Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Cibola Ground Balance Mod

fltacoma

Is there anyone on here that can do the Cibola GB and trigger mod to mine? I am sure some people are trying to find someone on here such as myself..

I will let you know after I have a crack at it but if the right parts are used and instructions followed I see no reason why anyone cant do it but use the right gear I think that's important and do a lot of reading and have everything you need to do it all in one go.

that's my plan if/an when...

AJ

Pretty sure Keith Southern used to do 'em and I think Sven Stau did as well. I don't know what they charged.
I can do 'em pretty easily. Send me a PM if you like, and we can discuss it.

You are aware that any existing warranty will be voided and that Tesoro will charge to make 'em stock again, if a modified unit is ever sent to them for repair; right?

BTW - here's a link to Sven's pdf about modding 'em, to give you an idea of what's involved: Cibola GB Mod

It's not a difficult mod to perform, but you do need to be careful, and have some good soldering experience.

Below is one I just did; works very nicely:

If your in the US, Keith Southern will do it.
If your in Canada then I can do it.

well there ya go...ask and you shall receive :biggrin:

I just been wrestling a Russian straight shaft and battery mod and I am all modded out :punch:

AJ

I did mine to spec on the PDF and mine ground balances really positive. (From all the way to the left it takes 8 to 8.5 turns to balance) which isn't really normal as far as my outlaw and bandido II micromax.
So I don't know if I did something wrong or not, but I used the exact pots and switch as the PDF tutorial said and followed it to the letter.
So personally I'm just happy mine balances but I wouldn't want to do yours because I would hate to screw it up.
Best to have one of the gents above have a crack at it.

I never did get an answer to why mine turned out that way. Just the fact that it functions means I couldnt have screwed it up. More of a it worked or I broke it kind of mod. But as I said it still does balance so I'm cool with it
But not going to try it again. At least not until I find out why it happened that way.

It doesn't matter where they balance as long as they do, and you still have enough adjustment either direction. I was thinking that an audio taper pot could cause that, or even help to center the number of turns from each end. Pretty sure though, that the pot you used (the one in Sven's instructions) is a linear taper, but I'd have to look up the specs on that one again. The Bourns pots I've used are also 50K Ohm 10 turn and have end stops, but not the same part # as the one in Sven's instructions. These pots have been balancing between 6-7 turns from full negative, on both my Cibola and Bandido II μMAX (I put one in my Bandido too). Really though, any good quality, 10 turn 50K pot should work, as long as it also fits size-wise. There are a couple other usable brands out there, besides the Bourns.

Yeah true pinenut.
It does balance and I have maybe 1.5-2 positive I can go.
Just meant with how that turned out I wouldn't want to assume responsibility by doing someone else's and have that happen.
I can't tell you if the part number was the same but the electronic company I went through here in the US had that pot or the new part number version. It was a while ago and also can't remember if it was the switch that was a new part number. Something was discontinued and had to take the newer version lol.

reading minds :lmfao: that's what I was going to say could just be the pot really what else could it be?

but the electronics in most detectors are made with cheap parts and there are hot and not so hot detectors.... from what I have seen anyway.

it works what else is there ?? :buds:

AJ

Very true AJ.
That's why I'm happy with it :)

I know its nice to have it 5 turns in but lifes not always 5 turns in :throw: unfortunately but we do our best what we have to work with and smile and get on with the next project or what ever comes next :biggrin: or something like that....

AJ

For me it's the next chance to hunt. Snowing here lol.
Gotta love Michigan. Frozen ground for months