Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Mojave coils

woodbutcher

I was thinking of adding a coil to my Tesoro Mojave ,I only have had the stock.The machine is a lot of fun to use,but I’d like a DD coil for walking the coil back to pinpoint,was thinking about a sharpshooter or maybe one of those Tesoro 8x11 inch. My question is has anyone used a nel coil on the Mojave ? I’m curious if it’ll perform ok being a pre set ground balance machine

I used a Cors DD which are probably the same as Nel can't remember the name. It was around a 7x11 size. It just added much weight on the front. I tried it one day and put it on Ebay the next...lol. I liked the 8" doughnut the best on the Mojave. Got about 1" deeper.

I was thinking of adding a coil to my Tesoro Mojave ,I only have had the stock.The machine is a lot of fun to use,but I’d like a DD coil for walking the coil back to pinpoint,was thinking about a sharpshooter or maybe one of those Tesoro 8x11 inch. My question is has anyone used a nel coil on the Mojave ? I’m curious if it’ll perform ok being a pre set ground balance machine
Thee Tesoro Mojave is a very good detector and ranks in there with some of my favorites "turn-on-and-go" models (preset GB) like the Silver Sabre µMAX, and I use mine often. On it I keep a 6" Concentric coil mounted full-time and have tweaked the internal GB trimmer for that coil on that unit to handle almost any ground conditions I might encounter. I don't change coils. I also keep a 6" Concentric coil mounted on my Bandido II µMAX and that's the model I grab should I want to use any different size or type coil because it features the manually-adjusted external Ground Balance function.

I had a Mojave after they came out and enjoyed using it for some hunting applications, but favored my Silver Sabre µMAX because it provided me with a momentary Threshold-based Pinpoint feature. I liked the thin-profile "Precision 7 Inch" Concentric coil on the Mojave, but wondered if a different coil might work better on it, or if that 7" coil, might provide me an 'edge' on one of my other personal-use Tesoro models. I also had a few other gently-used Tesoro models on-hand at the time so I swapped coils around with them as well. Note here that the majority of the places I prefer hunting tend to be heavily littered with Iron Nails ... a lot of Iron Nails, so good-target masking is an issue to deal with. Most Tesoro models do feature a very quick-response and fast-recovery circuitry design, but I have found over the past 38 years that I have been an avid Tesoro user that their better performance is with a Concentric coil and that in side-by-side comparisons the Double-D coils, of comparable size, just do not work as well.

In my comparisons I found this to be true. The Mojave does have the 2-position GB toggle selector switch so in some cases with some coils I swapped around I was able to select a setting that handled the particular coil w/o falsing or errant behavior, but that left the overall potential for that particular detector model and coil to not be fully functional. I did like the Mojave's 7" Concentric coil to work fine on my Bandido II µMAX, bit it didn't offer me any real benefit over my standard-use 6" Concentric. One of my 6" coils worked great on the Mojave, but again it didn't really offer much difference than the stock 7" coil. Both the round nd elliptically-shaped DD coils I tried didn't come close to comparing with the Concentric coils performance, but I anticipated that.

In the end, all coils I used stayed on their assigned model, and that included keeping the 7" Concentric on the Mojave. A good detector & coil duo for many typical Coin Hun5ting applications, but for best versatility and performance, coil exchanges ought to be done with a model that has a manually-adjusted GB to make everything more compatible. I didn't find a Sharpshooter / CORE's coil to be of any benefit at all, especially in more ferrous-litter sites I did some of my comparisons at.

Monte

Thee Tesoro Mojave is a very good detector and ranks in there with some of my favorites "turn-on-and-go" models (preset GB) like the Silver Sabre µMAX, and I use mine often. On it I keep a 6" Concentric coil mounted full-time and have tweaked the internal GB trimmer for that coil on that unit to handle almost any ground conditions I might encounter. I don't change coils. I also keep a 6" Concentric coil mounted on my Bandido II µMAX and that's the model I grab should I want to use any different size or type coil because it features the manually-adjusted external Ground Balance function.

I had a Mojave after they came out and enjoyed using it for some hunting applications, but favored my Silver Sabre µMAX because it provided me with a momentary Threshold-based Pinpoint feature. I liked the thin-profile "Precision 7 Inch" Concentric coil on the Mojave, but wondered if a different coil might work better on it, or if that 7" coil, might provide me an 'edge' on one of my other personal-use Tesoro models. I also had a few other gently-used Tesoro models on-hand at the time so I swapped coils around with them as well. Note here that the majority of the places I prefer hunting tend to be heavily littered with Iron Nails ... a lot of Iron Nails, so good-target masking is an issue to deal with. Most Tesoro models do feature a very quick-response and fast-recovery circuitry design, but I have found over the past 38 years that I have been an avid Tesoro user that their better performance is with a Concentric coil and that in side-by-side comparisons the Double-D coils, of comparable size, just do not work as well.

