Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro 8.5" Widescan coil? Anybody tried one?

I've been looking around for an elliptical widescan coil for my Tejon, when I came across the 8.5" Widescan round coil. I can't find any info online about it, so was hoping maybe one of you have used one.

I did however find a review on the 11" Round Widescan for the Silver uMax and it seemed to work great judging by the review. Hence my recent interest haha. And the fact that I love the round concentric stock coil on my Silver uMax.

Would there be any real advantage or disadvantage concerning depth, discrimination, or stability with the round coil vs the elliptical?

I have never tried one on the Tejaon but i did try one on the outlaw , and did not like it cuz it was heavy , and gave about .5" better depth

thumperjones said:
I've been looking around for an elliptical widescan coil for my Tejon, when I came across the 8.5" Widescan round coil. I can't find any info online about it, so was hoping maybe one of you have used one.

I did however find a review on the 11" Round Widescan for the Silver uMax and it seemed to work great judging by the review. Hence my recent interest haha. And the fact that I love the round concentric stock coil on my Silver uMax.

Would there be any real advantage or disadvantage concerning depth, discrimination, or stability with the round coil vs the elliptical?
I use the 5"X 10" Wide Scan on my Tejon and I like it pretty well. Its a closed body design and that helps in sticks and brush from getting caught in the coil.

Tesoro's are different then other detectors I've had as far as size of coil vs depth, if you go from the Largest and just jump to the smallest you will see some depth difference, but from the stock 8"X 9" to the 5.75" there just isn't enough to even tell, and the same for going from the 8"X 9" to the 10"X 12".

Mark

Here is something my brother did while he still owned a Tejon (I now own it). Look at the chart, look across the top of the list of coils, then look at the 5"X 10". Ron took all the numbers in the row and then totaled them for a best score, that includes Depth and sensitivity to tiny targets.
The picture also includes the items he used for testing.

Mark

That's amazing that both concentric coils couldn't pick up on the small chain...... that 5x10 WS tested really good

Never used the Tesoro 8.5" widescan coil on a detector yet but I use the Tesoro 7" widescan coil on my Tesoro Outlaw with great results. The 7" widescan coil is one of my favorite if not my favorite coil on the Tesoro Outlaw and it's very light and well balanced coil and does a great job in trash. I also have heard the 8.5" widscan is a little heavy as well but again have never had the opportunity to use one.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Thanks everybody! Especially for the chart from the test with the different coils, awesome info.

Joe Z said:
That's amazing that both concentric coils couldn't pick up on the small chain...... that 5x10 WS tested really good

Yea, and those numbers are inches! the 5"X 10" hit the chain three inches farther out than the 5.75" WS coil did. The very long cable on my 5"X 10" suggest it was designed for the LOBO ST (Tesoro's prospecting detector) The 5"X 10" either matched or beat all the other coils in total depth, its narrow foot print helps it to work good in even heavy trash too.

Mark

I have the 8.5" DD round coil, which I have used on my Eldorado (Umax version). The coil is quite heavy, and I have only used it at the beach. My deepest target was a round pendant (sterling silver), about 1" in diameter. The beach was a saltwater beach, no black sand, but the sand was wet. The pendant was down at least 14" - 15". When I finally reached it with my scoop, it was dead centre in the hole (so the coil pin points well).

It's a good coil, and weighs 1 lb 8 oz (it has a long lead attached), while the stock 9" x 8" concentric coil weighs 1 lb.

Hope this helps.

I use the 8.5 DD on my Deleon. Its smokin hot. BUT...... It seems to like bottle caps a bit more than the stock coil.
By that I mean that the stock coil will tell me on the display if there are any junk metals in the bottle cap signal. Whereas the DD shows bottle caps a bit higher into the coin range. Its frustrating in super trashy areas. So,I use the stock coil 90% of the time with great results.

Love that chart and it confirms my great results with the 5x10 on my Vaquero. Lighter than stock coil able to get into tight spots and great ground coverage. Discrimination on bottle caps is not as good as stock concentric coil but you can hear the rough edges in most cases. This coil also handles bad ground better.
I too have the long cable on my coil and it has a hard plastic coiled strain relief so think it is an older coil.

Minas man

Thanks for the input everybody!

I was just curious as to any benefit the round coil may have over the elliptical. Now that you guys have chimed in and mentioned that it's heavier, and doesn't seem to offer anything that the elliptical doesn't, I think I may just get the elliptical.

Does anybody stock the 5x10 DD with the short cable? I know Tesoro lists it with long and short cables on their site, but I can't find anywhere with the short cable version?

I have never used the 8.5'' Widescan but i do own a use the 7'' version,the smaller coil is OKish but i find its rather heavy for the size but the larger version is a no go just for that one simple reason the weight,i of course do own and use much larger coils which are of course heavyweight but i must admit i was not expecting the 8.5'' coil to way that heavy.

I do own and use a 8'' Tesoro Concentric coil and that is a nice coil to use swing,i feel the 8.5'' Widescan would have been better if it was a centr mounted coil rather than rear mounted.

thumperjones said:

Contact Rustys Detectors in Arizona he has the 5x10 elliptical DD coils available both short and long cable at great prices. He also has every other Tesoro coil and the knolege to explain the differences and benefits of each coil for your detector. Give him a call he will help you out big time ( He has forgotten more than most know about detecting)

Rustys Detectors
928-899-0362
krhjah@msn.com

Happy Hunting, :detecting:
Bill G

and they never worked out well for me.

I tried one when I had the Inca, which came with an 8½" Concentric, and both the Concentric and Double-D coils were too big for the trashier places, and heavier than I wanted to use for any longer period of time. I switched over to the 7" Co-Planer from my Mayan, anyway, and just used that coil most of the time on all my Tesoro's.

The 8½" DD (Wide-Scan) was standard on the Eldorado when it was released in 11/'86 and I tried to get comfortable with in at some urban parks and such, but mainly in ghost towns and homesteads, but again, too big, too heavy, and didn't work as well as the 8½" Concentric or 7" Concentric coils.

When I got my first three Tejóns I tried a few optional search coils I had around, including the 8½" round DD, but preferred the stock 8X9 Concentric, a brown donut type 8" Concentric, and the 5X10 elliptical DD coils out of all I had available, depending upon what the site hunted presented me in the way of brush, trash, etc.

Monte