Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro Vaquero waterproofing

Hello everyone, I found an old beach site that is littered with bobby pins, hair pins, nails etc. I have found a few good finds but I know there are several other targets I have missed. I have hit it with an Excal and a CTX 3030 with 6" coil. I know from land hunting my Vaquero has a much faster recovery speed but it is not water proof. Has anyone water proofed one? if so, do you have a mold or know of something I can encase mine in? I am looking to scuba dive with it down to depths around 25'

I appreciate your responses or suggestions...

UWMM

Waterproofed many units. Id recomend calling whites and asking if they could help you out with a dual field control box with rubber seal and side clamps. They helped me out on a few occasions. for this type application.

that's interesting they would do that, nice case too !! can buy those lunch box water proof cases elsewhere I am sure if you look around.

AJ

Good luck with those lunch box cases I've had to many mishaps with those little pelican boxes. Ike lite sells some really good camera cases for diving as well.

AJ,

I would use this for freshwater applications, I don't think the Vaquero would work well in salt but I could be wrong. I base this on the single frequency machines performance we all know and love!

UWMM

synthnut said:
Check out the Plano tackle boxes ....

I'm curious; are the Plano any more waterproof than the Pelicans?

I'd be tempted to try one of these Waterproof Pelican with the coil & waterproof headphones hard-wired. Mount it to your poles with some Velcro.. Pretty sure all the Vaquero's guts will fit inside, but they have a bigger one, if not. A little diver's grease on the O-ring, and you should be OK to 20' or so.

Then again, you could just buy a used Tiger Shark and go down lots deeper.. Not as light as a Vaquero, but they're made for freshwater diving and have excellent discrimination. Sell the Vaquero, and you'd have at least 2/3 the cost of a used Tiger.

Probably better off with a tigershark. The plano/pelican boxes are fine for shallow work but beyond 15' is a whole other story. Lots more pressure

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check in to the boxes suggested here. I do have an older version of the Tiger Shark and am fortunate to own a Stingray II but I really like my Vaquero and think it would be awesome in the water especially if I can get a widescan coil to work. I spoke to Rusty at Tesoro and he says the widescan coil wouldn't work any deeper than a few feet. I am heart broken. I told Rusty if they waterproof a Vaquero with the widescan I would buy one.

Thank you all for your input, I welcome others as well.

UWMM