Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Teknetics Gamma 6000

Kellyco sent the Gamma 6000 to me a few days ago for a short field test to see how well it would perform in my area.
I live in northeast Alabama where the ground is saturated with rich iron ore and clay, a great proving ground for any detector.

After I received the Gamma and took it of of the box, the first thing one has to notice is how lightweight it really is, and it feels sturdy built when swinging it too.
I had read the online 24 page manual on Kellyco's site before the detector got here so I was anxious to try it out, cold weather or not.
You can imagine that after several years of detecting my 3 acre lot with just about every kind of detector made, there isn't much to find here .. but hey, you never get it all.
First early morning out with the Gamma was after a hard freeze and the ground had heavy frost everywhere. The Gamma refused to Fast Grab ground balance over the frost but it manual ground balanced easily within seconds and off I went.

I worked my way towards the backside of my property finding can slaw, small nails and a few pieces of clad along the way. When I got under the large oaks the Gamma sang out a medium high tone and registered 80 on the display, I dug down about 5 or 6" and found a fat Indian head penny hiding under a root and also spotted a copper wire in the hole. The Indian read 63 on the meter after I had it out of the hole. Only 2 feet away the meter popped up 55 on the display and the depth gauge was showing 3 bars, at 7" down I found the nickel.

Being already familiar with Teknetics latest digital detectors over the last 2 years it was easy to tell the difference between trash and good targets by both the display and the sounds, if it hit clean and sounded clean .. it was good, if it bounced a few numbers on the display and sounded kind of blatty it was almost always trash.

On the 2nd. day I decided to take the Gamma to a local park at Lake Guntersville, it has a few playgrounds and lots of big oaks surrounding picnic areas. The normal ground readings I get from detectors in this area is pretty constant but can vary between the mid 70's up into the 90's so this ground is extremely HOT for the most part.

The Gamma Fast Grab ground balance worked fine here at the lake and no frost was to be seen anywhere close to the water. I checked the Fast Grab against the manual ground balance several times and it was dead on.

Didn't count how much clad I got while I was there but I didn't bring a finds pouch with me so I had to go to the truck and empty my pockets twice :)

Also tried every notch combination available on the Gamma and was pleased with the results, I can count on one hand how times a trash target slipped in between the notching program .. so a job well done Teknetics !
In 2 days of testing I found quarters, dimes, or lest just say lots of clad and a few pieces of silver, the fat IH, some junk jewelry, fishing weights, key chain, cheap money clip, toy cars,a religiuos medal, and plenty of misc. targets.

Now for the cons ...
I didn't think the stock round 8" coil did as good of a job as it should with separation of close targets and for what it's worth, my hunting area just about demands a DD coil because the ground is so hot but I thought the low frequency of 7.8 kHz should have done a better job because in my experience ... the lower the frequency, the better on hot ground.

The headphone plug-in is designed to a small 1/8" socket ... this sucks !!!
WHY did they do that ?
I tried to use my regular detecting headphones with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter and the weight of cord kept causing problems with it pulling out of the socket so I was forced to use a cheap set of MP3 phones .... bad idea Teknetics ... you deserve a SMACK for this bonehead idea. :punch:

Now I'll address the big raised rubber push buttons on the control panel.
They are to close together for my liking and almost impossible to use with gloves on because EVERYTIME that I tried to hit the pinpoint button I also touched the ON/OFF button and lost all of my detector settings.
That's right, the Gamma does not retain it's settings once turned OFF ... but being fair about the situation, I have huge hands and once I got it in my hard head to remove my gloves before pushing any buttons .... it was NOT a problem anymore.

Anyway ... I know this was only a short field test and that many more hours in the field are needed to make a absolute decision on any detector if one considers it to be WORTH having in their arsenal.
So ... take this test with a grain of salt and make you own decision ... I always do :smoke:

As a matter of fact ... don't think that this post was made to influence anyone whatsoever because what works or doesn't work for me may be just the opposite for someone else.

Personally I believe the Gamma is a power house in a lightweight package and with more time it could become one of my favorite park killers so I don't want to read anywhere on this board where I was beating up on Teknetics ... overall it's a pretty decent detector IMO but every unit has it's flaws.

I've include a few pics involving the field test, take a good look at the one with the gold/red stones on the ground ... that's high grade iron ore and it's found on the surface and as far down as you care to dig. The Gamma handled this ground admirably, I'll give it that !

