Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Vaquero Question

metalfun

Hopefully can get out again Monday for my second time out with the Vaq.Any pointers on how to guess target size before digging? Just wondering.Cant wait to get back out.(weather permitting) Thanks Guys HH

Ferrous and non-ferrous pinpoint differently, in the all- metal mode ferrous will begin to sound off well before the coil is over the target - even for coin sized objects. Big iron will start to sound off a long ways before the edge of the coil is even close to being over the target.
Non-ferrous pinpoints quite differently, generally most non-ferrous targets (in the AM mode) will not sound off until the coil is completely over them, which is why over lapping your coil swings is so important. Non-ferrous pinpoints tight, unless of course you have a buried pop can, which will sound off before the coil is over it. But it is different than ferrous, ferrous starts off low and smooth and increases to a scream. Non-ferrous doesn't give much warning, the threshold rises almost instantly.
The only exeption to this is silver. Silver, in AM will sound off just as the edge of the coil starts to go over it or just slightly before for a silver quarter or if the ground is wet a dime might sound off a little earlier too.
It is a new ball game if you suspect the target is beyond 6" deep for coin-sized targets. Between this technique and using the disc mode, in time It becomes 2nd nature to know almost exactly what is under that coil before it is dug.

Thanks Thump I will try this tommorow weather permitting.I read all of your post on the Vaq.Took me awhile but great info.Thanks again.HH

thump7 said:
Ferrous and non-ferrous pinpoint differently, in the all- metal mode ferrous will begin to sound off well before the coil is over the target - even for coin sized objects. Big iron will start to sound off a long ways before the edge of the coil is even close to being over the target.
Non-ferrous pinpoints quite differently, generally most non-ferrous targets (in the AM mode) will not sound off until the coil is completely over them, which is why over lapping your coil swings is so important. Non-ferrous pinpoints tight, unless of course you have a buried pop can, which will sound off before the coil is over it. But it is different than ferrous, ferrous starts off low and smooth and increases to a scream. Non-ferrous doesn't give much warning, the threshold rises almost instantly.
The only exeption to this is silver. Silver, in AM will sound off just as the edge of the coil starts to go over it or just slightly before for a silver quarter or if the ground is wet a dime might sound off a little earlier too.
It is a new ball game if you suspect the target is beyond 6" deep for coin-sized targets. Between this technique and using the disc mode, in time It becomes 2nd nature to know almost exactly what is under that coil before it is dug.

I tried your pinpointing technique today and it is just like you say