Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Silver Saber help

IH Scout 810

I have an older Tesoro Silver Saber that was my grandpa's. I have used it sever times over the years, but the last time I tried it, it did nothing. I remember the last few times I used it, it seemed glitchy. When you hit a bump or moved it quickly it would chirp. I am hoping that it is just a bad solder joint, or maybe a bad wire in the sensor. I just have no idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated. This is the vintage.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Silver Sabre.png

Try checking the coil connector on the box to make sure it is tight.. also make sure the coil cable is not flopping around while swinging the detector.

I have the Silver Sabre Plus... pretty much the same machine... I agree with Fwcrawford... The coil cable could very well be the issue... But It might also be the coil itself... used coils for these units aren't hard to find... and replacing it would rule out the coil, cable, and plug end...
ssp.JPG

Thank you. I do suspect the coil, but did not know if a bad coil would not make it do the battery check when I turn it on. I didn't want to buy a coil if the controller is bad.

Alan

Check the wires to the battery and make sure electricity goes to and from the the switch. Make sure the ground wire is good. You can check the coil if you have a continuity meter, pin 1 to pin 3 should be continuous as is 4 to center pin. Pin 2 should not be continuous to any others. On my 6 inch coil from a Bandido II, the continuous ones show about 23 or 24 ohms. Good luck. If you can keep an old Scout running, this shouldn't be a problem! Just kidding!

Wow. Sorry that it has been so long. I finally tested the coil and think that it is bad.
Pins 1 and 3 = 21 ohms
Pins 2 and 5 = 31 ohms
Pins 1 and 5 = 51 ohms
Pins 3 and 5 = 1 ohm

Looks like 3 and 5 are shorted, because 1 to 5 goes through both coils.

So it looks like I need a new coil. This is the concentric 5 pin 7". Any good replacement could for not too much.

Thanks again
Alan

Wow. Sorry that it has been so long. I finally tested the coil and think that it is bad.
Pins 1 and 3 = 21 ohms
Pins 2 and 5 = 31 ohms
Pins 1 and 5 = 51 ohms
Pins 3 and 5 = 1 ohm

Looks like 3 and 5 are shorted, because 1 to 5 goes through both coils.

So it looks like I need a new coil. This is the concentric 5 pin 7". Any good replacement could for not too much.

Thanks again
Alan
This is from Geotech forum.
You will note in the diagram that one of the RX wires is connected to the shield by a dotted line. This indicates that this connection is made inside the coil shell.

Pins 3 and 5 should show low resistance based on the diagram so that is correct. Pin 2 shouldn't show anything unless you are testing it while connected. Pins 1 and 4 should show high resistance.
I would look for corrosion in the DIN connector and especially on the main board. Corrosion is common to detectors that had their batteries leak while in the detector.
Good luck.

Attachments

• Tesoro 5-pin.jpg
    Tesoro 5-pin.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 10
I must have read the numbers incorrectly, poor vision. I took the cover off of the din connector and one pin did not hav any wire. I thought that was 4 but it must have been 2. I was having a hard time reading those numbers.

I will pull the board out again and look under my magnifiying glass.

I have tested power from the battery to the board and though the power switch as well. Those wires seem good.

Thanks.

Alan

I just wanted to thank everyone again, and let you know that I fixed it.

It ended up that the speaker was bad. No continuity through it. Ended up stealing a speaker from an old toy walkie talkie.

Now it's time to see what I can detect.

Alan