Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Teknetics coils, for Mark 1

Old California

I see an interest continues with the older Teknetics models especially the Mark 1, here are several that will work with the older Teknetics models.

The old Bounty hunter coils, and the older Whites coils with an adaptor. My memory for the kHz has long faded away, if anyone can remember what the kHz are I appreciate you share so others can get the right coils.

Also, The Fisher F2/F4 DD 7"X11" coil will plug into the older Teknetics models. Great coil for DD coverage, will loose some sensitivity on tiny finds but great for coverage.

Used to make my own adaptors,

(Teknetics)
8" Bountyhunter coil,
10" Bountyhunter/Teknetics coil,
12" Teknetics Hothead coil,
7"X10" DD F2/F4 Fisher coil,

(Whites) With adaptor,

4.5" Blue Max 350
6" Shooter coil, (not pictured)
6" Elminator coil,
8" coil,
10" coil,
1" Inline probe,

Couldn't find the Whites 6" Shooter coil, have one but its boxes away.

What's in the pic should get the Teknetics new comers headed in the right direction.

Paul (Ca)

Thanks for info!!

6.592khz is the operating frequency for old Whites and Tek Machines.

Does the Fisher DD coil have the proper 5 pin plug for a Mark or is an adapter required?

Thanks J-Rob,

Appreciate you sharing the kHz on these two old machines, with the continuous interest on the old Teknetics models these Tek newbies are experimenting with coils.

Yes, the Fisher F2/F4 DD coil is the push in type without the need of an adaptor, neat coil for coverage but lost some of the sensitivity on small targets.

Thanks again,
Paul (Ca)

Meant to include this on the tread above, the coils pictured above are not for sale.

Thank for your time,
Paul

I had my Tek Mark III out yesterday for a quick spin. I didn't find anything "good" but I was able to pick lots of oddball non-ferrous out of a literal dump area at the edge of the nearest woods full of 1940s-50s bottles and trash while not digging much iron and screwcaps.

The Mark I and III were reamarkable machines with perhaps the best audio information of all time. Solid coin, brass, copper, and lead targets really stand out from the mass of trash when you learn the language. Came home with a few plumbing fixtures, whatzits, 22 shorts, 12 ga shells in my pouch.

Yeah, its a heavy detector but a lot of people pay good money to go to a gym for exercise, right?

You're right J-Rob, Allot of people pay good money for exercise and we get it for free lugging around a metal detector :)

And thanks for mentioning you also have the Mark III and managed to take her out for a spin, very encouraging seeing others like yourself continue to use the older models.

Both the Mark 1 and Mark III are depth demons, even with the stock 7.25" coil depth is fantastic. One thing I've noticed with the stock 7.25" coil is that it reduces EMI interference, those that have this coil should use it more offen it's an excellent coil for both separation and decent depth.

I too have a Mark III, currently under modification hopefully complete the mod soon when I have an extra free day in the future. Also, the meter assembly on the Mark III uses the Bountyhunter analog type same as the Bud Series type. The order Teknetics including the Mark 1 use the older Whites analog meter type, just in case anyone wants to modify the Mark III they can use meter parts from the old Bountyhunter models.

Did a depth comparison on several of the Teknetics coils with my Mark 1 this morning, boy was I suprised at the results.

Will post the Mark 1 depth results later, on this forum.

Thanks again J-Rob,
Paul (Ca)

While doing some routine Spring maintenance on my old school detector collection this past weekend, I put new batteries in my Mark I and Mark III.

On an indoor air test with a clad quarter, I get 9-10" on the Mark III and 10-11" with the Mark I (with depth mod). That is with disc at minimum and sensitivity at maximum, stock 7 1/4" coil.

I thought the Mark III was just a simplified Mark 1. Meters look the same. On my Mark 1, modified to use a Whites S pole, I have a Whites 6000 SL Pro meter. My Mark 1 was the gray one originally equipped with a boring black and white meter, not the red box with a colorful meter. The Whites meter was very familiar to me and a bit easier to read at arms length.

Over the years, I have been through many detectors but kept a core collection of analog oldies but goodies: Tek Mark I and III, Discovery Cobra II, Gold Mountain GMT 1650. Eagle II SL, Eagle Spectrum, Nautilus DMC-2.

In fact at the moment, I don't have any newer detectors! Can't think of anything in my price range I'm wanting to buy! Kinda want a 5900 SL Pro though. Maybe I'll flip the Eagle Spectrum and pick one up.

I'd be curious how your Marks air test on a quarter as a data point to help evaluate mine. Seems like they are still running good...

You quarter air test results are very similar to my Mark 1, safe to say your Mark 1 will have the same results with the other size coils I tested this morning. I'll post the results later today or tomorrow.

The 5900 SL-Pro is a good choice if you get one, That too is one of my favorites perfer Manuel GB over the 6000 Di-Pro. Have owned both but I favor the 5900 Di-Pro, good choice you'll like it allot.

Sounds like we did the same type Mark 1 mod, I used a gutted Explorer housing to hold the analog meter. Going to use a TDI handle setup for the Mark III mod, use a Compass Challenger
meter housing to hold the Mark III analog meter. Looks Sharp the housing is small yet full meter face visabitly. Just need a full day to put it back together.

Would like to see yours if you ever get the chance to post the mod, I'll post mine below. Hit a tot lot this morning, switched to the Fisher F-2/F-4 DD for coverage.

