Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Sand Shark Metal Detector

waterjunkie

Hi All, I'm a NEWBIE, I have been looking around for the right metal detector for my needs and I hope you can help. I live in South Florida and most of my hunting will be in water, up to 100ft deep and sand. But, I don't want to limit it to just water. I'd like to be able to hunt on land too. I have looked and looked and looked and came across the Garrett Infinium LS. I've read all the spec's and user reviews and believe this maybe the model I'm seeking, but, since I'm new, I'm not sure if I'm getting in over my head. I have read of other peoples frustration as a first detector. I don't want something too sophisticated that I will become frustrated and feel like I bit off more than I can chew or want to undertake. If you hunt in do the same things I am looking to do, can you give me your constructive comments and/or suggestions and your experiences?

I have since come across the Tesoro Sand Shark Metal Detector and think, since I am looking for my first dectector this maybe the way to go. Any comments on either?

Thanks

Sand shark is not for ground hunting. PI machine, too sensitive for that. I use one, but only in the water.
Some of the other hunters will jump in here with suggestions for an all around machine, if such a beast
exist'. I hunt ground and water, but have machines made for each medium. Good hunting to you.

The Sand Shark is killer for salt water and wet sand, so long as you don't mind digging trash. The best feature is its incredibly light weight, allowing you to hunt all day. I used one for a year and was quite successful with it, then I "graduated" to a Minelab Excaliber 1000, because I thought I was tired of digging trash (iron) with the non discriminating Sand Shark. Due to the recent sanded in conditions on the east coast, I found myself using the Excaliber in the all metal mode to take advantage of the markedly increased depth in that mode. Works great, but the Excal is tons heavier than the Sand Shark, and if I'm gonna be using all metal, I might as well be using the Sand Shark. Sooo...I sold the Excal and bought another Sand Shark. I'm back to my roots and happy again, swinging in comfort all day long.

VBDave

And as far as hunting on the land...Look at a Tesoro Vaquero. You can buy a Sand Shark and a Vaquero for less than the price of an "all purpose" machine like an Excal, and both of your machines will weigh less than half of the Excal and come with a lifetime warrantee and the ability to change coils.

VBDave

waterjunkie,
I have got to agree with VBDave. I have a Sandshark that I use on beach and into the water. I use a Cibola and Tejon on land.
tvr

Take another look at the Garrett Infinium for the beach. It gives you a fair chance of discerning iron - the other PI's do not.

For anything away from the marine shore, get a dirt detector from any of the reputable makers.
However, VBDAVE gives some spot on comment on the cost. With the Tesoro, you get twice as much for the money. You just gotta dig all the iron.