Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tendonitis Problems?

rwsnc

Has anyone else been experiencing any form of tendonitis or other pain in the elbow and/or wrist?

I'm right handed and I've had a sharp pain in my right elbow and right thumb, lately. I thought it might have something to
do with swinging my x70, but now I'm beginning to think it's related to the digging. I use the Lesche digger and
I'm thinking it has something to do with the pushing, sawing and twisting action involved with digging a hole.

Any comments?

Well.....I've over done it to my elbow weight lifting before, to the point I couldn't turn a door knob without extreme pain. The only cure was rest for a long period, though my understanding is that some will go for cortisone injections.

Now during that time frame I cut back on detecting, but didn't stop completely. I suppose I might have tried one of those swingy thingy bungy supports, but I didn't. What I did do was change the way I held and swung the detector. My normal beach swing is 180+ degrees to get as much coverage per step as possible, so my elbow is not only extended out in front of my body, but being slightly pronated as my arm crosses in front of my body. With a heavier coil over many hours this really puts some stress on the elbow. Also being in the water with resistance can also hammer the elbow, if you tend to beat the water to a froth like I do.:lol:

So here's what I did, reluctantly:

A. I stayed out of the water.:cry:

B. I anchored my elbow to my side with no extension out in front of my body. This leaves a very short swings, maybe 70 degrees. To compensate I swung my body about 35 degrees as I stepped and used my arm/elbow for the other 35 degrees, but always keeping my elbow stationary with no pronation.

So I looked a little silly, kind of like a weeble wobbling down the beach. But I was detecting!

On the Lesche........if you're in an area where you can do some damage(not a manicured lawn) I would look into using a relic shovel which will take the stress off of your arms/wrist. I use one of the small16 or 17 inch D-handle planting shovels when I can if land digging. I also dig a triangular plug, since roots tend to run in straight lines and a square plug tends to hit the same root twice. You also only make three cuts, as opposed to 4, saving 25% of your time.

HH
BarnacleBill

Thanks, Bill.
As I read your post I pretty much decided that, in my case, that I don't think my problem was caused from actually swinging a detector.

I usually swing it with my left arm (but occasionally switch to my right, when the left gets tired). I swing with my left and dig with my right. So.. I'm thinking that pain in my right thumb is caused from the process of digging.

There's another potential cause and that is... I golf on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. The right elbow problem could be caused by golfing so much and aggravated by the digging motions.

I have had those same kind of pains. I used to use a Lesche standard digger all the time. My right wrist and thumb would hurt like yours. I changed over to a small shovel style digger. Mine is the Preadaor Hurcules 88 style. I have found out that by being able to use my foot to push into the ground and both hands my right thumb/wrist no longer hurt.

It might hel you to try this method also, Beale.

Thanks, Beale.... I'm probably going to end up going the same route. Must be something in the NC soil.:biggrin:

I've suffered those injuries through work, but not detecting.
Something I do frequently when swinging my detector, is change hands. I'm right handed as well, and swinging with the left hand felt weird for a bit. Now it feels natural. it saves a lot of fatigue as well.
Mick Evans.

ALEVE....:detecting:

Maybe.... Advil doesn't seem to work.

I take two(aleve) before i go and then 1 every 4 or so hours after...also I've been using blu goo emu oil it helps, and a copper magnet bracelet.

Yeah... the Alleve might work better. As I recall it's an anti-inflammatory. As far as the "blu goo emu oil" goes...:sad: we only have brown emu goo, around here. :biggrin:

:lmfao:
you can get it at wally world... some of that stuff is $20.00 a jar.. but it helps...