Take care J-Rob,
Paul (Ca)

I have a Tek Eagle Pro and have two questions. Does the Fisher F4 coil fit on the stock Tek lower rod? Also did the Tek 7" coil ever come with a coil cover? Thanks for the info. Love my Eagle Pro.

I have a coil cover on one of my Tek 7"ers. It is black and it is hard to see that it is even installed.

If you look at the coil you will see that the lower half is stepped in about 1/16" ...that recess is for the cover.

With the cover on, the outside edge is even top to bottom.

Congrats with owning an Eagle Pro, those are rare not too many of them around.

J-Rob is right, the 7.25" coil do have a coil cover for them. And yes the Fisher F-2/F-4 DD coil will fit with the Teknetics stock lower rod, even the one ear lower rods will fit just need to apply a plastic washer between the split on the lower rod.

Here's a couple of quick pics, the Hawk is very similar to your Eagle and yours shouldnt have any problems with the Fisher DD coil.

Congrats again with the Eagle Pro.
Paul (Ca)

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'm going to have to search for the 7" Tek cover. Since the 11" f4 coil works on the Tek, it would imply, that with an adapter, this coil would also work on the older Whites Coinmasters. My first machine was a Whites Series 2 6000 di. The Eagle Pro with 3 filters works well in our moderater soil. Thanks

Yes, With an adaptor the F-2/F-4 DD coil will work with your Whites Series 2 6000 Di. Keep in mind the 7"X10" DD coil will get one inch less in depth but will have DD coverage, its a trade off but the extra ground coverage from the lighter DD coil is a plus.

Checked all my Teknetics 7.25" coils and only one has a coil cover, you shouldn't get much coil wear on the 7.25" coil this particular coil it a tough one.

On another note, I have the Eagle Pro but it's a prototype. Just like yours but missing the two side eagle Pro decals, One of the first eagles made and like you very glad to have one.

Paul (Ca)

When you guys say the Mark I will hit a quarter at 10-11'' is this with proper I.D.? I was just curiuos as I have a soft spot for old analogs to. I have an old Whites 6000/XL-PRO that is a lot of fun to use. It will hit and properly I.D. a quarter at 11'' with the signal balance at 2'o clock in GEB DISC. A little deeper in GEB SAT. Some say these XL-PRO'S were the deepest detector Whites made even though being a 4 filter do require a faster sweep.

Hi Harold,

The Mark 1 will ID a coin a bit higher as depth increases, And the audio pitch will increases higher as well.

HH, Paul (Ca)

sure would like that red coil for my mark 1 LTD, When I bought that detector band new from outdoors outfitters for some reason I never got the red coil with it. It was a open box when I got it, I suppose he took it out and sold it to someone else and I ended up with a grey one I suspect he took out of another box.. oh well . I think this winter I will send it in to East Texas have him go over and do what ever he does to mod it out.. The detector is not on the shaft anymore outdoors outfitters did a conversion on it where you use a strap that goes around your shoulder like those guys do playing a guitar. One time I left on the back of the car on the trunk lid and I'm going down the road and I hear a crash and bang so I LOOK in the mirror and I see it sliding down the road at like 25 or 30 miles a hour .I thought I was going to have a heart attack or something, anyway I pull over and ran over to it and all it did was ware some of the knobs down. all I got to say is that thing is built like a armored tank and it still works to this day.
hybridcruiser

Hey, all.

I recently acquired a 12" Hot Head Coil originally used on the Whites 6.6 kHz detectors. I intend to use it on my Teknetics Mark I. I made an adapter cable for it. It seemed to be good when I bench tested it, with the readings coming in slightly lower than the Fisher DD coil I've been running. When I tested over ground, I ran into some issues. I couldn't get it to ground balance properly. No matter how I adjusted it, the threshold tone would disappear as the coil approached the ground. There also seemed to be a good amount of falsing going on, a lot of high tones. This falsing occurs also if the coil is shook/impacts something and when pumping the coil to the ground, as when ground balancing most machines. Is some sensitivity like this typical for the Hot Head coils? When I would swing over something that seemed to be actually there, I wasn't able to pinpoint it reliably. I only spent about ten minutes at it and didn't dig anything, but my feeling is that something is wrong. I suppose it is possible that the coil is damaged somehow, despite the seller's description saying the contrary. It's always a gamble with online purchases, eh? I'm also a little uncertain about my wiring of the adapter cable. I found some information about the Whites plug wiring online, and I referenced my copy of the Mark I wiring schematic for the Teknetics side. I ended up pairing the terminals in the following way: W(hites)1<->T(eknetics)1; W2<->T2; W3<->T5; W4<->T4; W5<->T3. Could having the transmit and/or receive pairs reversed cause the issues, being out of phase or something of the like? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

There could be 2 reasons why your Hot Head coil isn't functioning properly with your Mark 1.
You might have a later series Hot Head coil. You can tell by the design of the upper housing and color of the cable. The later style used a black shiny cable and were intended to work on the Whites that came standard with the Bluemax 950 coil. The Bluemax coil(1989-) equipped Whites had changes made that you couldn't use the earlier '6B' coils on them and vice versa. The Mark 1 can only use the earlier Whites '6B' coils.
I would like to see a photo of your Hot Head coil. Then I can tell you what Whites it's intended for.
Secondly,your adapter cord could be wired incorrectly. I have an original Tek to Whites coil cord adapter,but I don't know the wiring order. I suppose I could loosen the collars and expose the wiring,but I would prefer not to.