Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro 4" vs 5.75" Concentric Coils?

Fish N Chips

My daughter has pretty much taken over my Silver Umax. To help her swing it better (she is 10), I put my 5.75" concentric coil on it. She is really getting good at the tones and makes some great finds (sometimes better than me!). So now deprived of my small coil, I am considering another small coil purchase for my Tesoro Eldorado. I have been using my Teknetics T2 and the 5" DD coil a lot lately as the machine is new to me and I am enjoying learning it. I do however want the ability to switch back to my Tesoro, as its performance in iron is pretty amazing.

I was considering getting another 5.75" concentric but wonder if the 4" coil would be a worthy purchase? I know this really is a specialty coil, but I just wonder how much better it might perform in the iron? I admit I really like the 5.75" coil, it is a great performer for a variety of situations. Would the size and lack of depth of the 4" coil be too limiting?

Thanks!

5.75 concentric coil is the way to go. Have one for my eldorado also.

smallest i would go is the 5,75 Cuz the smaller the coil the more Iron will efect it

The 5.75" concentric coil is really hard to beat for working trashy sites as is the 4" concentric coil. As you stated the 4" coil is sort of a "specialty" type coil for sniping out possible good targets from the heaviest trash infested areas while working at a snails pace. I have used both coils a lot in the past but since the 5.75" coil was released I find that I now use that size more often than the 4" coil. When working real trashy areas I'm not much concerned about depth because target separation is what really counts. Both sizes are good coils for trash areas but you would probably get more overall use out of the 5.75" coil...just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you and daughter and HH!

I use the smaller 4'' coil for mud larking in a few local river that had roman connections and also 2 very ancient river crossing ie fords,roman use to throw coins and other artifacts into river or infact any water source as votive offering to the water gods,and early Tesoro machine like the Silver Sabre with a 4'' coil on it is about the best combination going,i also do magnet fishing during the summer with powerful magnets on ropes when the crops are in full growth.

Also the 4'' coils are mainly used by the Thames Mudlarks as the preferred tool of the trade.

4" is sure small but it has its place for me a super pounded spot with shallow targets and heaps of junk, use the 6" more though.

cant have just one coil right :blowup:

AJ

Thanks everyone, I think I will just get another 5.75" concentric. That coil has always worked good for me. The 4" definiately has its place, and I may get one eventually to try, but will stick with the slightly larger coil for now. I appreciate the input!

I have both, but for most hunting I feel the 5.75 is the more useful coil. For EXTREME trash and/or tight places like in river rock or detecing walls in old buildings the 4" can be very useful, but in most parks, sports fields etc. it just doesn't cover enough area IMHO.
BB