Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Teknetics T2 classic NEL Tornado vs. NEL Storm

Fish N Chips

I was considering getting a larger coil for hunting the beach and tall grass conditions. I have the 11" DD coil for my T2 which works ok (a bit EMI sensitive and noisy compared to my 5" coil and NEL Sharp Shooter), but goes pretty deep. I am using the T2 classic. I was looking at the NEL Tornado or possibly the Storm (or the CORS counterparts). I am tempted to get the Tornado as I want to use it in some areas of the park with moderate trash, looking for deep coins and relics. The fields I have been hunting have some tall grass right now, and I think the larger coil would help make up for the extra height I have to lift the coil to swing, although there is some iron trash and nails to deal with. I was curious if there is much of a depth advantage going from the stock coil to the Tornado, or perhaps the Storm coil, while maintaining enough targets separation and discrimination to be worth the extra cost? I know I may loose more targets due to masking, but I am finding in these conditions my smaller coils are not giving enough depth to reach the good targets, most being 8+ inches in dry dirt and tall grass. I have been using the 11" coil at these spots with fair results. Am I better off with the 11" or is it an advantage to go bigger? It is a tough call. I appreciate any advice or input on the coils. I see a lot of reviews on them for other detectors, but not much for the T2. I watch the Hoover Boys using these coils a lot with good success, and Kurt says they work in trash, but i remain a little skeptical as I have always believed smaller was better, until realizing I need the depth. Hard to find the balance between depth and targets separation. Thanks!

I use the NEL Storm on my original T2,it is of course bigger than the stock 11'' coil and also heavier,i was slightly worried about the weight when i bought the coil but i can use it all day long,so not over heavy if that makes sense,another plus side of it is the coil is mounted in the middle of the coil,only a small observation but it does balance well on the detector.

Is the coil deeper than the stock coil,by a fair bit if i am honest,its usually a trade of when using a larger coil that you will in theory only gain depth on bigger targets,which is true but at the expense of smaller targets,the Storm bucks this trend as not only is it deep on large targets but still keeps the sensitivity too small targets and also at reasonable depth on the small targets as well.

Does it work in trash being a larger coil ?? my reply as you have seen Kurts review i would agree that it does work very well,of course it wont totally do the same job as a small 5'' coil but i was most suprised how good it is,it is also pretty good at pinpointing and straight in the middle of the coil right under the rod.

This coil is one of my all time favourites,its deeper than the Sharpshooter by a fair margin and still also has alot of the sensitivity of the Sharpshooter,at the moment this last week the Storm is off the T2 but still mounted on a spare bottom rod and always carried with me in the truck,why did i take it off for the moment ?? the crops have just been cut over here in the UK and i am finding the little 5'' coil works well in between the stubble rows,but as soon as it starts rotting then the Storm will be used again.

Like in 'Kurts' review i bought mine and i have no connection with NEL or anything like that,with me i tell it as i see it,if it was rubbish then i would highlight that fact,the Storm is far from rubbish.

Thanks Mega, great advice as always. I appreciate it. From what I have seen the Storm is a great coil and I have seen some videos of very small finds with it, amazing for a coil that size.

I went on some of the older Hoover Boys videos and went through the comments. Brad has an F75 and was answering some questions on coils, and stated that he really likes the Storm, but felt the Tornado was a better all around coil and almost perfect match for the F75. Almost as deep as the Storm, with better separation and much lighter to swing. The benefits he described made it sound like a good choice (although he recommends getting both once you can afford it, lol), but I was still undecided. Until I went onto the big auction site.

I went to see if there were any used NEL Storm or Tornado coils to price check. I found an almost brand new CORS Strike (NEL Tornado) for a price too good to pass up. Less than half the price of the Storm, and about 2/3rds the price of a new Strike/Tornado. I know the CORS and NEL are the same coils re-branded, so the quality and reputation should be there. It looks to be in great shape from the pictures (fingers crossed).

I will post up some reviews when I get it. I think it will end up replacing my 11" coil as my big coverage coil. My NEL sharp shooter will remain my general use coil in trash, and the 5" for the carpets of iron debris. I have never been happy with the 11" coil, although it has worked better since I had my detector repaired. It has always been EMI prone, and noisy and jumpy on targets. The Strike/Tornado is reported to be 2-3" deeper, with a slight loss in separation but more coverage. If I start beach hunting more I will likely spring for the Storm, but hope this works out well for my park hunting and gives up some deeper coins. I just could not pass up the savings. I have some pasture land I want to hit bordering some of my older homesteads once it cools down. I think the large coil will be the tool for the job.

Still look forward to others experiences with both coils. I get such buyers remorse I research these decisions to death, lol. That and too much time sitting on the couch in this 115F degree heat!

I have checked out some dealers who sell the NEL Tornado for the T2. What I have noticed is the Tornado made for the T2 cost more than the Tornado designed for other TEK detectors. This price difference is on all the NEL coils for the T2. Does anyone know why there is a price difference ? Thanks, Mark

NEL is coming out with another coil that may be interesting it's called the NEL Thunder coil do a Google search on it.