Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro epsilon coil

DigginDoc

Hi everyone
Does anybody have and use the newer epsilon 5 pin DD coil on their machine? Looking for a report on them.
I am thinking of getting one for my Eldorado and silver umax and wondered how they are.
Thanks in advance:thumbup:
Doc

Added one to my Silver uMax, turned it into a new detector over the 8" concentric stock coil.

Added 2-4 inches in my dirty dirt on a buried silver quarter in my garden. Others will tell you concentrics are deeper, not here in Arkansas in my dirt.

DONOT use an air test to gauge it's performance, you will think you got a bad 11x8 RSD.

There's one on ebay right now if you don't want to buy new.

But, with that said, before you spend $150 for a new coil, you can get a Vaquero with the 11x8 for $450, or Cibola with the 11x8 for $370 that will do circles around the Silver uMax.
jmho

Subscribed. Also interested.
I have the 4, 5.75, and 8 but all concentric.
Also looking at the 10 elliptical widescan too. But any DD really I'm interested in how they perform

I have the 10X12" DD coil that came with my Outlaw, it's only saving grace is ground coverage, great at sports fields and plowed fields. When in heavy iron infestation the 7 inch concentrics are great, only bad thing is, they are no longer in production. As with any popular discontinued Tesoro product, you can sometimes find them on the used market at bargain prices.

Those 11x8 coils are real nice and have great target seperation.

Thanks for the great info on these units. A lot of food for thought.
Cheers
Doc

They work great nice and thin, it is my main search coil over the 8 inch standard brown coil. I used it on my Tesoro Silver Sabre, going to get one for my Tesoro Cutlass II µMax

Hombre said:
I have the 10X12" DD coil that came with my Outlaw, it's only saving grace is ground coverage, great at sports fields and plowed fields. When in heavy iron infestation the 7 inch concentrics are great, only bad thing is, they are no longer in production. As with any popular discontinued Tesoro product, you can sometimes find them on the used market at bargain prices.
So are you saying the 10x12 do well?
I have an outlaw 3 coil pack on the way. Got it for a price I couldn't pass up. You said only saving grace is coverage so curious if that meant it sucks.

Stefan........

I have been plucking the goodies out of nail infested old yards for 22 years, concentric coils ( 8" &6") rule in those scenarios. The big DD coils are for better ground coverage and not good target unmasking in trash. I say this from experience. Think about it, in thick trash, there could be a dozen or more targets both good and bad under that big DD coil, yet when you slip on a smaller concentric coil, you can pick or choose your targets out of the trash. Just my 2¢...

PS: I plan on using my 10X12" on my Outlaw again this fall as I just discovered a ghost town near me, it is in a wheat field that just got cut.

Randy

Hombre said:
Stefan........

I have been plucking the goodies out of nail infested old yards for 22 years, concentric coils ( 8" &6") rule in those scenarios. The big DD coils are for better ground coverage and not good target unmasking in trash. I say this from experience. Think about it, in thick trash, there could be a dozen or more targets both good and bad under that big DD coil, yet when you slip on a smaller concentric coil, you can pick or choose your targets out of the trash. Just my 2¢...

PS: I plan on using my 10X12" on my Outlaw again this fall as I just discovered a ghost town near me, it is in a wheat field that just got cut.

Randy
Ah okay I understand what you mean. Not that the coil doesn't perform, just that like all coils certain ones have certain strengths and weaknesses. I don't use my large coils in busy areas either.

Stoof-tabsallday said:
Hombre said:
So are you saying the 10x12 do well?
I have an outlaw 3 coil pack on the way. Got it for a price I couldn't pass up. You said only saving grace is coverage so curious if that meant it sucks.

