Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro no longer in business

Do you know how to tune the Compadre ?
At least what pot is which.
Love that Mojave. Wish I had a spare.
The person that I used to get my info was Monte which is gone now and he told me how to set the ground balance on the Compadre to make it slighty hotter . I hate to say it but that was years ago and being 75 my memory is not too good like it used to. I am sure some one will remember how to tweak the ground balance and can help you.

The person that I used to get my info was Monte which is gone now and he told me how to set the ground balance on the Compadre to make it slighty hotter . I hate to say it but that was years ago and being 75 my memory is not too good like it used to. I am sure some one will remember how to tweak the ground balance and can help you.
Hmmm.
Thanks anyway. Though you've given me an idea.
I'll search his posts with Compadre added.
I had hoped a moderator could take the time to sort his post into categories. And make that payment.
Seems no one has the time or interest.
I'll try in the morning.
Possibly you could search his posts using your name and Compadre. May narrow it down better.
He has thousands of posts. And more replys.
Thanks again for the reply

I have had several compadres (all used) and I think I sold you the 1 you have. I don't believe it was adjusted, I didn't notice any differences in them. I also have had all the 1 knob detectors made by Garrett, Whites and Fisher. They all performed similar but with differences. It been years ago but some of the differences I remember are: The Tesoros are fast and chirpy because of their higher frequency (good for low conductors). The Fisher is also fast but quiet because of it's very low frequency (less falses from small foil etc). The Whites and Garrett are mid frequency and quiet because they're slower (easiest for a beginner to use). The Fisher and the Tesoro are the most capable. I have never recommended Garret but their 1 knob is the best detector for someone with zero experience that doesn't want to 'work' at detecting. The Whites are built like a tank and have an adjustable ground balance (through a hole). The Fisher 1212X is "Just right" (for me)

Last edited:
Ive been a bit out if touch with detecting these last years. Could someone tell me what happened to Tesoro? Ive had most of their machines, made alot of great finds with them. Does anyone do repairs on them now in case I was to pick one up again?
Thank you,
Neil
Well if memory serves me right, I will try to summarize a little history here. Jack Gifford was the founding member with his wife, Myrna; this was 1980. But before Tesoro Electronics, Jack received his Bachelors in electronics engineering. He went to work for Bounty Hunter metal detectors as an EE. That was in the early '70's.

Jack left them and his wife moved to Prescott AZ and decided to start their business. Most electronic circuitry at that time was big, bulky and heavy. And most chassis were made of metal and heavy too. Of course Tesoro was in the same boat with White's, Garrett's and Minelab, etc. Jack envision a smaller, light weight design. This in due part with new micro circuitry or surface mounted boards that were being brought into the market.

Jack's new design for a smaller package was called micro-max. Their design was lighter in weight, more ergonomic to the user and less fatigue for all day hunting. The micro-max or umax is powered by a 9-volt transistor battery. Alot of critics heads were turning in the MD field. Some these folks were saying that "This detector won't find anything... too small". "It's made for little kids". "Under powered with just a 9 volt battery". Jack proved the critics wrong! Testing here in the U.S. and abroad proved significant finds.

Fast forward. Jack passed away and the company was taken over by Myrna and his 2 sons, James and Vince. They were successful for quite a number of years. In the mid 2000's, James had some health issues and couldn't give 100 percent anymore to the company. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they shut the doors in 2007 or 2008???

Great detector by a great designer, Jack Gifford!! I've owned in the past, Sidewinder, Bandido II, Vaqureo, Eldorado and

Sorry FAT FINGER got in the way!! Like I was saying, the Eldorado and presently use the Outlaw... All micro-max design.

TC-NM

Attachments

• 20230706_073800.jpg
    20230706_073800.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 76
  • 20230706_073730.jpg
    20230706_073730.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
Here is another pic.

Attachments

• 20230706_084749.jpg
    20230706_084749.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 85
Last pic.

Attachments

• 20230706_085002.jpg
    20230706_085002.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
The Compadre has only one control and that is Discrimination. It is a silent search motion, all-metal mode. It runs at 12kHz. So you have a basic, turn-on and go machine.

If I'm not mistaking Tesoro was the first metal detector company to really downsize detector housings and I remember some people calling them Toysoro. Just to add a little background history to TC-NM post...Jack Gifford and Ray Crum formed C&G metal detectors in Phoenix Az. for a time before Jack Gifford started Tesoro. Like TC-NM stated...Tesoro's were great detectors designed by Jack Gifford mainly with Dave Johnson helping Jack by designing Tesoro's later gold prospecting detectors LST and Diablo Micromax.

I sent you a personal message with pictures.
I found my old posts on tweaking the compadre (actually information was first provided by Keith Southern), but the picture of the board and which pot is which are not there anymore ... and I don't have them on this computer. If you feel it is appropriate, could you post the pictures, if not; I'll look for the pictures when I get home in about two weeks.

I searched this computer and found that I had loaded all the pictures to this one ... Here is the Compadre circuit board with potentionmeters marked. It is for version 4 of the board. I don't know how many versions there were.

CompadreV4-1Pots.JPG

The only setting I messed with on mine is sensitivity. Adjusted to just starting to chatter with coil a couple inches off the ground. When sweeping and you get over a good target the little bit of chatter quiets and you get clear signalling on the target.

I searched this computer and found that I had loaded all the pictures to this one ... Here is the Compadre circuit board with potentionmeters marked. It is for version 4 of the board. I don't know how many versions there were.

View attachment 43394

The only setting I messed with on mine is sensitivity. Adjusted to just starting to chatter with coil a couple inches off the ground. When sweeping and you get over a good target the little bit of chatter quiets and you get clear signalling on the target.
Thanks TVR. Picketwire has me on track.

Reactions: tvr

View attachment 43394

Hi TVR, quick question for ya , on your picture of where the ground balance is on the circuit board. Would you know if this pic also applies to a Tesoro Golden microMax and Silver Sabre mircoMax. And if not do you know where I might find a pic? Thanks, Don

Hi TVR, quick question for ya , on your picture of where the ground balance is on the circuit board. Would you know if this pic also applies to a Tesoro Golden microMax and Silver Sabre mircoMax. And if not do you know where I might find a pic? Thanks, Don
I doubt it would apply to any other detector than the version 4 circuit on the Compadre. You might try Geotech forum. There is a lot over there including a lot of reverse engineering of some older detectors. I have not searched over there for any of the Tesoro circuits.

I doubt it would apply to any other detector than the version 4 circuit on the Compadre. You might try Geotech forum. There is a lot over there including a lot of reverse engineering of some older detectors. I have not searched over there for any of the Tesoro circuits.
Thanks I’ll check over on Geotech