Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Discrimination Question...

pinenut

I know many of us have used several current Tesoro models. Of those I have used, I know some have much better, more accurate descrimination than others. It's not just the way my sensitivity or GB is set, or the coil I'm using, or the individual metal detector. I say this, because I've bought two of each model, of the Tesoros I have wanted. Of mine, the one that's deepest and most sensitive to smallest metal bits, also seems to have the least accurate disc (even if it does use two disc circuits). That model won't disc out steel bottle caps, sometimes even at max (depending on cap and rust). The best disc of mine, seems to be from a discontinued 5 pin model.

Q: You guys who use several different, currently made models; which one with an adjustable ground balance, has the most consistently accurate disc?

Outlaw? Vaquero?

Also, which older model Tesoro was known for most accurate discrimination?

I run my Tesoros at minimum discrimination, I have older models like the Bandido and I have the Outlaw. Both have great small iron discrimination and I use them at older locations like old farm houses, old churches, picnic groves and similar rural hunt sites. At these types of places to hunt I can freely dig and by looking at the object after being dug up is my only means of discrimination.

Edit to say: I run minimum disc. on the ED-120 machines like the Bandido series, Toltec ll, Silver series etc.

The lowly Compadre seems to be most accurate. When Tabdog was on the forum, he set the disc. to reject a pair of vise grips and still pick up a penny laid atop it! I think the reason is partly due to it's not having the high gain, low noise circuitry. Have you tried raising the coil over these bottlecaps?

I have owned 2 Tejon's and I noticed right off that the disc were very accurate.

Ron in WV

Of the current models, I've found the Cibola disc to be quite accurate....that said, it depends on what you what to detect. I picked up two small gold sleeper earrings (just out of sight...not deep), but the disc was set below iron, otherwise they would not have registered. That has more to do with the target than the disc on the detector.

WV62 said:
I have owned 2 Tejon's and I noticed right off that the disc were very accurate.

Ron in WV

Interesting... Neither of mine are, and they were bought 1 new and 1 just barely used. Ferrous metals either disc out much higher than they should, or not at all. This is compared to Compadre, Eldorado and Vaquero. I've read where others seem to love the Tejon discrimination, but going back & forth between Tejon & Vaquero, I don't like the Tejon disc, even though they have two circuits. Great feature, or would be if the disc worked the way I think it should. I know that as a "relic" tool, Tejon works well in depth and sensitivity.
Both my Vaqueros and Eldorados make bottle caps clicky and about gone around zinc cent range; not so with Tejon.

My Compadre for me is probably a bit more fun to use than my Vaq...maybe a little sharper on the disc.
The Vaq ain't no slouch, though, pretty accurate as long as I thumb up past the target and then thumb back down to where the target comes in.
Most bottle caps are not much of a problem using the standard concentric or the sniper concentric as most of them disc out or sound funny if they don't.
Change over to a DD coil and a whole different ball game.

I think the hotter they are they less accurate they disc. I would say a Bandido Umax has the better disc compared to say a Cibola or vaquero. Not on top of the ground now, I mean buried stuff when you hunt, I was much more fooled by iron objects with Cibola,vaquero,tejon than buy the ones that are not of that family, that hot group of detectors.
If I was to get another one I would get an outlaw I believe, that's supposed to disc like the Bandido, from what Ive read.

REVIER said:
...Change over to a DD coil and a whole different ball game.

That's probably why I don't like the Tejon disc. I have only used two different DD coils on it; 5.75 and the 11x8.
Disc isn't accurate with either, BUT, the Vaquero with that same 5.75 DD seems to disc OK. My Eldorado has good disc, but I'm using the 5.75 concentric on it. Wish I could use a concentric all the time, but I also have serious mineralization to deal with. Looks like the Tejon will will try a concentric next, but I think that'll not work too well up here.. Maybe I'll just keep the Tejon set aside for the occasional relic hunt in cleaner, milder soil.

Neil said:
I think the hotter they are they less accurate they disc. I would say a Bandido Umax has the better disc compared to say a Cibola or vaquero. Not on top of the ground now, I mean buried stuff when you hunt, I was much more fooled by iron objects with Cibola,vaquero,tejon than buy the ones that are not of that family, that hot group of detectors.
If I was to get another one I would get an outlaw I believe, that's supposed to disc like the Bandido, from what Ive read.

