Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro disc at depth?

Hey all, I was wondering if any of you have dealt with this issue. With my Vaquero I would get a perfect deep signal, I'd turn the disc up to max as to get an idea of the target. With the disc at max I would still have a perfect signal. Then after digging the target it would bedeep ppull tabs. This happened time and time again. That was one of the main reasons I got rid of it but now it has me wondering if I just had a dud unit.

I have a Cibola Jason, but I can say I've never experienced that issue. You may have had a problem with your machine.

Maybe my Vaquero did have an issue then. The Cibola I had was a much better performer even with a fixed ground balance.

My Vaquero never gave a good reading on pull tab with the disc maxed out. Sometimes it would on really rusty iron.

wheatymike said:
My Vaquero never gave a good reading on pull tab with the disc maxed out. Sometimes it would on really rusty iron.

Same here. Ill have to admit that deep horseshoes have fooled me a few times.

My Vaquero has yet to be fooled by a disc'd out pulltab but it along with every other detector I have ever owned has been fooled by iron .
I mostly hunt the Vaq between foil and nickel in the dirt . In wood chips all metal or the disc at it's lowest .

dirt doctor said:
My Vaquero has yet to be fooled by a disc'd out pulltab but it along with every other detector I have ever owned has been fooled by iron .
I mostly hunt the Vaq between foil and nickel in the dirt . In wood chips all metal or the disc at it's lowest .

Don't know if this has any bearing, but even though I never dug a tab that deep with my Vaq, I did come across one at 10" with my 10" coil on my F70 and for a short second I saw numbers the same as a dime and I had a solid, repeatable high tone on every swing from all directions.
Maybe this is something that is common to many detectors.

Not sure what the issue was with mine then. It only happened on pull tabs 5+ inches but ithad me so damn frustrated making them sound like coins.

REVIER said:
dirt doctor said:

Don't know if this has any bearing, but even though I never dug a tab that deep with my Vaq, I did come across one at 10" with my 10" coil on my F70 and for a short second I saw numbers the same as a dime and I had a solid, repeatable high tone on every swing from all directions.
Maybe this is something that is common to many detectors.

I believe you are right REVIER , I've had that happen with other detectors but not at 10", that's an incredible depth . I also noticed it was one type of differently shaped tab in particular that would do this . In my mineralized dirt I don't go over 6" or 7" very often at all most of my finds are at about 3" to 5" . The last time I hit 8" was on a silver quarter with a T2 .

I've had it happen twice with my Tejon, deep ring tabs, around 10 " (the Lesche tool top of the handle is almost even with the surface of the ground when I reached the target). It's a faint but good clear sound that stays smooth with the disc up past screw cap. I've read that Tesoro discrimination is only effective for about 10" or so, then you are on your own. Fortunately most tabs aren't that deep and disc out fine. I'll take an occasional tab for a machine that can hit silver that deep.

When my ground balance is set too negative on the Vaq, it'll false on tabs, but it'll usually only give a good beep in one or two directions while "X-ing" over the target rather than from all 4 directions. Especially happens with those deep, folded-over beavertail tabs.

Both the Outlaw and the Silver uMax I have used were fooled by the old beaver-tail pull tabs from time to time, especially when the tail is folded over the ring part, and especially when they were rather deep.

AHA!!! - BUT here's the thing guys like @MichiganJason totally overlook when they get suckered into digging pull tabs (and we're taling old-timey beavertail beer tabs, not today's pop-tops, especially of they're deep): Pull tabs deep point to SILVER and old coppers planted deep, too. And THAT'S why old timers who had nothing more than BFO machines back in the day (think caveman days) and those with modern machines don't go crabbing about digging beavertail pulltabs, especially if they're deep.

It's like everyone wants everything easy and well-defined these days. Bahahahaahahahaah! Good luck with that. Those who actually know stuff and figure stuff out are the ones going home with the prizes. Learn from them.

I wasn't aware that wanting the disc to work properly was wanting it easy. I've never dug pull tabs with any other machine when I've had them discriminated out. Tell me Old wise one, what's the point of having a machine that has a disc that doesn't work? I couldn't care less about finding jewelry, I hunt for old coins. If using your Vaquero gets you all warm in the trousers good for you. It was mediocre at best for me.

ScottBuckner said:
AHA!!! - BUT here's the thing guys like @MichiganJason totally overlook when they get suckered into digging pull tabs (and we're taling old-timey beavertail beer tabs, not today's pop-tops, especially of they're deep): Pull tabs deep point to SILVER and old coppers planted deep, too. And THAT'S why old timers who had nothing more than BFO machines back in the day (think caveman days) and those with modern machines don't go crabbing about digging beavertail pulltabs, especially if they're deep.

It's like everyone wants everything easy and well-defined these days. Bahahahaahahahaah! Good luck with that. Those who actually know stuff and figure stuff out are the ones going home with the prizes. Learn from them.
Good point, but not always the case. I dig many, many beavertails (I usually can ID them before I dig them) and have not found one silver coin near them. I know they help to date the area so I like to dig them, for awhile at least. In parks/schools/public areas, I dig them all as to not miss any gold. Jason are you running the thresh and sens real hot? My Vaquero's disc was so inaccurate, it was basically useless when supertuned. The higher the sens the worse it was

Yes Scott, I ran it hot. It was the only way to get any depth out of it. Again, maybe I had a did but it was pretty piss poor compared to other Tesoro's I've used.

I wasn't going to tackle this topic but here goes!
First and this isn't with a Tesoro yet!
Many of my other detectors when dealing with the low conductors like, beaver tail tabs (these are called pull and toss tabs) and nickels I have found that even air testing them they go up the ID scale as the distance is increased from the coil and I suspect that in the ground they do it even worse.
Down to around the 4" range things are normal, its somewhere around the 5" and beyond where the problem starts to happen.

I've got nickels planted all over my yard, I have them @
3"
4"
5"
6" x2
7"
8"
At 5" these start going up the ID scale towards bottle caps, at 6" they're more in the zinc penny range. With some of my detectors its worse than others. I discovered this at first with my Fisher 1266, it loves deep nickels even when the discrimination is set up well above them, this means it also like deep pull & toss tabs. Some think when they find a deep V-nickel running the disc above nickels that they fall higher up the ID range then a regular Jefferson does? or that they halo enough to raise them up the scale, not so! at 7" deep and buried longer than three years the 1266 has trouble disc'ed them out, same pull tabs at that depth.
I can't explain it? but I know it happens!
I'm thinking I air tested my Tejon with nickels and I'm thinking it kept them disc out all the way out??

One thing I found out about my Vaquero that I had, if you ran it HOT! it got HOT on even nails at depth, pretty small ones at that, it would disc them out find to around 4" to maybe 5" then it just went more towards all-metal. In other words for me trying to hunt deeper coins I didn't feel the Vaquero was up to the task and maintain its discrimination values.

Air testing nickels gets fun with how different detectors handle them. Wave them in front of the coil at about 3" and run the disc up just a tad above them or to where they start breaking up, then move them out to around the 6" to 7" range and see if they hit like a higher conductive coin. I'm not saying this happens with EVERY detector, but I am saying it does with a good number of them.

Mark

MichiganJason said:
Yes Scott, I ran it hot. It was the only way to get any depth out of it. Again, maybe I had a did but it was pretty piss poor compared to other Tesoro's I've used.
Ok Jason, that explains it. I couldn't get past 5-6" on ANY coins unless I ran sens into the red zone and threshold high enough to make the pinpoint not usable. I agree, the disc should discriminate (hence the name), regardless of what you feel like digging on a particular hunt. I got tired of wasting my time.