Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Life Time warranty

Fishers Ghost

Does anybody know if Tesoro extend their LT Warranty to second hand detectors?
Sent an email to tesoro a couple of days ago but no reply yet.

Officially, no. In practice quite often. I sent in a detector that I bought used - turned out the problem was a crack in the coil that allowed water to penetrate and cause falsing. They checked it out, tuned it up and sold me a new coil at cost with no charge for the labor nor return shipping. I think they try to be as accommadating as possible in these instances and go beyond what most would expect on used equipment.
BB

I had just picked up a Sand shark from Ebay and was wondering if it would be covered. it is a demo job from an tesoro dealer in the USA, I am in Australia.
I actually wanted a Whites dual Field but could not find anybody(ebay seller) who would ship to Australia so I settled for the Sand Shark.
Hope I did the right thing. I have used Tesoro detectors in the past and they have all been excellent detectors but I have just learnt that the internals of the SS are a bit rough??

I am not sure why some sellers will not ship international, I do it all the time without problems so far. It is just a matter of sticking it in a box and posting the thing, no big deal from Australia to anywhere.

Fishers Ghost said:
I had just picked up a Sand shark from Ebay and was wondering if it would be covered. it is a demo job from an tesoro dealer in the USA, I am in Australia.
I actually wanted a Whites dual Field but could not find anybody(ebay seller) who would ship to Australia so I settled for the Sand Shark.
Hope I did the right thing. I have used Tesoro detectors in the past and they have all been excellent detectors but I have just learnt that the internals of the SS are a bit rough??

I am not sure why some sellers will not ship international, I do it all the time without problems so far. It is just a matter of sticking it in a box and posting the thing, no big deal from Australia to anywhere.

I guess it's because of the extra paperwork and such. Anyway, you did the right thing in purchasing a Sand Shark. I love mine. I'm not sure what you mean when you say the internals are a bit rough though. I'm sure if you want to send it in for a check-up, they won't charge you too much but I wouldn't expect free shipping back to you to Australia! The one thing to make sure of is that you maintain a good seal on the control box. Get yourself some good quality silicone grease and apply it to the O-ring after every cleaning which should be after every use. Good Luck!

By rough I mean that the cct board is held in place by hot glue( hearsay only) instead of board clamps and the board is not protected from water in any way on the off chance that a case leak occurs. Not good for an underwater machine.
On the other hand I have read some pretty good reviews as far as performance is concerned, so I am looking forward to giving it a run at the beach and in the water.
If performance is good then I am sure I can overlook a few dabs of hot glue:cheers:

Well, I've never had an issue with Tesoro's build quality on any of their units. The Sand Shark circuit board is sitting vertical and slides in two slots that are molded in the body. The "dabs of glue", which is RTV, is applied to the edges of the board to keep the board from sliding out.. Less parts, lower costs, less money out of our pockets. The control box is bulit like a tank and if you maintain the maintenance of the unit, I doubt you should ever have any issues with leaking. You won't be disappointed in the machine.

I managed to gain access to some pics of the cct board in position and yes it is clear that the hot glue is a practical way of securing the board and negates the need for nuts, bolts and clips, springs etc and from what I have seen I think that the negative review that I read re the Sand Shark was a bit over the top and uninformed. Maybe the reviewer had a gripe with Tesoro and was being a bit narky.
So the hot glue is not an issue as far as I am concerned.

Fishers Ghost said:

Fishers Ghost,

I was selling a Tesoro CS Coil & the buyer was in Australia............after filling out the customs paperwork, overpacking it to protect it in transit & paying outragous postage, I would never do it again. I will stick with CONUS, sorry.

HaRM

From what I can gather you chaps in the States have to fill out a ton of paperwork to send international.
For me to send to the States I fill out a Customs decleration, which is also the shipping invoice and contains the tracking number if I want insurance then there is another form to fill out.
All up it takes about 5 minutes.
As to the packing box, well that is the senders responsability to pack the item safely.and to insure the item against loss or damage at the buyers request while in transit.You can choose to insure the item yourself but then you foot the insurance cost . If an item is second hand and worth less than 500 dollars I do not bother asking the seller to insure the item (my risk) and in more than 400 items I have not had a lost or damaged item yet.... touch wood

The most I have had to pay to get a second hand metal detector from the States to Australia via USPS Express International was 96.00 dollars US without insurance.

The highest quote with insurance was 240.00 dollars US .(More than what I payed for the item) I opted for no insurance which reduced the quote to 75.00.

Received the Sand Shark today and I must say now that the internals of this detector are nothing like what I saw on the pics that I viewed. This detector is typical tesoro high quality.
I have tested it in my test patch and it performs extremely well and matched my Infinium in that ground; It also had no trouble detecting a 1.34gm gold nugg through a 1.6 kg iron ore slab. The ore gave a tone but it was possible to hear the nug through the ore signal.It also produced a weak tone from my test patch ground minerals. I imagine that the Sand Shark would be capable of finding gold in low to very mild ground iron minerals.
I am looking forward to trying it out at the beach.