Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Teknetics G2 prospecting with Snake coil?

Rled2005

Has anyone used the Teknetics G2 with the Snake coil for prospecting ? In air tests the snake coil seems to lose depth.

Lose depth compared to the stock 11 inch? That is to be expected. Even the 5x10 DD will be deeper than a 3x6.

Smaller coils are not made for depth...they are made for separation in heavy trash...and greater sensitivity to smaller objects.

If prospecting uneven ground like nooks and crannies.....use the smaller coil....especially if you expect nothing but small pickers at a few inches to surface level.

If you are hitting up wider areas with the chance of larger nuggets...or deeper nuggets....keep the 11DD on it.

Even the 11DD on a detector like the G2 will find you super tiny targets. I was on the beach yesterday with my F19 and I kept pulling out targets that were almost too small to see with the naked eye (so small that my pin pointer has a real hard time sniffing them out). They are mainly bits and pieces of foil, rivets, mini washers, etc. I can only imagine how good this detector must be at prospecting for tiny nuggets.

I have a Snake coil on my F75 and it performs well. Not sure what you mean when you say it "seems to lose depth"? If you already have a Snake for your G2, I wouldn't be afraid to use it, that's for sure.

For serious nugget hunting I would recommend the Tek 10" eliptical, or 5" round. I would think the Snake coil would perform well, or the NEL Sharp 5" round coil also. I am currently thinking about getting a NEL Sharp 5" round coil for my G2+.

Usually the ground where nuggets are found is hotter (more mineralized) than the normal dirt we detect for coins and such. The larger 11" biaxial coil will certainly work, but, a larger coil can be more effected performance wise by that mineralization, possibly causing a bit less sensitivity to the tiny nuggets. Most experienced nugget prospectors use the 10" eliptical as a general purpose nugget coil. It gives decent depth, plus good performance with both larger and tiny nuggets. The 5" round gives the best maneuverability in tight spots and excellent response to the very tiny stuff.

Additionally, the Tek 10" and 5" are closed designs which most prospectors prefer so they don't snag on brush. HH