Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

tesoro bandido 2 beeps when adjusting disc level knob

Just got an older bandido 2, (same shape box as the lobo), so the model before the umax boxes. Seems that it hasn't been used in ages. Put new batteries in and it almost seemed like the thing had to come out of a coma; initially the disc was erratic, but after a few minutes of fiddling with all the knobs it came alive and it now seems to work. Airtest is about what i expect from this oldtimer.

Now the funny thing that remains; Have a Tejon, Lobo and an older, same era Silver Sabre 2, and none of them chatter when working the disc level knob up or down. Is this more or less normal, or is something wrong? disc level otherwise works fine throughout the range, it just chatters when actually working the knob, coil off the ground.

Also, i know how to power balance / power tune the tejon, and i know the ground balance carries over from all metal to disc on the bandido 2. But should the bandidio react the same way as the Tejon? I noticed that it's almost impossible to power balance the bandido while in disc since the detector does not communicate the way a Tejon does when you too positive or negative while in disc mode.

Any input = greatly appreciated :)

Alrighty, the chatter issue pretty much resolved itself after moving the disc knob around slowly for a couple of minutes.

this question remains;

Also, i know how to power balance / power tune the tejon, and i know the ground balance carries over from all metal to disc on the bandido 2.

But should the bandidio react the same way as the Tejon?

I noticed that it's almost impossible to power balance the bandido while in disc since the detector does not communicate the way a Tejon does when you too positive or negative while in disc mode.

vincentvangerven@gmail.com said:
Alrighty, the chatter issue pretty much resolved itself after moving the disc knob around slowly for a couple of minutes.
Good to hear, and that can happen when some rotary switches get a little 'dirty'.

this question remains;

Also, i know how to power balance / power tune the tejon, and i know the ground balance carries over from all metal to disc on the bandido 2.

But should the bandidio react the same way as the Tejon?
'Power Balance' is just a description of adjusting the Ground Balancer setting when in the silent-search Disc. mode.

To 'power tune' a detector could mean 'Super-Tune' or what I used to refer to as 'Hyper-Tune' a Tesoro before the term 'Super-Tune' was used. That refers to adjusting the Tuner control [size=small](often referred to as a Threshold control since it is an adjustment control to 'Tune' a proper 'Threshold' audio hum)[/size] to a setting that is above a proper, functional audio hum or Threshold-of-sound. When a Tesoro is 'Super-Tuned' it might enhance the audio response from mid-depth or a little deeper targets when in the silent-search Discriminate mode, but it also then is too loud for the Threshold-based All Metal / Pinpoint mode to work well.

'Power Balancing' [size=small](a GB method I coined that term for roughly thirty years ago)[/size] is completely different from 'power tuning' or 'Super-Tuning' a detector as the terms describe two separate functions.

Therefore, I am not sure what you mean by: "... should the bandidio react the same way as the Tejon?" No, all Tesoro models behave the same as there have been both circuitry differences by design, as well as some models with circuitry glitches that make me not want to own them. Are you referring to how they 'react' when 'Power Balancing' or something else?

I noticed that it's almost impossible to power balance the bandido while in disc since the detector does not communicate the way a Tejon does when you too positive or negative while in disc mode.
If a Tesoro model is designed so they can be 'Power Balanced' to adjust the GB setting while in the silent-search Discriminate mode, then the differences in the way they 'react' are usually associated with the type of GB control used, such as a 10-turn pot to a 3¾-turn pot which usually makes the tighter control might be more 'touchy' to get a proper setting.

But the older Bandido and Bandido II models, using an under-slug control box that is similar to but shorter than the one used for the Lobo SuperTRAQ, utilize a 10-turn GB control making it rather easy to 'Power Balance' in most ground environments. You can also note some differences based on the size and type search coil used.

Clarify, if you would, what you mean?

Hi Monte, thanks for your input. What i meant was the power balancing process ( i should get my terminology right, sorry)

The super tune / hyper tune / threshold tune works as expected, it's the power balancing feedback that i'm getting with the Tejon in disc mode that isn't that expressive on the Bandido 2 big box model. The 3 vs 10 pot will likely have something to do with that, and i have more testing to do, but a couple of full turns either way on the GB knob (Bandido) didn't seem to have much of an effect in disc mode, whereas it did 'communicate' when balancing in all metal mode.