In my comparisons I found this to be true. The Mojave does have the 2-position GB toggle selector switch so in some cases with some coils I swapped around I was able to select a setting that handled the particular coil w/o falsing or errant behavior, but that left the overall potential for that particular detector model and coil to not be fully functional. I did like the Mojave's 7" Concentric coil to work fine on my Bandido II µMAX, bit it didn't offer me any real benefit over my standard-use 6" Concentric. One of my 6" coils worked great on the Mojave, but again it didn't really offer much difference than the stock 7" coil. Both the round nd elliptically-shaped DD coils I tried didn't come close to comparing with the Concentric coils performance, but I anticipated that.

In the end, all coils I used stayed on their assigned model, and that included keeping the 7" Concentric on the Mojave. A good detector & coil duo for many typical Coin Hun5ting applications, but for best versatility and performance, coil exchanges ought to be done with a model that has a manually-adjusted GB to make everything more compatible. I didn't find a Sharpshooter / CORE's coil to be of any benefit at all, especially in more ferrous-litter sites I did some of my comparisons at.

Monte
Monte
Could you possibly show me how to tweak the GB on my Mojave ?
I've tried numerous coils on it. Even the Cleansweep. With good results.
If adjusting the GB will make it better with different coils.
I would certainly love to learn that.

Monte
Could you possibly show me how to tweak the GB on my Mojave ?
I've tried numerous coils on it. Even the Cleansweep. With good results.
If adjusting the GB will make it better with different coils.
I would certainly love to learn that.
Here is some cheap, low-cost advise I have given most folks with similar inquires since 1983:

If you like to use an assortment of coils
(like 2 or more), and if you select a wide-range of ground mineral challenged sites to hunt .... get a detector with either automated GB, manual GB, or both.

If you use a detector with a factory preset GB, aka 'Fixed GB', I strongly suggest using a factory stock coil that it might have been calibrated to, or select one single search coil you cold leave mounted for most of your needs or specific tasks. If the chosen search coil appears to have a 'functional' GB setting for your most used Discriminate mode ... go enjoy that detector and coil. That's what I do with my preset Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" Concentric coil.

In that case, the SS microMAX has only the one internal trimmer to tweak the Ground Balance. I mounted the 6" coil, then used four mineral specimens and checked the performance in maybe a dozen hunt sites to make sure the GB was not too negative to cause falsing, or too positive which could eliminate the detection of a silver $, a 50¢ piece, or depending upon the particular circuitry and coil mounted, even not detector (hear) a US 25¢ piece or even a 10¢ coin.

As for the Mojave, I wish I had one on hand to open and check to see if there is more than one trimmer. And, unfortunately, I do not know how the circuitry works for the two-position GB select toggle. Just a guess would be that the two GB settings MIGHT have a separate trimmer to adjust the GB for each of the settings, and that would be good ... IF anyone messing with them knew how to Power Balance a Tesoro in the silent-search Disc. mode. Most folks don't.

If there is only one GB trimmer and the two toggle settings are governed in the circuitry, again, someone ought to know how to Power Balance and check each setting to ensure it is functional. In your case, you said the coils you used could work OK, so I would just leave the Mojave as it is, then mount the best coil for most applications and enjoy it.

Monte

Here is some cheap, low-cost advise I have given most folks with similar inquires since 1983:

If you like to use an assortment of coils (like 2 or more), and if you select a wide-range of ground mineral challenged sites to hunt .... get a detector with either automated GB, manual GB, or both.

If you use a detector with a factory preset GB, aka 'Fixed GB', I strongly suggest using a factory stock coil that it might have been calibrated to, or select one single search coil you cold leave mounted for most of your needs or specific tasks. If the chosen search coil appears to have a 'functional' GB setting for your most used Discriminate mode ... go enjoy that detector and coil. That's what I do with my preset Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" Concentric coil.

In that case, the SS microMAX has only the one internal trimmer to tweak the Ground Balance. I mounted the 6" coil, then used four mineral specimens and checked the performance in maybe a dozen hunt sites to make sure the GB was not too negative to cause falsing, or too positive which could eliminate the detection of a silver $, a 50¢ piece, or depending upon the particular circuitry and coil mounted, even not detector (hear) a US 25¢ piece or even a 10¢ coin.

As for the Mojave, I wish I had one on hand to open and check to see if there is more than one trimmer. And, unfortunately, I do not know how the circuitry works for the two-position GB select toggle. Just a guess would be that the two GB settings MIGHT have a separate trimmer to adjust the GB for each of the settings, and that would be good ... IF anyone messing with them knew how to Power Balance a Tesoro in the silent-search Disc. mode. Most folks don't.

If there is only one GB trimmer and the two toggle settings are governed in the circuitry, again, someone ought to know how to Power Balance and check each setting to ensure it is functional. In your case, you said the coils you used could work OK, so I would just leave the Mojave as it is, then mount the best coil for most applications and enjoy it.

Monte
Thanks Monte.
Wish I had a spare one to play with.
I have a few manual and auto GB machines.
Recently picked up the Tejon.
It's frustrating me a bit.
Runs Nothing like the Mojave.
Enjoying my Simplex.