Sort of what I was thinking; the lower frequency, 5 pin models may just discriminate better. I may pick up an Outlaw just to see if I like it.. ^_^

it does matter what you want to disc out :biggrin: everyone wants iron gone and that's great at old sites and I would say the older micromax 5 pins are better at that, and the newer HOT or 4 pins better at disc ing out aluminium.

but DD coils on hot single freq detectors hit beer caps and so we have to learn how to tell them apart dig enough you will learn :buds:

horses for courses or how ever the saying goes ya don't run a golden slipper horse in the Melbourne cup everyone knows that but not everyone knows which horse is which :wave:

AJ

amberjack said:
horses for courses or how ever the saying goes ya don't run a golden slipper horse in the Melbourne cup everyone knows that but not everyone knows which horse is which :wave:

AJ

Amen.

amberjack said:
...ya don't run a golden slipper horse in the Melbourne cup everyone knows that but not everyone knows which horse is which :wave:

AJ

I'm learning... Haven't had nearly as much time with the one horse, as I've had with the others. Tejon IS more sensitive to really tiny bits and especially ferrous, and disc not as accurate with DD. Best save that machine for milder soil and biger coil hunts, and keep Vaquero for a little of everything else, using either DD or concentric (disc is ok with either, but better w/ concentric). Eldorado is really happy with the small concentric, and in spots without too many hot rocks. Disc works best on it, out of the Tesoros I've used.

On my Trident11 Extreme(UK version of the Vaquero but on steroids) mine came with the 11x8 coil,which works well on open pasture sites,but i think the way forward is by getting a 9x8 Concentric coil too maximize the discrimination of the machine and possibly a smaller coil as well,have on order a Mars 10x6 DD coil which will become my everyday use coil on that machine.The main reason of getting the smaller Mars coil was reducing the weight as i am currently having major problems with my wrist,so using the Trident with the smaller coil should be a good backup light machine to my Deus.

Also have a few other 5 pin machine,the most used one is my Laser B3 with the 4'' and 5.75'' Concentric coils on,mainly used for old ford river crossing for roman votive offering and also at the moment as the harvest is coming off and on trashy sites the smaller coils are great for getting in between the barley/wheat stubble.

I had a compadre were the disc was off .....I fiddled with the disc trim pot on the circuit board and got a nickel to disc out where it should. Man I wish tesoro compadre had a little LCD screen like the Whites IDX so we would not hat to thumb every signal ....while running low disc it would be great To have a visual I'd and comb the grass like a Boss !

JJdigs said:
I had a compadre were the disc was off .....I fiddled with the disc trim pot on the circuit board and got a nickel to disc out where it should. Man I wish tesoro compadre had a little LCD screen like the Whites IDX so we would not hat to thumb every signal ....while running low disc it would be great To have a visual I'd and comb the grass like a Boss !

I also have the Compadre but never use it really as i was planning on making it into a pinpointer which i will still do,but the IDX which you have also mentioned is a really lovely machine to use on trashy sites especially with the 5.3 coil on it,with the stock 950 coil its pretty deep for a oldish machine.

How do you like the 15" blue max coil... is the depth good on big coins.....is it really heavy. Do you ever use it. Been wanting to try one myself !

JJdigs said:
How do you like the 15" blue max coil... is the depth good on big coins.....is it really heavy. Do you ever use it. Been wanting to try one myself !

The 15'' coil is very heavy and unwieldy and i would personally not advise it just for coins,but when you take into account that you can buy a IDX Pro subject of course to the condition for a very reasonable amount these days but the trump card is that you can buy the 15'' coil brand new fro Whites at a very cheap price when compared with coils generally that are on sale these days,for a very small amount of money you can turn the detector into a pretty deep machine that can be used for deep artifacts or in my case hoard hunting.I wont quote any depths but trust me in the Whites advert it gives you some indication and of course the bigger the item it could go down possibly deeper.

I wont make any claims or suggest anyone goes out and buys this specific combination,but the way that i look at it some of these deep seeking machines cost a massive amount of money and as a general rule just sit in the cupboard gathering dust,but a IDX Pro with a 15'' Concentric coils bucks the trend,i personally love it and carry it with me all the time just incase i need to go deeper.

Of course these are just my personal thoughts on how i use it,but not many machines will touch it for depth on large items for the the financial outlay.

I will have to get the 15" in my arsenal. For a $100 it totally worth it. Thanks for your reply mega....hey do you have any time YouTube videos ?

The lowly Compadre or is it? With ED-180 discrimination it can find the smallest bit of metal in any tot lot. Set the discrimination just high enough to eliminate small iron nails and hair pins (lots of these always) and dig, dig, dig every signal in them lots. Never know what you may find...