me out a replacement unit. My biggest issue is, No one ever told me what was wrong with it, no one told me how to troubleshoot it. The answer seems to be, we'll send you a replacement Tek-point and then I send back the "defective" one. I don't know if I will have the same issues again.

Take it for what its worth. I'm not trying to disparage anyone or any company. I just thought people should know.

Irademac08, perhaps it is a known issue for a certain batch of Teknetics pointers. Did they ask you for a serial number ? If it is a known issue there is no point in trying to troubleshoot it. Personally I'll wait until next season before buying one.