Depends on where you use it and I don't think it sucks by any means.
I have one for my Vaq and I like it a lot, I am more into snipers because I tend to hunt some pretty trashy sites but when I need to cover a lot of ground efficiently when I pull out the Vaquero my 10X12 gets the call.
I bought mine used from a hunter that tried to use it in the woods but it kept getting caught in the undergrowth.
I don't like using my Tesoros in pop top infested sites, there are ways to figure them out but it takes a few seconds so I would rather use concentrics in sites like that or I just opt to use my Fisher unit instead.
Using this big coil in wide open spaces gives me confidence and the feeling I am not missing much, the speed and target separation for me has been excellent.
Here is one gold ring I found that paid for that coil and then some, to this day I don't think I could have found it without a fast machine and that big coil because of how I was hunting at the time.
I was getting tired and ready to go home but I decided to run around part of a big field one more time hoping to get a lucky strike...and I did.
When I say running I mean that literally because I was practically at a trot and I was sweeping that coil wide and super fast trying cover as much ground as possible in those last few minutes.
You would have laughed at me if you watched, I looked like a hockey player speeding down the ice on a fast break.
I had the disc a little below nickel and got a quick solid signal even at the speed I was moving so I stopped and went back.
It disced out in tabs but it was solid so I got down and dug it and I opened a small 3" deep hole and saw a beaver tail at the bottom.
I stuck my pinpointer in the hole for one last check and got another signal that was in the wall of the hole only an inch or two deep so I used my fingers to scrape away some dirt and tangled in the roots of the grass I see the glint of gold.
A beautiful woman's wedding ring, 5.6 grams of 14k.
From what I remember this thing disced out a bit lower at the nickel area.
Even at melt worth way more than what I paid for that big coil so I will always have great memories and confidence when using it and even in trashy sites as long as the predominate trash is not pop tops I have used it with great success and very little frustration.
I hear that new smaller RSD coil is also deep with great separation and a bit better for maneuvering in woods or tight places and if I was in the same situation I would probably opt for that one if I was in the market for a larger DD coil to use in conjunction with my standard concentric but that wasn't available to me at the time and considering what the larger one has found for me in the past few years when I used it I am satisfied and don't plan on replacing it.

The good would be that first pic of the gold ring although this coil has found me a ton of coins and lots if other great targets and other jewelry too.

The drawback is the second pic below.
This is what I dug on one of the first hunts ever using this coil on my Vaq...the bad stuff I dug.
An unusually trashy park which wasn't near me at the time but last year I moved within walking distance away so I hunt it almost exclusively and almost daily now because it is so near and easy to get to.
At the time I didn't have a handle on dealing with trash in general, those pop tops specifically or any techniques to avoid them using this, my first ever DD coil...most trash seemed like decent signals and pop tops all sounded like high tone coins to me at the time.
Since then I have learned a lot more and can avoid most trash like this but when using my Vaq or Compadre in this park I now always use concentric coils, I got a sniper a few years later for the Vaq and made sure it was a concentric coil because of this problem, or I use my F70 and now so most trash and those pop tops are no longer a problem and I dig very few nowadays.
I dig way less trash than all of that as a matter of fact now, I just don't have the time, patience or energy to dig trash like this anymore but I have figured out ways to dig less but stil dig the good stuff that works for me well enough.
As always the correct choice of the right tool for the right job will prevent frustration and lead to more fun and successful hunts.

Not trying to high jack this thread, but can somebody explain what a epsilon coil is. Is this the name of the coil, is it a Tesoro coil, is it concentric, DD (WS) (RSD) or something else? I am just getting back into the Tesoro detectors, so this coil thing is kind of new to me.

Ron in WV

Different coils for different detectors.
Tesoro divides them into 2 classifications, Epsilon and Delta.
Epsilon are 5 pin, Deltas are 4 pin.
The Tesoro website has all the info about these and I believe they state on the unit pages which coils fit what.

Ahhh....amberjack beat me to it.
Hey man it's like midnight in your part of the world right now....aren't you supposed to be in bed getting your beauty sleep? :heh:

want to get even more funky Delta is the forth letter in the Greek alphabet guess that works 4 pins, Epsilon is the 5th letter in the Greek alphabet guess that works for 5 pin.

what I don't get is why they went from Spanish everything to Greek letters :shrug:

like who plundered who don't even think its the same era anyway they really couldn't use Spanish letters as they are the same as English so :bouncy:

AJ

Thanks guys,

That tells me being I have a Tejon 4pin Delta I shouldn't even be on this thread. :lol:

No, for real this thread has been a good read, and I learned a little something. When in Tesoro you must speak Tesoro.:cheers:

Ron in WV

yeah you need the Delta thread :blowup: is there one of those :unsure:

I don't know what everyone's talkin about half the time so don't worry :biggrin:

AJ