Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Outlaw vs Vaquero

Canewrap

I recently picked up a Vaquero to hunt with and forgot that you can't hunt in an audible threshold. Was looking at a photo of the Tesoro Outlaw and it looks
like it might be possible to hunt with an audible threshold. Is this true? And, if so how does it stack up in performance to a Vaquero? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure you can hunt with a threshold while in disc. mode with the Outlaw.
You can hunt with a threshold with the Vaquero with the disc. knob turned all the way CCW until I clicks... this puts the detector in a threshold based all metal mode.
Don't know if this helps you out.
As far as performance, I have a Vaquero, but not the Outlaw so I can't make a comparison between the two.

"You can hunt with a threshold with the Vaquero with the disc. knob turned all the way CCW until I clicks... this puts the detector in a threshold based all metal mode."

I just got the Vaquero and did not know that. I will have to experiment with it and see how well that works to hunt with. Thanks!!

Pushing the pinpoint button and holding it down performs the same function, but you would have to continuously hold it while searching.
Just remember when you turn the knob all the way until clicks that the machine is now in all metal mode and has no discrimination.

Yep, I know about the no discrimination part. When you're relic hunting you really don't use discrimination unless/until you find a real trashy area that is what you're looking for. Even then, with other
Tesoro machines I've been able to tell, with some reliability, what is iron and what is not iron by the sound. Get fooled by a nail once-in-a-while, but that's just the nature of what we're doing.

Both the Vaquero and Outlaw offer a Threshold-based All Metal mode and a silent-search Discriminate mode.

Of these two models the Vaquero has less annoying features whereas the Outlaw has an ill-conceived two-position Retune button

Also, between these two and since you are a Relic Hunting enthusiast, the Vaquero features the better Discrimination range of acceptance to get more non-ferrous targets in the lower-conductivity range or accept more targets into the iron range.

Also for Better Relic Hunting Performance, the Vaquero tends to get a little better depth-of-detection than the Outlaw when using comparable search coils.

The Vaquero is definitely my favorite of the two ...

Monte

Thanks Monte, that definitely helps. I've always admired how you've offered help over the years. I've been away from relic hunting for a few years and I'm coming back into it.
Refreshing to see that there are still people willing to answer questions that I'm sure have been asked a "few" times in the past. Thanks again, my friend!