Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Tiger Shark Tips

I recently purchased a Tiger Shark and I am in the process of learning how to use it. I have owned a Cibola for the last few years and it has done very well for me where I live. I live on a river and got the Shark so I can do some water hunting this summer. I was hoping someone with more experience with the Tiger Shark could give me some tips.

I am most interested in the threshold and sensitivity settings. I think I need to lower the sensitivity as it chatters a little. I have found a few things with it already, but wanted to set it up to get the maximum depth possible. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for using it they would like to share.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hello panther

I've had a Tiger Shark for 9 years, and I set the internal controls (volume, threshold, sensitivity) way back then and forgot it. I set threshold to a barely audible hum (all-metal mode) . then the sensitivity (disc. mode) to where it barely chatters then back it off a little bit. Also set volume (disc mode) to your comfortable level of hearing when a coin is passed a couple of inches away from the coil and is not too loud. Then close up the control box, all basic manual stuff. You did not say if your purchase was new or used, so these setting could be "off" if the unit is used. Then go outside and find a clean piece of ground with no metal in the ground or vicinity around you, set mode to (all-metal fast) mode. Still using all-metal fast, lower and raise the coil from 8 inches above ground to 1 inch above ground listening to the Threshold hum, if the hum gets quiet when coil is getting close to ground, ground balance is too negative, turn ground balance knob clockwise some. If threshold gets louder when coil is getting closer to ground, ground balance is too positive, turn ground balance knob counter-clockwise some. You are wanting to get to a setting of ground balance, where the threshold hum is a steady hum when raising and lowering the coil toward the ground. Sounds complicated, but when you get used to it, it will become second nature. PS........don't forget to lightly lube the "O" ring with supplied silicone grease before the final closing of control box, thats all there is to it. Good luck.

Randy

Thanks.

This is actually a new machine. I bought it from someone who once sold detectors and kept this one with the intention of using it, but never did. Ad far as I know these are still out of production.

Do you normally hunt in discriminate mode? I have read of people using it in fast metal mode and switching to disc. to test the signal. I was thinking it would be better to just hunt in Disc.

Have you ever tried to super tune yours like can be done with a Cibola? I guess with the adjustments being inside the box it is best just to set it up like you were saying where the chatter barely goes away and keep it at that setting.

Hi

I hunt in Disc. mode only, by swinging coil slowly and X'ing signal you will find target center. Once you have target center,stop your coil then put your toe behind coil, move coil away, put your sand scoop in front your toe, step back and dig. All I ever use all-metal fast for is to ground balance detector. Hope this helps. Ps: I never super-tune it as goosing the threshold will not be good for ground balancing detector. Leave the super-tuning for land hunting machines.

Randy

Thanks so much for your help. I can't wait for some warm weather so I can get out there.

One more question though - How much depth do you find you can get in the water with the shark?

In the two lakes that I hunt in there is a layer of hard clay mixed with rocks, and on top of that is 4 to 6 inches of sand. In the shallow wading up to waist deep I will go after the deep signals and have gotton down to maybe 8 inches in depth on rings. I have dug trash (pultabs) much deeper though. At another lake it took about five scoops to get to an old antique gold wedding ring, as far as how deep it was I could not tell you exactly but the crater I dug would swallow a childs foot and cause injury............So fill those holes.

Randy

Do what hombre says. Its good advice.

I set my THRESH a little high, just a little, noticeable touch. This sharpens up the response. It doesnt really kill the all metal mode, and since I rarely use the all metal mode, its cool. The T/S circuit is really just Bandido, so a little hypertuning wont hurt.
I set the SENS just a touch into the "chatter zone." The jittery noise which results doesn't bother me; in fact it's comforting.
I turn the VOL to near max.

Beyond that, I GB a bit positive and set the DISC between 2 and 3.

Most items in commonly used FRESHWATER beaches are not really deep and pretty much stay where they settle. Major depth isnt a huge issue.