Makes sense, and normal for a Bandido 2?

The 3 vs 10 pot will likely have something to do with that, and i have more testing to do, but a couple of full turns either way on the GB knob (Bandido) didn't seem to have much of an effect in disc mode, whereas it did 'communicate' when balancing in all metal mode.

Makes sense, and normal for a Bandido 2?
:)
No, that doesn't really make sense to me, unless you are located, or were trying to GB the Bandido II, in neutral to very, very low mineralized ground. Adjusting the 10-Turn GB control two full-turns either way would suggest it was adjusted for 4-out-of-10 turns, and changes would have easily been noted ... if there was moderate to higher mineralization present.

If I may ask, what area are you located in, generally if not specific?

I have owned and used probably a dozen original Bandido's, and another dozen Bandido II models, and have never had any troubles 'Power Balancing' them in the silent-search Discriminate mode. Once you have set a proper Threshold hum in the All Metal mode, then Ground Balanced to be close to spot-on in All Metal, toggle to the Disc. mode and 'Power Balance.' That should have you adjusted to be very close to hearing the false 'beep' once you turn the GB control counter-clockwise when in the Discriminate mode.

Remember, to 'Power Balance' in the Disc. mode with your Bandido II you have to be bobbing the search coil normally and not too briskly, then turn the GB negatively just until you hear a 'Beep' on the uplift of the coil AWAY from the ground. The steps are as follows:

[size=x-small]►[/size] Find a clean, metal-free spot of ground.

[size=x-small]►[/size] Use the highest Sensitivity level w/o chatter.

[size=x-small]►[/size] Toggle to the All Metal mode.

[size=x-small]►[/size] Make sure you hear a proper slight-audio Threshold hum, start with the coil about 6" off-the-ground and adjust for almost a spot-on Ground Balance setting.

[size=x-small]►[/size] Toggle to the silent-search Discriminate mode.

[size=x-small]►[/size] Again, hold the search coil about 6" off the ground, then start to bob the search coil towards-and-away from the ground going from about 6" down to ½"-1" off the ground. There should not be any audio response when lowering or raising the coil towards or away from the ground. Don't bob too quickly or too slowly. Just count to yourself "a thousand one, a thousand two, a thousand three, etc, on each down-stroke.

[size=x-small]►[/size] While bobbing the search coil, very slowly turn the Ground Adjust control counter-clockwise [size=small](negatively)[/size], and continue doing this just until you hear an audible 'Beep' on the UPLIFT of the coil, away from the ground. STOP! This indicates the GB has been adjusted just slightly too negative.

[size=x-small]►[/size] Finally, continue to bob the search coil and very, very slowly increase the Ground Adjust control clockwise just until there is no 'Beep' when the coil is lifted AWAY from the ground. STOP! This indicates the GB has been adjusted just barely out-of-the-negative range for the Disc. mode and you're ready to search at peak performance in that mode.

[size=x-small]►[/size] You are now finished adjusting the GB for peak performance in the Discriminate mode. This will also now have the Threshold-based All Metal mode with a somewhat negative GB, but it will still work OK for Pinpointing as long as you start with the coil at the search height. Don't toggle to All Metal with the coil a few inches high and then lower it toward the ground as that will drive it further negative and it will take longer for the Auto-tune to restore the Threshold level.

Enjoy hunting with the early Bandido series model. :thumbup:

Monte

You are quite welcome. By the way, the older style Bandido II like you have is one of my all-time favorite Tesoro models. Not the deepest or lightest, but I found a BUNCH of good stuff with the ones I had and it is a model I don't have in my current arsenal. They don't command the outlandish prices we sometimes see for the Bandido II µMAX, but it was/is still one of my favorite Tesoro models.

All my detectors are either brand new, 'as-new', or pampered so well you would think they were almost new to showroom/demo condition. I don't know the condition of the Bandido II you have, but if it is a creampuff looking unit and performs well and you ever think about sell it or looking for a trade, please let me know first.

Until that time, if it ever arrives, best of success with a proven performer from Tesoro.

Monte