Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Golden uMax

Whimpster

Any one know how many golden uMax new tones were sold before Tesoro stopped production on them?
I've got a golden old tone...was just wondering.....my serial number starts in the 161,000 area....it also has the louvered faceplate.
This is a new to me detector... any learning tip for a newbie....

Thanks

Most say four, some say there is a hidden fifth tone...

I recommend a smaller coil for it... either the 7 inch wide scan, which I think works very well, or the 5.75 concentric. I think both work better than the 9x8 spoked coil.

hihosilver

I've got a number of five pin coils...7",5.75,8" and 10.5" all concentric coils.....would the 3x18 clean sweep be a good coil...any other tips that would help in the learning curve...

Thank you:)

hihosilver said:
I recommend a smaller coil for it... either the 7 inch wide scan, which I think works very well, or the 5.75 concentric. I think both work better than the 9x8 spoked coil.

Whimpster said:
hihosilver

I've got a number of five pin coils...7",5.75,8" and 10.5" all concentric coils.....would the 3x18 clean sweep be a good coil...any other tips that would help in the learning curve...

hihosilver said:

Whimpster, I have never tried anything larger than the 9x8 concentric. I have heard and read about the clean sweep on the golden, that it works well because of the narrow field of detection, but you will need to adjust the internal GB pot to ground balance (if need be).

I noticed with my golden that often times the tones were too mixed or conglomerated with the 9x8 coil. I think that what happens is two or more targets under that coil sound off, creating confusion to the ear. I also noticed that this coil would pick up deeper pulltabs with a soft high tone. The 7inch widescan solved that problem and, I personally have not been fooled by too many bottle caps, even though it's a widescan coil.

My only real complaint is that it is not a deep coil, I think the 5.75 concentric might be deeper but I have not really tried it yet because I would need to adjust the GB pot and I don't want to do that, as I had Tesoro tune the detector to the 7 inch WS when I sent it in for a minor repair. (The 5.75 airtests deeper than the 7 inch WS, but over actual ground, the WS does better.)

The Golden is a fun detector and I think mine is deep enough for the parks I hunt in. After a while, you can really tell when you hit a quarter too.

As far as the notch, I have found that using it does not cause the detector to lose depth, only higher disc does that, anything above foil really starts to reduce depth. But, you don't need to raise the disc so high, that's what having tones are for, right?

I don't supertune either. I like to flip the toggle over to all metal sometimes to hear how a target sounds and having threshold set super high would make using all metal useless.

I guess the last thing I will comment about is the tones themselves. I have the original configuration that keeps the tones in their proper conductive order, so a zinc sounds off where it should, with the higher middle tone. Some seem to think that the two middle tones are too close together, but after some use it is easy to tell the difference (or if you need to, take a nickel with you to remind you how the lower middle tone sounds.)

I run mine with the notch width bob set at about 10:00 o'clock, this has the nickel just sounding off with the lower middle tone as well as smaller gold rings (my wedding band, my wife's band as well). At this setting pretty much all the tabs I own (different samples from the ground) all sound off with the higher middle tone. In fact
, the only kind of aluminum I cannot eliminate from the lower middle tone is smaller can slaw and some of the smaller round foil caps from the sports drinks, everything else is eliminated. So, I get a lot of nickels, cause I always dig that lower middle tone.

Good luck with yours, hope you find the gold with the golden.

Thank you for the reply hihosilver...yes I have the old tone golden as well,it's nice to talk to someone that has the old tones...can relate to them better:)
I just received 3x18 clean sweep today hoping to get out soon if the weather will warm up...
You said you sent your golden back to Tesoro for a checkup and to tune the 7" WC coil to the golden....I'm in Canada so it's a bit of a pain to send it to Tesoro for a checkup...just the cost one way would be about $40.00.
I'm wondering if I could tune the coils to my machine by using a piece of ferrite?.....I think the golden is a tad negative with the 9x8 coil now.
Do you know the procedure to ground balance a golden or any fixed GB Tesoro machine with a piece of ferrite....it would save me a ton of time and expense if I could match my coils as I use them...I've seen the board layout for the golden and know which is the GB pot...I won't mess with the tone pot...:)
Hihosilver you have been most helpful with your notch width settings and I'll follow your directions to a T:)
Now just gota get the snow to leave....

