Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Silver Sabre II

richbat

I hope Monte sees this thread but maybe someone else could answer this question for me. I recently traded off my F2 for this machine only because i do not care for screens on my machines nor do i trust them,no offense to those who like them or the F2 or any other machine for that matter.Anyhow i was doing some air tests[not really valid in real situations] and was only getting around 5 to 5 1/2" using Disc. set at between 3 and 4 and sens. set to about 8,the machine has a white concentric coil 7" not open faced or donut coil,to me this just doesn't seem right as far as depth goes.The machine is in great condition and all knobs are functional,except the sens.knob which if you leave it to the point where you turn it on it does give that tone off but when moved it works as should.Now i did notice when i had my Compadre on and the Sabre on the Sabre got alot of cross talk,most likely because of one being ED 180 and the other being ED 120 i presume.Thanks for any help or tips.Rich

richbat said:
I hope Monte sees this thread but maybe someone else could answer these questions for me.
I've been busy unpacking from a move, and trying to wiggle in a little detecting time here in Eastern Oregon. Took a break to check the Forums and noted that you're using one of my favorite "turn-on-and-go" [size=small](meaning it has a preset GB)[/size] Tesoro models.

richbat said:
I recently traded off my F2 for this machine only because i do not care for screens on my machines nor do i trust them, no offense to those who like them or the F2 or any other machine for that matter.
If that's the ONLY reason, then that's too bad. In my opinion, anyway, because I have some form of Target ID or VDI number display on all my personal detectors, and have for many, many years. However, just because it's there doesn't mean I have to use it, and most of he time, when hunting some of my favorite sites, I don't use the TID and other display info.

richbat said:
Anyhow i was doing some air tests [not really valid in real situations] and was only getting around 5 to 5 1/2" using Disc. set at between 3 and 4 and sens. set to about 8, ..
My observations and questions.:

The observation is that you ARE doing an "air test" and there's nothing wrong with that. What they do is provide us a reference of performance under ideal conditions, and while we might not always enjoy such a lucky day, we can always hope for the best, and 'the best' is what an Air Test shows can happen when everything is in our favor.

Question #1, what was the sample target, and when you waved it, was it held 'flat-to-the-coil?'

Question #2 is, why was the Discrimination set up at the '3' to '4' position? What are you trying to reject? The Silver Sabre II has an excellent Discrimination range and handles iron nails and similar ferrous trash quite well, and that's with the Discrimination set a the minimum setting. A higher adjustment, to '3' or '4,' is also going to knock out some decent and desired lower-conductive targets, such as gold chains and small, thin gold rings.

Question #3 is, why a Sensitivity setting of about '8' especially when you're trying to check out the detection depth of a sample target? You would want to have the highest Sensitivity setting possible in order to achieve the best detection depth.

richbat said:
the machine has a white concentric coil 7" not open faced or donut coil,
The solid 7" Concentric coil was, and is, my favorite all-purpose search coil for the Tesoro units I favor. Nice selection.

richbat said:
to me this just doesn't seem right as far as depth goes.
Well, I don't know the target used or the position relative to the search coil, but additional challenges seem to be using too much Discrimination, a slightly too low Sensitivity, and remember, you're also using a 7" coil instead of the stock 8". I'd suggest setting the Disc. to the minimum setting, which is still above iron nail rejection, then running the Sensitivity as high as possible w/o chatter, then sweep the coil over a coin-type target that is in a 'flat' position to the coil and you'll get an extra 1" or possibly more.

richbat said:
The machine is in great condition and all knobs are functional, except the sens. knob which if you leave it to the point where you turn it on it does give that tone off but when moved it works as should.
Turning the detector 'On', regardless of the setting, will activate the automatic Battery Test. Then, just run it a high as you can tolerate and hunt away.

richbat said:
Now i did notice when i had my Compadre on and the Sabre on the Sabre got a lot of cross talk, most likely because of one being ED 180 and the other being ED 120 i presume.
No, not necessarily the Discriminate range, but more the other electronics in the circuitry. They are operating at close or similar frequencies, and there can be subtle differences between one Tesoro and another simply due to the search coil used or other factors are they use a PLL or LCO type circuitry design. At times two models can be close and have no noticeable interference, or maybe only one of them, and sometimes both can display a spastic-like behavior.

You will usually hear the static and audio warble in the Threshold-based All Metal mode easier than the Disc. mode, but the main thing is they are close-frequency detectors and the potential is there for EMI.

If you do more testing and have any specific questions, I would welcome an e-mail so I can help you out separate from a Forum post.

Monte