If you plan to hunt salt water, better get another detector.

don't forget the lifetime warranty and their ability to detect the small stuff. Small chains will not be missed by them. I have spent time chasing a signal and just couldn't find it. Finally, I just carried all the muck to the shoreline and dumped it. Found a miserable BB in there. Don't have to worry that the small gold ring for a child will be missed.
The second time I used mine I found a 25" gold chain. You will need a good scoop and some kind of waders before your done...unless you are one of the lucky folks where there's warm water to hunt.

It is getting nice here. Got out this past weekend though the water is still a bit cool, but the air is in the upper 80s. Found some coins. Still trying to learn this thing better.

Do you guys ground balance in the water or at the water's edge?

I ground balance in the water, but only thru trial and error did I learn all about the Tiger Shark. This was before I knew there was internet detecting forums. My how things have changed! I still can't type worth a darn, can't post pictures of my finds, etc.etc. I know how detectors opperate but not computers!

Randy

Thanks Randy. I tried ground balancing in the water but it kept being negative. I went to the edge and could set it there. I wasn't in saltwater. This is a tidal river where I have waded using my Cibola with good results.

I will do some more practicing with the in the water ground balancing an dhopefully I can get it right.

You can learn how to ground balance it anywhere. Practice in your backyard and then walk to your neighbor's and balance it there. You just might feel more free to experiment with the balancing when you are just playing rather than when setting out for a serious water hunt. It takes doing it a few times but then it'll be second nature. What's scary is when you go to a new and different place and the previous setting is way off and you think you forgot how to do it. Sort of like flying a plane on instruments. You gotta do what the machine is telling you and believe it. HH Jim

Some days I would sell mine in a heartbeat.

Right now I am determined to keep it.

Good luck finding one. I found mine searching the classifieds on various metal detecting forums. I recommend you start a thread in every classified section of every metal detecting forum you can find saying you are looking for one. That is how I found mine.

Here's my 2 cents. I wouldn't hip mount the TigerShark at this point. Make sure the connectors don't move around alot or get any stress on them. If it is too heavy in the water buy a harness.
Otherwise I don;t need a pin pointer with this machine. I would rather use it than my Golden UMax except it is heavy,
Have fun.
Cindy

As far as coils go for the Tiger Shark. Are there still only Concentric coils available, or can either a stock or aftermarket DD('s) be had for it??

Also since it has Bandito circuitry, can the Bandito(uMax) coils be made to work on it? Thank you!

A DD coil would really help the Tiger on the salt beaches. I had one for awile. Untill all the Explorer guys that hunt the same beach started to salt the water/sand with pennys. I watched them doing it while hunting.

CIMG0639.jpg

Here is what I have learned about the Tiger Shark so far.

Very sensitive machine. I had to turn the sensitivity down so it would not chatter. It still chatters a little, but it is not annoying like it was.

I am still getting used to the sounds. The only other dectector I have owned is my Cibola (Which I love). I run it at full threshold and sensitivity almost all the time. At this setting you either get a good strong signal (for the most part) or nothing. I am getting used to the Tiger Shark as it gives a good strong signal on shallow targets and gives a more subtle, quiet signal on deeper targets. I feel I have to really pay attention and listen for those light steady repeatable signals.

I have gotten good at ground balancing it (not that it is really hard) and feel confident I get it where it needs to be. The heavier weight is great for working in the water. I mount the box under the arm rest and find this to be the most comfortable and better balanced position for it.

I have used it in the shallow water where I used to use my Cibola and have already found some nice things. I am still gaining more confidence in it and I do still check behind it with my Cibola.

I do have a few things I wish were different about it. The first thing is I would love to have a sensitivity adjustment on the outside of the box. The river I hunt gets areas eroded at times where some better finds tend to be. The only problem is there is also a lot more iron trash. I can help this by turning up the discrimination, but I have always found when using the Cibola that decreasing the sensitivity helps more. I also wish there was a volume adjustment on the earphones. Nothing is perfect though, I guess.

Still a little cool here to be getting completely in the water, but once it does I plan to really get out and give the Shark a workout.