Thanks again... HH

hihosilver said:
Whimpster said:
hihosilver

hihosilver said:

Whimpster, I have never tried anything larger than the 9x8 concentric. I have heard and read about the clean sweep on the golden, that it works well because of the narrow field of detection, but you will need to adjust the internal GB pot to ground balance (if need be).

I noticed with my golden that often times the tones were too mixed or conglomerated with the 9x8 coil. I think that what happens is two or more targets under that coil sound off, creating confusion to the ear. I also noticed that this coil would pick up deeper pulltabs with a soft high tone. The 7inch widescan solved that problem and, I personally have not been fooled by too many bottle caps, even though it's a widescan coil.

My only real complaint is that it is not a deep coil, I think the 5.75 concentric might be deeper but I have not really tried it yet because I would need to adjust the GB pot and I don't want to do that, as I had Tesoro tune the detector to the 7 inch WS when I sent it in for a minor repair. (The 5.75 airtests deeper than the 7 inch WS, but over actual ground, the WS does better.)

The Golden is a fun detector and I think mine is deep enough for the parks I hunt in. After a while, you can really tell when you hit a quarter too.

As far as the notch, I have found that using it does not cause the detector to lose depth, only higher disc does that, anything above foil really starts to reduce depth. But, you don't need to raise the disc so high, that's what having tones are for, right?

I don't supertune either. I like to flip the toggle over to all metal sometimes to hear how a target sounds and having threshold set super high would make using all metal useless.

I guess the last thing I will comment about is the tones themselves. I have the original configuration that keeps the tones in their proper conductive order, so a zinc sounds off where it should, with the higher middle tone. Some seem to think that the two middle tones are too close together, but after some use it is easy to tell the difference (or if you need to, take a nickel with you to remind you how the lower middle tone sounds.)

I run mine with the notch width bob set at about 10:00 o'clock, this has the nickel just sounding off with the lower middle tone as well as smaller gold rings (my wedding band, my wife's band as well). At this setting pretty much all the tabs I own (different samples from the ground) all sound off with the higher middle tone. In fact
, the only kind of aluminum I cannot eliminate from the lower middle tone is smaller can slaw and some of the smaller round foil caps from the sports drinks, everything else is eliminated. So, I get a lot of nickels, cause I always dig that lower middle tone.

Good luck with yours, hope you find the gold with the golden.

Whimpster, identifying the correct pot is the hard part! I have done the adjustment myself in the past and it is easy. Use a small jewelers philips head screw driver and gently turn the tiny screw. The direction is the same for the Manuel GB nobs, clockwise to make positive and CCW to make more negative. Only adjust a tiny, tiny bit, not even an 8th of a turn and then test with the machine set in all metal. It's trial and error until you get it the way you want.

Thanks for the tips...thought it wouldn't be that difficult,but wanted to make sure..
I was testing my golden with the 10:00 o'clock setting and find the nickle and pull tabs are very close together in sound...
What tone does your sport drink foil tops fall into...and gum rapper foil when at the 10:00 o'clock setting?

Thanks Bob.

hihosilver said:
Whimpster, identifying the correct pot is the hard part! I have done the adjustment myself in the past and it is easy. Use a small jewelers philips head screw driver and gently turn the tiny screw. The direction is the same for the Manuel GB nobs, clockwise to make positive and CCW to make more negative. Only adjust a tiny, tiny bit, not even an 8th of a turn and then test with the machine set in all metal. It's trial and error until you get it the way you want.