Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Golden with tone mod

Ray(Ca)

I was able to find and purchase a new demo Tesoro golden. Unfortunatly it is the older model so I was wondering if I should have the tone mod done. I had a Golden several years ago and I have regretted selling it ever since. I was just wondering if the new tone mod is better. It will only cost 25.00 so I will need to make a decision before I start using it.

Thanks,
Ray

I did a search on google for Tesoro golden and found a link to the Tesoro website. It says Tesoro will do a mod update for 50.0 if used or 25.00 if new. I would imagine that they are still doing it but I guess I better contact them to make sure.

Ray

yeah might be a good idea to ring them 1st Ray , just so you don't possibly waste shipping money.

let us know what they say?

AJ

Might b best to send mikehillis a pm. He seems to b the 'golden' guru. More experience with them than most anyway.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I can't find a golden ųmax anywhere. Where can I buy one?

Stoof-tabsallday said:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I can't find a golden ųmax anywhere. Where can I buy one?
They stopped production. My understanding is the tone mod can't be done because of a change by a mfg. of one of the key parts.

I've used my righteous old GS since 1985 and Tesoro (thanks Rusty)completely rebuilt EVERYTHING for free including new coils-GREAT company. Old school notch superior to new and it definitely sounds different on targets and talks to ya with that good ol' snap, crackle and pop on trash. John

Aww. Man I really want to find one!!! I've heard great things!!

Difficult unit to master as too many tones and notches....Would be better off with an older notch unit such as the GS 11 or Pantera...Used both and speak from experience.
Actually don't believe they update the notches but a call to Tesoro may be in order...

so anyone ring them see if they do the tone mod?

truly if you want tones and notch there are many new modals from other brands that will do a much better job in my experience, the old Tesoro's are exactly that old.

folk law is great but reality is much better :biggrin:

Tesoro's are good for what they are made to do and these a reason they don't make those old modals any more.

AJ

Sorry Ray, But Tesoro doesn't do the tone mod anymore. When I sold mine to fund another purchase, I thought it would be no big deal, I'd just buy another used one and have it modified. But when I did and called Tesoro to get it setup, they (they being Rusty) told me they don't do the mod anymore. The Golden MicroMax is history.

Based upon the way the phone call went, Rusty considered the new -toned Golden uMax a broken detector that didn't work right anyway and proceeded to try and sell me something else. That whole call was pretty weird as he was also doing a little ranting about some 1st Texas units, one being the EuroTek Pro. Mostly a one sided conversation after I asked about getting my Golden modified.

I figure I never need to hear Rusty talking at me again. But there may be someone there who can carry on a two way converstion. Sorry if I upset the Rusty fans. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

HH
Mike

Ray,

This is just my opinion, but I think you have the better of the two versions of the golden. The original tone configuration keeps the tones in their proper conductive order. The two middle tones are a little close together but with a little use, this will not be an issue. Keep fresh batteries in the golden for maximum depth. Use as little disc as possible (after all that is what having tones is for). I did not care for the 9x8 concentric coil. I asked Tesoro to tune it to a 7" widescan and have been very happy with this coil. The 5.75 concentric also works very well without having to make any adjustment to the internal GB pot. The 5.75 concentric also hits very hard on silver and is a little deeper than the widescan. Again, keep it and learn it, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Also keep in mind that this is an analog machine with tones, so in reality you get more than four tones, you also get the "mixed" tones for objects that hit at the break point between two tone ranges. You can then use your notch adjust nob, with the notch switch in off, to adjust how you want those middle tone conductors to hit.

Mike Hillis said:
Sorry Ray, But Tesoro doesn't do the tone mod anymore. When I sold mine to fund another purchase, I thought it would be no big deal, I'd just buy another used one and have it modified. But when I did and called Tesoro to get it setup, they (they being Rusty) told me they don't do the mod anymore. The Golden MicroMax is history.

Based upon the way the phone call went, Rusty considered the new -toned Golden uMax a broken detector that didn't work right anyway and proceeded to try and sell me something else. That whole call was pretty weird as he was also doing a little ranting about some 1st Texas units, one being the EuroTek Pro. Mostly a one sided conversation after I asked about getting my Golden modified.

I figure I never need to hear Rusty talking at me again. But there may be someone there who can carry on a two way converstion. Sorry if I upset the Rusty fans. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

HH
Mike[/quote
I sense a lot of frustration within the company.

Called Tesoro today and talked with Allen. He in fact verified that Tesoro is not doing the Tone mod anymore. This may be a good thing. Since reading some posts here it appears that the original mod will do just fine. I appreciate everyone's input and now I have the answer to my question.

Thanks,
Ray

yep always pays to ring Tesoro these days as they cant do what they used too do, guess is they don't know how or cant afford it.

AJ