Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro vaquero, Which coil a 5 3/4" concentric or widescan

Tajue17

I want to get a smaller coil for the vaquero, not sure which one though I'm sure this has been asked a lot but I haven't posted in so long I wanted to ask.. I primarily like to relic/coin hunt in the woods, just randomly gong through the woods but I especially like to get up tight next to stone walls and any structures that look interesting. even if you think there is a better coil than the two Tesoro coils I mentioned what would be the best coil for this in your opinion if you could only get one,,,,,,,,or should I stick with the stock 9x8 and just get a better pointer or digging tool...

For what it's worth I don't usually hunt for relics but in public parks and a few sites with a lot of iron.
I went for the small concentric because of the sharp disc abilities and never looked back.
In sites with tons of pop tops where hunting with DD's can be frustrating a concentric on a Tesoro is a dream...most types of this hated form of garbage discs right out.
In a site with so much iron you would not believe the concentric picked out a few non ferrous targets I just couldn't with the standard concentric the big DD.
Don't know if the small DD could have worked better but in my trashy public parks the small concentric makes hunting for me a pleasure...not a hassle.
In good soil the depth with the small concentric seems really decent, in bad soil I can get as deep as any other big or small, DD or not.
Hits hard and has a great response on better targets, pretty darn good at giving me good indicators and audio clues over trash while thumbing the disc knob which for me is great because I quit being a dig-it-all- hunter a long time ago.

My coil found me a gold ring in a huge area on one of my first hunts with it so also lucky for me.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FhPT55m2TOM

Many really like the small DD, the longer, thin scanning field can snake through trash pretty well and is wider down deep but for my purposes and type of sites the concentric's disc abilities and sweet response make hunting, noticing and figuring out targets faster and more efficient.

I have had my Vaq since 2010 and at first only had the standard coil, since I got the big DD and then a few years later the small concentric the standard concentric has never been remounted.
Since I mounted the sniper and now hunt in mineralized soil but also sites and soil loaded with extra helpings of crazy amounts of iron it rarely comes off.

The standard coil on a Vaq is great but a big DD on this thing turns it into another different tool and put on a sniper...any sniper, another great tool emerges that might amaze you.

Definitely get another small coil no matter which kind you choose, I have been a big fan of these on any detector...all my detectors since I started using them.
In many iron and heavy trash situations their ease of use and abilities will make you wonder why you waited so long.
If you said I had to get rid of all my coils except one on any detector I own when all was said and done more often than not the snipers would be the ones that I would keep.

sad as this may seem I think Tesoro make the best mono coils for their own detectors. hard to go past their concentric coils.

AJ

I was leaning to concentric also, but were I'm mostly going to be targeting structures (mainly stone walls and foundations) I wasn't too worried about alot of iron or trash. but then again where the vaquero already came with a concentric maybe I wanted a DD for more versatility..

thanks for the opinions and posts, T

5 3/4 Concentric you can tell pull tabs and pop tops. But my 5 3/4 Widescan I cannot really tell as much. It is for pure relic hunting or gold prospecting for tiny nuggets. super sensitive

Get the concentric. I have both and while the little 5.75" DD is also a good little coil, it's only advantages over the concentric are that the DD covers a little greater area per sweep, and that mineralized ground seems a little "smoother", requiring less frequent GB adjustment. The discrimination and dead center pinpointing are perfect with the concentric, so that's what stays on my Tesoros 90% of the time.

I bought a vaq this summer that had the 11x8 coil on it and I thought it was great and then I bought the 5.75 concentric coil and never took it off the rest of the year. I found a kennedy half by a stream in a local park that was an honest 11 to 12" deep. I couldn't believe that small a coil could go that deep. the soil was kind of sandy near the stream so maybe that had something to do with it. I used that same coil at our familys farm and found 3 silver dimes 8 wheats and three Indians the oldest was 1865 the first time I used it there. some where as deep as 7". I don't think you can go wrong getting the small concentric. never tried the small dd though.

I'm a fan of the 5.75 concentric as well. Great small coil.
BB

Have just ordered a 5.75'' Concentric for my Trident11 Extreme which is the UK version of the Vaquero but its on steroids,as i had a 5'' DD on the T2 could not see the logic in duplicating a similar size coil,so choose the Concentric for the Vaquero.Should be a nice combination on some of my roman/saxon sites that i have access too.

Hope the new coil will arrive before the weekend as the weather is looking decent for a change,alas no New Years sales in the detecting game,but shopped around and found a decent acceptable deal including free postage.

As well as ordering a 5.75'' Concentric also just bought a NEL Snake coil 6.5''x3.5'' of course a DD coil,but also i hunt alot on a large area of Limestone and the advantage of a small DD coil on trashy roman sites on the Limestone could work out well.

I think you'll like that 5.75".
I've been wondering about that NEL (and the Cors Shrew)... Please let us know how you like your new coils!

The NEL Snake arrived this morning,cannot take it out for a spin as its pouring down with rain,have tested it on some small targets and must admit i do like it,possibly could stay on the Vaquero all the time as a dedicated trashy site machine,must admit i dont regret getting it,build quality like most NEL coils is superb apart from the horrible el-cheapo labels on them,that was the 1st thing i always do is rip them off,they look much better with them off anyway.

Over the coming weeks when i get out i will do some further testing,but its a keeper for sure.

The NEL Snake that arrived yesterday is a keeper and it 'will' be staying on the machine all the time,i have had this UK version of the Vaquero for 12 months it came with the 11x8 coil on but was only used twice,but since the NEL coil has been on it just a really nice combination,its not my everyday machine for sure,but for trashy sites and the like especially roman sites then this could well be a deadly combination.

The pinpointing is very good,one thing i did notice and its not a issue is for such a small coil its reasonably heavy i guess due too the build quality as the base is filled with resin so one can run without a coil cover on,its smaller than my NEL Sharpshooter but possibly the same weight,it balances on the shaft just nicely and gives good depth for the 6.5''x3.5'' size.

It certainly get a thumbs up from me from the initially testing,of course what works well on one location may not work on someone elses location,mine is open farmland and pasture,but for the most part i would use a much larger than stock coil for the depth,but some sites that have had alot of habitation and occupation on over the 1000s of years can also have alot of trash in the location as well,hence a small coil being used.

I use a Tesoro Cutlass II µMax and tried the 5.75 and found it to small, but the older Tesoro 7" fits the bill perfectly. It is my main coil, I also have the standard 8" and the Troy Super 9" and I am a firm believer in the concentric coils. The 7" can get up close and tight as the 5.75 IMHO

If you can find one, get a Troy's shadow super 7.
It's as thin as the modern 5.75 but 7" wide. Best of both worlds.
(It's the coil most known for coming on the Tesoro made Troy x2)
Mine has a home on my Deleon but I also run it on my other 5 pin machines.

I have 3 Tesoro models in my arsenal, and other than their standard coil [size=small](toted as an 'accessory' coil)[/size] I like the 6" Concentric on each of them. Great coil for working in and around metal structures, trash, dense brush, and close to 'stuff,' such as dirt and rock walls, etc.

Monte

Did tesoro ever make a 6", or are you referring to the 5.75?

fltacoma said:
Did tesoro ever make a 6", or are you referring to the 5.75?

Monte means the 5.75, which actually measures about 6". Not sure why Tesoro didn't call it a 6.