Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro disc circuit

Sawbuck

Years ago people would talk about Tesoro disc being ED120 or ED180. But nobody explained what that meant or why it was good.
Could someone explain that? What about the Vista X? What disc does it have?
Thanks,
sawbuck

No problem and I have explained it many times on different forums for a long time, ever since I got a computer in '96.

Initially Tesoro used the Discrimination range that was very similar to what most manufacturers were using at that time back in the 1980's and I referred to it as D-90 or D-100. The 'D' just meaning Discrimination. The '90' or '100' terms I used referred to the amount of the received signal range potential.

One problem a lot of Coin and Jewelry Hunters had back then was was there Tesofo's and other models had a difficult time, meaning impossible, if possible, to detect very small gold jewelry such as small thin chains, baby rings and the like.

In order to satisfy those Coin and Jewelry Hunters, Tesoro increased the lower acceptance range of their Discriminate range so it excepted the upper 120゚ range. That meant the lower Discrimination setting which accepted more of the low end conductivity range targets, could do well at finding gold jewelry as well as other low conductive targets and even enhance the performance on the US nickel.

To better understand the acceptance range, if you were to look at a sine wave the upper half as well as the lower half are 180. It's an 180゚arc Looking at that sign wave wave over on the far right would be your very high conductive targets such as a large US silver dollar.. While way over on the far left range would be the ground signal pretty close to the 180゚ mark and then as you increased the Discrimination to the right you would start progressively rejecting various types of iron based upon the conductivity up to the Ferrous / Non-Ferrouz Break Point which would be right around the 120゚ mark. Then as you continue the adjustment up into the lower conductivity range and on through Nichels and Pull-Tabs to Screw Caps for example.

There were some models that did not have a full ED-180゚ range of acceptance for all targets, both Ferrous and Non-Ferrous, but they did drop down to a lower setting than the ED-120 which then got them down into some of the iron range. That Discrimination was what we referred to as ED-165 and that was the type of Discrimination range on the Vaquero and Cibola and a couple of other models.

Did you have a particular Tesoro you wondering about. Or are you shopping for one?

Monte

Thanks Monte. I always wondered about that. I used Tesoro because it always seemed to come up when discussing Tesoro models.
Do you know how the Vista X disc circuit compares? Is the vista x a "better" Tejon?
Thanks again,
sawbuck

No problem and I have explained it many times on different forums for a long time, ever since I got a computer in '96.

Initially Tesoro used the Discrimination range that was very similar to what most manufacturers were using at that time back in the 1980's and I referred to it as D-90 or D-100. The 'D' just meaning Discrimination. The '90' or '100' terms I used referred to the amount of the received signal range potential.

One problem a lot of Coin and Jewelry Hunters had back then was was there Tesofo's and other models had a difficult time, meaning impossible, if possible, to detect very small gold jewelry such as small thin chains, baby rings and the like.

In order to satisfy those Coin and Jewelry Hunters, Tesoro increased the lower acceptance range of their Discriminate range so it excepted the upper 120゚ range. That meant the lower Discrimination setting which accepted more of the low end conductivity range targets, could do well at finding gold jewelry as well as other low conductive targets and even enhance the performance on the US nickel.

To better understand the acceptance range, if you were to look at a sine wave the upper half as well as the lower half are 180. It's an 180゚arc Looking at that sign wave wave over on the far right would be your very high conductive targets such as a large US silver dollar.. While way over on the far left range would be the ground signal pretty close to the 180゚ mark and then as you increased the Discrimination to the right you would start progressively rejecting various types of iron based upon the conductivity up to the Ferrous / Non-Ferrouz Break Point which would be right around the 120゚ mark. Then as you continue the adjustment up into the lower conductivity range and on through Nichels and Pull-Tabs to Screw Caps for example.

There were some models that did not have a full ED-180゚ range of acceptance for all targets, both Ferrous and Non-Ferrous, but they did drop down to a lower setting than the ED-120 which then got them down into some of the iron range. That Discrimination was what we referred to as ED-165 and that was the type of Discrimination range on the Vaquero and Cibola and a couple of other models.

Did you have a particular Tesoro you wondering about. Or are you shopping for one?

Monte
Question for you… I have a Vaquero, and one Catalog states it has ED-180 disc and another catalog states it has ED-120 disc.
These are the Tesoro factory catalogs.
Which one is it?
Or was there a change made at some point?

Question for you… I have a Vaquero, and one Catalog states it has ED-180 disc and another catalog states it has ED-120 disc.
These are the Tesoro factory catalogs.
Which one is it?
Or was there a change made at some point?
Neither. When first introduced they stated ED-180, but I quickly pointed out it was not a full-range of acceptance. Then someone changed it to read ED-120, but it obviously accepted lower thN my ED-120 models.

I called and talked with Jack Gifford and we both agreed it was more of anED-165 range of acceptance, as is the Cibola..

Monte

Neither. When first introduced they stated ED-180, but I quickly pointed out it was not a full-range of acceptance. Then someone changed it to read ED-120, but it obviously accepted lower thN my ED-120 models.

I called and talked with Jack Gifford and we both agreed it was more of anED-165 range of acceptance, as is the Cibola..

Monte
I see… thanks for the explaination.

Monte
Thanks for that explanation Monte.

I have another problem with the Tejon.
Looking around for another Mojave as a back up.
Or any other 12 khz Tesoros
I came across a new Tejon.
Excited to find any new Tesoros.
I jumped at it.
Not realizing it ran the Delta coils.
Wasn't mentioned either.
I should have searched that. Darn.
Over the years I've purchased most of the Epsilon coils for my Mojave. So far they all work perfectly.
Especially the Big Foot coil.
The little 4.5 inch concentric is very hot on tiny jewelry. 😊
My question.
Are there any adapters or any way to adapt the Epsilon coils to run on the Tejon ?
I really hate to try and find more coils that are pretty much gone. 😔

My question.
Are there any adapters or any way to adapt the Epsilon coils to run on the Tejon ?
Sorry, but No. It's not just matching pins on connectors but the entire circuitry design.

You might be able to sell / trade the Tejon for coils that fit other Tesoro's you have. Other than the dedicated Gold Hunnting detectors, or the Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon and Lobo Super Traq, most of the other Tesoro models will interchange coils. They operate at 10 kHz or 12 kHz, plus the only 15 kHz unit they made, the Golden Sabre Plus. All of them share coils.

Monte

Sorry, but No. It's not just matching pins on connectors but the entire circuitry design.

You might be able to sell / trade the Tejon for coils that fit other Tesoro's you have. Other than the dedicated Gold Hunnting detectors, or the Vaquero, Cibola, Tejon and Lobo Super Traq, most of the other Tesoro models will interchange coils. They operate at 10 kHz or 12 kHz, plus the only 15 kHz unit they made, the Golden Sabre Plus. All of them share coils.

Monte
Darn
Thank You Monte