Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tempted to say it’s a trigger guard but doesn’t seem like it is

billinvt

Along an old 1700’s cellar hole of which I found an 1808 Springfield musket trigger guard, I found this smaller shaped item that just doesn’t seem to be curved enough in the trigger region to be another guard off a musket/rifle. Any thoughts as to what it might be and, yes, I’ve considered it being a drawer handle, etc.., but the screw hole is very similar to the much larger musket trigger guard I found so I’m not certain what it is.
tempImageA7FRaB.jpg
tempImageT9DOUu.jpg

I would concur with the trigger guard theory. A drawer pull would have 2 holes as a trigger guard typically has one with a tang {yours missing} on the opposite side. The profile is the typical of a trigger guard as well. Hawkin and others used iron trigger guards.

For comparison sake, below is the larger, more complete trigger guard to the right of the smaller one in question.

Attachments

• IMG_0959-1.JPG
    IMG_0959-1.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0960-1.JPG
    IMG_0960-1.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 32
it's a trigger guard! and a nice find.

That's a cool 😎 find for sure, I'm not an expert with guns but it definitely fits the description of a trigger guard, a very old one indeed.
Someone who deals with old guns could probably even tell you what kind of gun it came off of, maybe even a pawn shop.

It could have been bent by different circumstances, ran over, stepped on, involved in an explosion, etc.