Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Teknetics coils, for Mark 1

Thank you, straker, for the quick reply. I believe it is for the later models as you suggest. It does have a shiny black cord, see the attached image. I'll probably end up selling this coil,as I do not have a compatible detector. Or wait, does this mean I get to add another detector to the collection? Hmm...

No worries about checking the wiring on your original adapter; no need to mess it up in the process. As a side note, in my initial wiring attempt on the adapter, I somehow managed to reverse one of the receive leads and the ground without knowing. I air tested it, and it seemed to identify targets just fine. It was only after reexamining the connections that I realized my mistake and rewired them as listed above. I'm baffled, but then again most things electrical are Greek to me.

Ben

The Hot Head coil you shown might be for a Whites that had a Bluemax coil. If this same coil had a gray cable,it might've been alright.
Shown is the big Hot Head for the earlier Whites 6.6 khz units.
I'm glad you found the problem in the wiring.

Hot head coils were a bit deceptively marketed. When they had a lot of advertising, back-in-the-day (treasure mag's), a lot of people fell for the promise of added depth. So for example, they'd show their coil's depth on a dime, versus the manufacturer's depth on a dime. Touting you'd get an extra inch or whatever. Woohoo.

But if you looked closely at the ads, you'd see that their hothead coils were larger than whatever stock coil they were comparing it to. For example, if they'd be comparing their own H.H. 10" coil to a Whites stock 8" coil, etc.... Well DUH ! OF COURSE you'll go deeper, with larger coils . Albeit with the all the drawbacks of going to a larger coil (fishier performance, more masking, poorer pinpointing, etc....). So too would a person "go deeper" with the manufacturer's OWN "larger coil".

I always felt that was manipulative deceptive marketing. And gullible newbies bought them, thinking they were getting a better mousetrap.

And to whatever extent this aftermarket coil innards might have been different than the manufacturers coils, it apparently was not too good. Because there were a lot of people who complained about the results and quality. Eg.: falsing, static, etc....

And think of it: If it was really that simple to make this "better mousetrap" , then you'd think that the manufacturers themselves would be ALL OVER THEMSELVES to buy up the tech, and simply have it on/in their stock machines.

I've wondered about this relationship between the stock coils and and the aftermarket offerings,especially in today's market. How much better could the aftermarket options be? I can understand if there is some patent-protected innovation offering improved performance, but there is seldom such transparency on these things. I agree that often marketing is the main player here, call it influencing or deception. It would be nice if there was a truly disinterested, third-party testing group to evaluate all these products. Is there such a thing? I would love to see a vast archive of detailed reports of machine performance, including all our favorite vintage machines, and leaving out all the opinion and anecdotal evidence. I know that there are many variables involved which will affect the actual in-the-field performance, but a true benchmarking process would be helpful in making decisions in the marketplace. I would think that this is done by the individual manufacturers as a part of their research and development efforts, but again, not made public in the name of protecting proprietary elements.

Tom_in_CA said:
Hot head coils were a bit deceptively marketed. When they had a lot of advertising, back-in-the-day (treasure mag's), a lot of people fell for the promise of added depth. So for example, they'd show their coil's depth on a dime, versus the manufacturer's depth on a dime. Touting you'd get an extra inch or whatever. Woohoo.

But if you looked closely at the ads, you'd see that their hothead coils were larger than whatever stock coil they were comparing it to. For example, if they'd be comparing their own H.H. 10" coil to a Whites stock 8" coil, etc.... Well DUH ! OF COURSE you'll go deeper, with larger coils . Albeit with the all the drawbacks of going to a larger coil (fishier performance, more masking, poorer pinpointing, etc....). So too would a person "go deeper" with the manufacturer's OWN "larger coil".

I always felt that was manipulative deceptive marketing. And gullible newbies bought them, thinking they were getting a better mousetrap.

And to whatever extent this aftermarket coil innards might have been different than the manufacturers coils, it apparently was not too good. Because there were a lot of people who complained about the results and quality. Eg.: falsing, static, etc....

And think of it: If it was really that simple to make this "better mousetrap" , then you'd think that the manufacturers themselves would be ALL OVER THEMSELVES to buy up the tech, and simply have it on/in their stock machines.

Weren't these Hot Head coils made by Wilson...the guy who made the Wilson detectors?

I wonder if one of the 'Discovery Electronics' founders made Hot Heads? I see similarities between the 'Ferrett' 5.5" and 10" open center coils made for various brands.
I just bought a 'Ferret' coil for a Whites and will try it on my Teknetics Mark 1 via 'Tek to Whites' coil cord adapter. Has anyone ever done this before?

straker said:
I wonder if one of the 'Discovery Electronics' founders made Hot Heads? I see similarities between the 'Ferrett' 5.5" and 10" open center coils made for various brands.
I just bought a 'Ferret' coil for a Whites and will try it on my Teknetics Mark 1 via 'Tek to Whites' coil cord adapter. Has anyone ever done this before?

Haha, well GEE , if it's got an art depiction of a lightening bolt coming out , and words like "...professional..." and "... energy..." and "... hot...", then GEE, it MUST be good, eh ? Who doesn't want to be a professional , be hot, and have energy after all, eh ? Madison Ave. marketing at its finest.

It should work. I use the first Whites snooper coil with the Turbo Tek. Nice Ferret, been looking for one for quite sometime.

Happy_Hour said:
It should work. I use the first Whites snooper coil with the Turbo Tek. Nice Ferret, been looking for one for quite sometime.

I also use the first Whites snooper coil on my Mark 1. Way deeper than the later bounty hunter black hockey puck! Someone on the big auction site a little while ago had a few 'ferrets' for sale and I was lucky to get one.

Anyone know the difference between the Teknetics grey 10 inch coil and the Teknetics white 10 inch coil ? I saw a post by George Payne that said the white coil was one of the best they made. I had seen a grey one a friend had but not a white one ?

Teknetics made a bigger 12" gray coil,based off the 8" gray coil that came standard on the 'Bud' series. It was very heavy. I've heard that the white 10" thin profile 'Magnum' coil as being superior. I believe 'Litz' wire was used in their construction. Bounty Hunter makes a black variant of the white 10" magnum coil,but not sure if performance is on par.

Thanks for that info. Makes sense now why he considered it one of the best Tek coils made as he mentioned using Litz wire was better than copper. Does anyone have a photo of that coil as I have never seen it ?

Go to Page 1 of this topic and look at the first post. There is a photo of coils. Look at the lower left hand corner and one is shown.

Thanks. Never seen one in person. Great collection of coils he has. I have the 7 and a 15 inch Whites but always wanted the 10 as a medium of the two.