Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Telephoto Lens

After-1-

We have a eagle nest down by the river,the nest has been there for 1 1/2yrs and last Sunday was the first I went and saw it. I take my camera EOS T2i with the first time using the 500mm lens,and I want a bigger lens. I have been looking at 500mm mirror telephotos with a 2x , what like about the mirror lens is that it is a lot smaller, The 1000mm telephoto's I have look at are 18'' long, Even the 500mm that I have is long,and I don't like all the attention I get,I have been going down to get some pics twice a day. What I'M asking is --What is your opinion of a mirror telephoto and a 2x ??????Thanks for reading --------------------------------------------------------a1--------------------------

Hello After-1-.

Never used a mirror-lens or a 2x, not to mention both together.
From what I have read it's no good idea to use a 2x (ore more) and lenses from 300mm above.
May be you can take some shots in a shop to see how the images will be on a monitor.

If I was going to do that extreme tele I'd use my super-zoom HS 25 EXR from Fujifilm.
It's focusing range spreads from 24mm to 720mm, converted to small picture size.
HS25EXR Specifications by Fujifilm

May be a super-zoom (there are more than one manufacturer) is the better solution?

Not going to get a mirror lens, leaning more towards a 2X, I want to keep the cost down.That's the way it look's right now!!!!!!!!!!!--------------------------Pub--

Could you post a picture of the area,, so we can get an idea of the area...

I had a 500mm Mirror back in my film days, seems like it was a F 8 only....
You could see little half circles in the pictures...
So, if you use a 2X then you add 2 stops to the F stop.... Then you have a F 16 lens....
You need to keep the Iso down,, the F stop & shutter speed high..
With a 500mm lens,, you need 1/500 of a sec. or higher shutter speed....
So with a 1000mm lens, you need a shutter speed of 1/1000 of a sec or higher,,, like 1/2000 of a sec if the bird id moving..

What 500mm lens do you have ???

You need to get closer... some how...
Something Like Duck Blind,, to hide from the Eagles....

If you are worried about some people, then may be its not worth the risk...

Another way, I don't know much about Canon's,, but I think your Canon is a Crop Sensor,
so if you had a 500mm Full Frame lens on you crop sensor Canon,, then the 500mm FF lens
times 1.6 = a 800mm lens... The bigger the lens,, the harder it will be to see the bird in the view finder.
Just a thought.
If I am wrong,, please correct me..
Bj

Wear Camo, so the Birds don't see you so easy and
wearing Camo,,, people will stay away from you,
some people worry about people in Camo..
Bj

Thanks for the replies---This nest is across the river, half way up on the hill side. I would think that is a good 225 yrs.I did pick up a 2x converter and the 500mm lens I have is a Bower(came with the camera Canon EOS T2i) With the 2x I can fill up the frame by 50% ? ---I still can not get my pics to load. Thanks and still trying ----------------Ejp----------------after1-----------------------

If the 2X converter is not the same quality as your lens, you'll be reducing the image quality by inserting it between the lens and sensor.