Good Hunting
Mike

Quote..........Anyway ... I know this was only a short field test and that many more hours in the field are needed to make a absolute decision on any detector if one considers it to be WORTH having in their arsenal.
So ... take this test with a grain of salt and make you own decision ... I always do

As a matter of fact ... don't think that this post was made to influence anyone whatsoever because what works or doesn't work for me may be just the opposite for someone else

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Just did not understand the results of your field test. I was under the impression a field test was for encouragement to sell detectors..I do admire your honesty.
Just surprised I guess. Your statement kinda took me by surprise.. Thanks for the very honest review. And your making it clear maybe not the detector for everyone. Let me assure you I meant no implications in the negative Sir.Wish all field tests were as straight forward as yours.

I've been guilty of helping push certain product lines over the years but rest assured that if I don't believe in the product and USE it... I won't push it.
Can also appreciate your statement about being surprised about the contents in my post, but again, .. it was how I perceived what would or would not work for me about this particular detector.

I received an email shortly after my post from a company rep that explained WHY they decided to use the 1/8" headphone socket. It seems that there are a LOT of clients that requested it and I can live with that.
The email was very cordial, polite and professional .... and it even contained a Thank You for my honesty concerning the post.

I'm absolutely sure the Gamma 6000 will fill the needs of many novice and experienced users in the hobby and put plenty of smiles on their faces. This new digital Teknetics lightweight series ( Delta, Gamma & Omega) has plenty to offer.
Not everybody lives in areas where the ground is like mine and they probably won't see the same results I did.
Hopefully I will get the chance to try out the Omega soon and see if it's the one for me :)

Teknetics and First Texas have made some fantastic products over the last 2 years and I truly believe they will be a hard act to follow for a long time to come.

Best Regards & Good Hunting
Mike

It's hard to believe that anyone requested it, seeing is how almost all other detectors, except cheap foreign rip offs, use the quarter inch jack. I believe old Explorers used the eighth, but they changed that long ago. Where do you get coil corded headphones with the eighth in jack? And the little converter ALWAYS comes apart. I'm a big Technetics fan, but when I read that, it was done for me.

My Baron has one, but it's mounted on the side, so I use a right angle converter and it stays put.
Get some sticky back velcro, and put it on the side, and the head phones cord into it, then the second
piece of velcro on top of the cord. It will stay put and if you ever sell the detector the velcro just peels
off not marring the surface.
Piece of cake.:thumbup:

I was thinking about buying one of those extended 1/8" - 1/4" adapters that plugs in and is about 4 or 5 inches long and velcro it down towards the hand grip of the detector and underneath, then plug my regular detecting phones into that and it should stay put and be good to go. :)
Radio Shack sells them for about $5.

One thing for sure, most regular MP3 phones and the like have only 30 ohm speakers in them and the don't sound good at all when plugged into the Gamma but my detecting phones with the 150 ohm speakers sound great and have 5 times more volume.
I've got some Bose headphones with the small plug that I tried on the Gamma today and they sound awesome on it ... but I ain't taking them bad boys metal detecting, no sir !

It's an EASY fix because the plug is already toward the left hand bottom side of the control housing.

Mike

in the box. I think that would have appeased all of the serious detectorists who don't even own a set of walkman headphones. Or really go the extra mile & put a set of headphones with that little plug in the box.
I wouldn't be caught dead in the field using a pair of tiny headphones as that really makes you look like a beginner. Plus, I love my Killer B headphones that totally cancel out background noises. Little headphones don't do that, so you might as well use no headphones at all......
HH,
Bill

I know this is an old thread and maybe someone has come up with something similar. If the detector had a raised ridge between the power and pinpoint buttons, just high enough that you would have to rock your thumb over to actually press the power button, that would eliminate accidentally turning the machine off while trying to use the pinpoint button. Just a thought about this problem.

Ray
=======================================================================================================

Mike Bearden said:
Now I'll address the big raised rubber push buttons on the control panel.
They are to close together for my liking and almost impossible to use with gloves on because EVERYTIME that I tried to hit the pinpoint button I also touched the ON/OFF button and lost all of my detector settings.
That's right, the Gamma does not retain it's settings once turned OFF ... but being fair about the situation, I have huge hands and once I got it in my hard head to remove my gloves before pushing any buttons .... it was NOT a problem anymore.

Mike