Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Golden uMax

Just got a Tesoro Golden uMax. (new to me). Old tone version. Any helpful hints from you Golden users out there,. Or would you like to just tell me about your hunts or hunting style with this machine .

All i can really say is,having a golden makes metal detecting so much fun again.The golden is my first tone detector since the 70's and i would take it into the park before a overweight detector any day.It will easily get the silver jewelry and silver coins with little trouble in a trashy park.My new tone golden has plenty depth on deep silver coins for sure.I can stand in one spot and hear the deep coins by listening to the whisper faint tones.I will not part with my golden.

I think I am going to like this Golden. I'm still keeping my V though. :)

I try to hunt with the factory coil or the 8" coil when using the Golden. I want it's ID to be as accurate as possible while giving it the best possible depth.

The real trick to the Golden is to gather up some trash and some gold bands (women's in particular) and play around with the narrow notch setting and the notch width dial. If you understand, at least in general, what the notch does and what the notch width dial is doing, it will help make you more effective with the Golden umax. You can dial the notch width dial upwards until troublesome trash items disappear or no longer produce a solid tone (they beep, but it is broken). I think that you will find that some of the gold will disappear too, but that most of it will remain detectable by the Golden.

The intent of the Golden is to allow you to go into a fairly trashy area and to eliminate a lot of the lower conductivity trash items. If you dig 35% less trash while filtering out only 10% of potential rings in that same area of conductivity, it tilts the odds in your favor. I only use the notch when the trash is so fierce that I have decided that I will not otherwise dig targets in the pull-tab range. The Golden can make the job more manageable in these situations.

The best I have done in terms of depth with the Golden is 6.5" to 7" on a silver dime and it was a really sketchy dig in the sense that most folks would have rightfully walked on. I'd say that 6" is pretty close to the end of the Golden's realistic range on dimes. I think that the detector is intentionally numbed down a bit so it doesn't sound off on micro-trash. It is able to get into trashy spots that would drive you insane with some other detectors and go cherry pick most of the good stuff. But the trade off for not being fooled by small pieces of trash is that it's depth isn't going to blow you away.

Anyhow, these features all combine to make the Golden umax a fairly effortless trash hunter. It is also a very fun, enjoyable detector to use because it keeps you out of most of the really frustrating recovery situations. You will almost never be combing through grass roots looking for a speck of aluminum trash - the Golden just cruises on by.

About the only tip that I have for you is to listen to the threshold for a little bit when you first turn it on. If the area has some EMI problems, you can probably hear it in the threshold. The Golden does a good job of filtering all of this out once it is in discrimination mode, but if you notice EMI while in all-metal, you will probably want to slow your sweep speed down and work a little slower than normal.

Thanks for the reply Top. I have noticed that it air test resonably well as compaired to my Silver Sabre uMax. ( as far as depth goes). The Sabre would pick up on small items. I am not sure how the Golden does on these small items as I have limited hunting time on it. One thing I did notice the other day while air testing it in the yard, was a very very slight hum sound while in disc mode, It was so quite you could barely hear it . I wonder if this is EMI? Thanks again Wheaty.

I doubt that the hum you are hearing is EMI. 1/4" headphone jacks by their very nature are really good at picking up cross-over electrical noise. I mean, the plugs are chunks of metal separated into 2 (mono) or 3 (stereo) conductive areas and it is very possible that you are hearing some cross-over from the ground or maybe something else inside the detector itself.

I have a Silver umax and, like you, I noticed that the Golden was similar in depth tests to the Silver. I've not used the Silver enough to have an opinion about small targets. When I want depth, I grab the Deleon.

If it goes away in another area it is most likely some type of emi interference i would think.It happens to me sometimes in some spots but the Tesoros are some of the best i have used in high emi situations.