Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Teknetics G2 plus

moosezilla

1. When the numbers are going crazy. a constant crazy. Is my detector broke? So crazy bouncing from low to high numbers, I wouldn't know if I was on something good or not. Basically ruins my trip. Any help or experience with this, I'd really be thanjful.
2. Thoughts on what exactly you look for and how faint are the signal sounds for the deep good stuff? Do you barely pick up a high signal? and then dig. Thoughts on how you detect the deep sounds and numbers and know or kind of get excited about digging it? if you swing to the right and it says 19 and swing back to the left and it says 78, do you dig that? or is it just a nail or cthankful.

My sophomore beginner year. Eager to learn any and all I can . How you all set yours up for coin hunting deep, and what your detector G2+ does when you're on deep silver, I'd love to hear about.

It would be far easier if you could provide us with some further details,what i mean by this is the settings that you are using,the type of location ie are you near say power lines,substations or any other form of EMI,you may have your setting too high etc.Some things that can cause problems like that can be carrying a mobile phone in your pocket,the ground conditions and other things as well.

It could be something simple that you have over looked like running your sensitivity up high,you will get better help/response if we have some further details,then you will start getting some possible answer on what could be wrong,is the detector brand new or prehaps 2nd hand and it may genuinely have a fault,but most things are attributed to something simple.

First, read the manual carefully. If you don't have it, download it.

I have a Fisher F19 which is basically the same machine as yours with a different grip. Do you get crazy numbers even when the detector coil is not on the ground ? Where are you hunting (what type of soil) ? Do you know how to ground balance the detector ?

Like Mega mentioned, electric interference could be an issue. The coil could be faulty as well. Did you try different locations with the same unsatisfactory results every time ? The first thing I would do is make sure the detector and coil work as they should. Reset the detector to default settings (see video). Take a couple of clad coins and a silver one (or silver jewelry) and bury them 3-5 inches in your backyard as far away from habitations as possible. Ground balance on clean ground (no metal present). Put the detector in discrimination mode and set the discrimination at zero. Set your gain/sensitivity to 50 and pass the coil over your targets. On USA clad of copper and nickel, the numbers should be quite stable. The numbers should remain very stable on the silver as well. You can mess with the settings further once you have determined if something is faulty or not. Don't get discouraged. It's a great detector.

resetting a G2:

https://youtu.be/-BhStvQNn3o

An intro video of the G2+ by Unearthed UK:

https://youtu.be/q7G1lovmTAo

You guys a very helpful, and I appreciate that. When I get more time this evening, I'll try to be a little more detailed in my going ons. All this you guys right, makes sense to me. Also I haven't tried burying anything to get an idea. Sometimes it does go haywire when just holding it in the air. I do that...hoping it will reset and go back to nothing, but it sometimes doesn't work. I've been careful to not bring my cell phone, and it does happen sometimes around powerlines and sometimes not. We are mostly on sand and dirt here. I am certain I ground balance it correctly. I usually have my gain on 100. And disc mode off. inset it up for 40 and less to grunt. And anything higher then that gives a high tone. (sorry for not using proper words) I know im explaining like a beginner. What is your guys experience with what happens when something is deep, and when you dig it it's a coin? I do dig a lot. but I lack any knowledge when it comes to knowing when I'm on something good that's deep. usually bad numbers accompany the good numbers, when showing things at a good depth.

moosezilla said:
You guys a very helpful, and I appreciate that. When I get more time this evening, I'll try to be a little more detailed in my going ons. All this you guys right, makes sense to me. Also I haven't tried burying anything to get an idea. Sometimes it does go haywire when just holding it in the air. I do that...hoping it will reset and go back to nothing, but it sometimes doesn't work. I've been careful to not bring my cell phone, and it does happen sometimes around powerlines and sometimes not. We are mostly on sand and dirt here. I am certain I ground balance it correctly. I usually have my gain on 100. And disc mode off. inset it up for 40 and less to grunt. And anything higher then that gives a high tone. (sorry for not using proper words) I know im explaining like a beginner. What is your guys experience with what happens when something is deep, and when you dig it it's a coin? I do dig a lot. but I lack any knowledge when it comes to knowing when I'm on something good that's deep. usually bad numbers accompany the good numbers, when showing things at a good depth.

In your post you mention 'We are mostly on sand' would that be wet beach sand ?? if that is the case and that one needs clarifying,but most single freq VLF machine are not all that happy on wet sand,all VLF machines will work on dry sand.Of course i could be wrong,but this is why i originally mentioned about providing further details.It could be that you have the sensitivity/gain far too high and may need dropping it down and that could be causing the erratic performance of the detector.

moosezilla said:
by turning down the gain, am I sacrificing finding deeper coins? or am I completely off here?

Forget about finding deeper coins at the moment,the main thing is getting the detector running stable enough,just try reducing the sensitivity/gain down,i never run any of my machines at full throttle i would rather them run 'stable' that is the all important thing for me.For the most part if you run a detector flat out which most new folks usually do it will make the detector run very erratic and that is not what you want.

Try throttling back on the gain and i personally think that could be alot of your problems,of course i could be wrong,but if nothing else its a process of elimination,but gut feeling tells me that could be causing you the problem,dont worry about depth,machine running smootly is your No1 priority.

I agree with Mega, Drop your Sensitivity to about 75. That is about as high I can run my G2+ in my areas. Sometimes I can get as high as 80.

You should only get a reading on the display when you sweep it over metal. If you are hearing audio reports and getting numbers on your screen while holding it still, the sensitivity is set too high.

You can't find anything if you set the sensitivity so high that you can't tell a metal object from a false response caused by electrical interference. So set it high until it chatters and the numbers bounce all over the screen, then slowly dial it back until they stop. That is your sensitivity setting you'll have to use for that site. Some sites will let you use higher settings, some sites will require a lower setting.

Good luck,
Mike

Like Mega said, don't worry about digging deep targets as of yet. Get a feel for the detector on the shallow targets. Learn the relationship between the visual ID and the sound it makes. Like Mike mentioned, start with your gain halfway for now. The detector won't go very deep but that's OK for the time being. You'd be surprised at all the good stuff lying close to the surface.

Personally I would not hunt in all metal mode for now. I mention that because you had set disc mode to off according to your post.

Just a friendly reminder though: Not only is reading the manual necessary but actually trying the examples that are in there will save you lots of grief as a beginner.