Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Cortes vs. Troy Shadow X-5

pjroo3

Does anyone here have any experience with the X-5? I currently have a Cortes and it is a great machine. I just enjoy trying other machines and was wondering if the X-5 is as good as the Cortes? Thanks

A while back I was interested in the X-5, but found out they are out of business. I heard they did a good job.

The Shadow X-5 is similar in depth to the Tejon . The X-5 was and still is a depth demon . It has the ability to be used as a manual ground balanced machine , a fixed ground balance , and a manual ground balanced beach mode . It also has the ability to be used in the rain without ruining the electronics . It only weighs approximately 2.5 lbs. The Cortez lacks the depth of both the Tejon and the X-5.

I have had all three, they are very good detectors and have similar depth. Troy Shadow X-5 is not any deeper than others, only slightly better built and waterproof.

Troy isn't out of business, at least not yet. He shut his forum down awhile back but he's supposed to be working on a new detector that will be released within the next few months. Lots of rumors about it awhile back, including that it will be a dual frequency, but nothing lately and nothing confirmed. The X5 I had went deep in my mild ground, except around some electrical power lines that caused interference. Depth was similar to the Tejon, and at least two or more inches deeper on inground coins than a Cortes a friend had at the same time I had the X5.

I would not place the Cortes in the same class as the X5. The X5 has features the Cortez should have - but doesn't. User adjustable ground balance for example. Several excellent discrimination features... waterproof... and so on.

They are both decent detectors, but I would give the nod to the X5. However, with Troy Galloway no longer in the active end of the business, his detectors are becoming anachronisms. The X5 was built by Fisher and service for it is still handled by them, while Troy and his company simply exist. I would like to see him bring the X5 back, although I wouldn't pay the same price for that one when I can have a new F75 for the same money or less.

I talked with Troy several months ago and he was having difficulty obtaining parts and such. Glad to hear he's on the way back again. :clapping:

Same old song and dance from the Troy Camp.................that's been going on for years. New detector always in the works......and the new
price of the next mystical Troy Shadow X6.....$1500.00??

A great detector, had one, liked it better than the Tejon. But around electrical lines, microwave towers, the X5 was useless.

You can buy a used Tejon and a whole bunch of treasure hunting equipment for the price of one used X5.
Bitter arguments and discussions used to fill up the forums about which of these two units are better.........

Intruder said:
The Shadow X-5 is similar in depth to the Tejon . The X-5 was and still is a depth demon . It has the ability to be used as a manual ground balanced machine , a fixed ground balance , and a manual ground balanced beach mode . It also has the ability to be used in the rain without ruining the electronics . It only weighs approximately 2.5 lbs. The Cortez lacks the depth of both the Tejon and the X-5.

When the website/forum was up Troy recommended a plastic bag over the X5/X3 when hunting in the rain. Something to bear in mind if you were to buy one.
I had a few of both of them, the one thing I didnt like was the disc range, how it changed so quickly. There seems to be more control on the Tesoros disc, a finer adjustment.
Ive never had a Cortez so I cant comment on it.

To anyone who listen;
Troy is sleeping, but they still make the Troy headphones. Dick at Bowens Hideout has them. The dist. for Troy let me use the X5. Very nice and salt switch too. But then I saw the Tejon and used it too, an about the same with no salt switch. So I saw the price, $400. less. I own the Tejon now, no regrets. And Tesoro is still hear. Cortes not in same park. Tejon with a salt switch would be nice for few bucks.
Willard in Spokane.

never owned the X5 but have owned and still do the X2 not the cadiallac but being built by Tesoro it is and still one of the best coin and jewely detectors as for as I am concerned JMHO! Also never owned the Tejon but maybe when my ship comes in I will have used one forabout a hour that a friend had and extreamly dfeep and accurate here in the north Texas soil

The X5 had many rave reviews when it first appeared and is still considered a very good detector. However, as mentioned above, the backing is weak or non-existant. Comparing to the Cortez is pretty much and apples versus oranges in my opinion as the X5 is a beep and dig detector while the Cortez is a TID model. Personally, I would give a lot of thought to purchasing a used X5 as I'd be concerned that it would become a total orphan if service were needed.
BB

I bought a Troy X5 brand new here in the UK 12 years ago,was very expensive as well,had the stock coil,elliptical and the 7'' coil,used it for about 15 months with possibly nearly a 1000 hours on the clock,without doubt the worst detector that i have ever bought,the discrimination was absolutely terrible it just loved iron and on many of my trashy sites it was not a pleasure to use.

As luck would have it,as they had been a rare detector in the UK,someone wanted one badly,i sold it for exactly the same as i had bought it for,its rare that one gets back what one pays for a detector these days,its the only detector that i have never liked and infact the only one that i have ever sold.How ever hard i tried to like it and spent many hours talking with Troy on the phone,which cost a fortune on its own due to the long distance charges,was happy when it went.Have never seen another one being used in the UK since either.My opinion is they had been the most hyped up machine going.

I also tried to like it, and I traveled to many different sites with it and other devices, and I had the coils for it. Most of my sites were old, Relic Hunting oriented with amole ferrous contamination. By design the X5 had several annoying issues with the fixed GB and with the interaction of the Discriminate mode control and changes in that setting effecting the adjusted GB setting. Pinpoint button problems at a very young age as well. I did like the coil sizes available, and the outward appearance of the Shadow X5 was fine, but overall it was a let-down in the performance department.

Also, like Mega, it was one of the few detectors I ever sold and either broke-even or came out ahead. In that case I was the winner. As I do with any detector I get in-hand to use and evaluate, I put it up against several others in side-by-side comparisons afield and it just didn't make the cut and had too many design glitches.

Monte

pjroo3 said:
Does anyone here have any experience with the X-5?
Yes, quite a bit.

pjroo3 said:
I currently have a Cortes and it is a great machine.
I had experiences with the Cortés as well, but if you think it's a great machine, there w definitely differ on that opinion. My experiences with it when first released as well as with the 2nd specimen I had were not very impressive. I felt it was over-priced at the time of introduction, and definitely is today, as the competitor's have a lot to offer that outclass the Cortés. Plus it is limited in versatility and using accessory search coils in a wide range of mineralized environments due to the internally preset Disc. mode GB. That's where I experienced the most irritations with the Cortés.

pjroo3 said:
I just enjoy trying other machines and was wondering if the X-5 is as good as the Cortes?
If I was forced to choose between those two to select one detector to use exclusively for three months, it would be the Cortés.

Fortunately, for me, I don't have to make that choice with the excellent and versatile array of makes and models in my Regular-Use Detector Team. There4 are several Tesoro models that rank in my 'favorite' category, but the Cortés isn't one of them, and the X-5 doesn't rattle my cage either.

Monte

The X5 was over hyped, bought one because of it. Sold it two weeks later.
Cortes like the one I had, remember comparing it to a Whites MXT, comparable depth performance in my soil conditions. Ended up selling it due to not being able to GB in disc. mode. Which wouldn't make it a good detector when I was moving to the hot red clay mineralized soils of Georgia. The Cortes were selling used for about $250 to $300 at the time. I wouldn't touch one today, much better machines for the same money new or used today.