Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Teknetics T2 'Classic' is deep! local park hunt.

Fish N Chips

I took my daughter to the local park, I wanted to try a more open area to see what kind of depth I could achieve with the 11" DD coil. My hope was for older coins at depth, and I wanted to try my skill at pulling out these deep whisper targets. Our park goes back to the 1850's.

I set the T2 up with Discrimination at 24, Tones 3 and Sensitivity at 99. Ground balance varied between 78 and 84 as I moved around. Well this thing is deep. I was getting dimes at 8-9", and I got a few pennies and quarters at 10-11", with one at 12"! A few nickles at 7-8" as well. At these depths I was getting very jumpy or lower ID numbers, if any TID, but high enough jumps to let me know it was likely a good target, and just a high chirp on the tone showing it was likely a coin or high conductor. I knew this was going to occur based upon my test garden results and actually looked for it to judge deeper targets. I based my digging on the tone, pin point size (a huge factor), and depth; the deeper the better. Most of these signals did indeed turn out to be coins! Trouble is they were all 1980-1990's coins :angry: I was impressed how well it sounded off at those depths. One thing I notice is that once I disturbed the dirt on these deep targets, the signal would fade or disappear and it would take a while to relocate it. I must have been breaking up the halo, or the disturbed dirt was affecting the detection aura at these depths. I would just continue to dig down until my pin pointer could hit the target. once out of the hole, the detector had no trouble finding them again.

The sink rate or soil deposit at my park must be more than I thought. It is along the river and has flooded a few times, but the grass is always showing afterwards. It must drop more silt than I realize. The dirt base is loam and sand. Some of the older coins may be out of reach in this section, just up the hill we were popping 1990s coins at 2-3", but the trash level there prohibits the larger coil. I have been getting a few 7-8" targets with the 5" coil, but doubt it can achieve much more.

So this thing has great potential in older parks. My daughter was using my Tesoro Silver Umax, and while she pulled a few coins at the 5-6" range, it could not even whisper on the deep targets. I am sure all metal mode on the T2 will go even deeper in clean areas. I was impressed, but also deflated. That is a lot of digging for a copper penny! LOL I would feel odd about carrying a large shovel around the park, but kind of wish I had!.

I have a rare occasion to put a larger-than-small coil to work. I only use the 5" DD, small 'OOR' DD, 6" DD, 6" Concentric and 6½" Concentric coils on my detectors for about 95% of all my detecting because I mainly hunt in dense brush, trash, and building rubble. However, when I do work an open area and want to use a 'stock' coil on any of my detectors, the T2 & 11" BiAxial [size=small](DD)[/size] coil makes a very light weight and comfortably balanced team for those types of searches.

Matter-of-fact, it is a rare moment in time, but that's what I have mounted on my T2 now! I took an unpacking break for maybe 45 minutes yesterday to hit an open area in search of any prior activity and with my impaired mobility the T2 was a relief to use over my other current bigger-coil equipped detectors. I am in a different area than I was with the two green T2's I had a couple of years ago, but I was near some power sources, yet had very little EMI, even at a Sensitivity setting of '90' to '95.' I was surprised, and pleased.

This is the only model I travel with that I keep a standard/bigger coil along with the small 5" DD. The others all wear a smaller coil and some I don't even have a standard coil for. Unfortunately, my site wasn't very rewarding, but I did get clean hits on smaller-size higher-conductive targets that were coin-sized, so that was satisfying. I'm leaving the coil on because I got a lead when I was chatting with a gal at the market late last night who grew up here and gave me a few ideas to follow up on.

Isn't it good to have a detector that works well with both an 11" DD and 5" DD? Some on the market are quite uncomfortable with just the stock coil, and that's one reason I wanted to get the new-release 'Classic' T2. I am sure you'll continue to enjoy your detector, and I especially like to hear you're including your daughter in this great sport. Time afield with your kids can be an added treat, to be sure.

Monte