Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro's single tone

BarberBill

Recently, I made a short park hunt with a new to me Vaquero that has the high tone mod. Even though I'm just getting to know this machine, I've got a lot of hours in with Tesoros. I quickly noticed the tone difference when over a coin compared to the typical foil and junk. The discussion of the variations in Tesoro's single tone comes up fairly often and I, like many newbies, couldn't tell the difference until I had quite a few hours of detecting under my belt. While I can't think of a way to describe what is often called a "round" sound, once you get to know it, that description works. For those that are struggling with this concept, I'm here to tell you it really does work. After you have enough hours on your detector, one day you'll realize that you too can now hear what many have tried to describe in words.
BB

I agree. I think by using and learning the Vaquero I could use a digital display unit better now. The tesoro has made me a much better detectorist.

Sounds are like smells to a degree, if enough time is spent with a Tesoro, one will learn the difference between rib eye and liver.
The best way I can describe the round sound on my Eldorado is a crisp "bip" in all directions and completely repeatable. Things other than coins seem to stretch the bip out longer and it might lose some of the crispness of the beginning or end of the tone.

I would describe coin sounds as mellow and smooth warm and rounded and a rough sharp sound for trash. The repeatable signal is a good indicator of a good target. Coins on edge give a unique signal and Xing the target will show a different signal on the target but it will still have a coin sound. Here in Canada the 1 dollar coin gives a unique signal tone that will max out the discrimination at a 4 inch depth and I can call the dollars very accurately before I dig. The Canadian 2 dollar coin has a its own sound and is a powerful signal that will make you think that you have a crushed aluminum can under the coil but as your ears get trained you will know to dig these signals.
I am in my sixth season with the Vaquero and it does have a tone language. I have never felt this confident about this detectors sounds before and in typing this I realized that I have switched headphones.
I switched last fall to the 5x10 DD wide scan elliptical for the Vaquero and it has been awesome and this spring have started using Realistic Nova Pro headphones instead of the killer "B"s.
For my ears the vintage 1970s Realistic Nova Pro's by Radio Shack are a far better sound. Looking at the box it describes the nova pro as " super wide range vinyl drivers" . I would describe the killer B's as flat and the Nova pro as a full sound. Color vs black and white.
My accuracy in calling my targets is way up and also my finds since changing my headphones.
When talking Vaquero tones we must consider the headphone as a factor and this might explain the wide range of opinion on this subject. Like any personal item one size does not fit all so try some different headphones and see what works best for your ears it might be easier than doing the high tone mod.

Minas man

There's quite an array of signals possible. The "skip" and the "cutoff" signals can seem similar until the sweep speed is slowed down and then the skip becomes "jumpy" and the cutoff-usually iron- stays the same. Freshly dropped coins that haven't acclimated to the soil give the skip signal-as well as coins in the newly wetted areas and a slow sweep back over them causes the familiar "coin" signal. The "round", soft sound on silver is unmistakable and it used to be that some would avoid all signals and listen for these soft, round signals in likely places. In some areas, I can pop out the target just a few seconds longer than some ID the target.

I read on another forum the comment that "Tesoro's don't give the user any feedback". I almost busted a gut laughing at that comment. It couldn't be farther from the truth.

dan b said:
I read on another forum the comment that "Tesoro's don't give the user any feedback". I almost busted a gut laughing at that comment. It couldn't be farther from the truth.

I agree with the commentary that says the user IS able to discern the difference in tones. I am no electronics genius, but multiple tone machines are still based upon probability (EG: tin can lid or 1/2 dollar???). It has to be the same electronics that sends the information to a screen. With that said, I would still like the option in having tones. That way I can day dream while searching OR if I'm traveling, I can hit a site by cherry picking. Come to think of it, I could just discriminate the crap out when I'm cherry picking. Okay. Single tone & day dreaming. That'll work!

TAB.HUNTER said:
dan b said:

I agree with the commentary that says the user IS able to discern the difference in tones. I am no electronics genius, but multiple tone machines are still based upon probability (EG: tin can lid or 1/2 dollar???). It has to be the same electronics that sends the information to a screen. With that said, I would still like the option in having tones. That way I can day dream while searching OR if I'm traveling, I can hit a site by cherry picking. Come to think of it, I could just discriminate the crap out when I'm cherry picking. Okay. Single tone & day dreaming. That'll work!
I have both. It's all about location and the time you have to spend. And whenever I come to tab city, I can really clean up because others don't like these sites and I know how to use notch and ID.

I have theGolden uMax with the tones and while it is nice to cherry pick by only digging the high tone, I've noticed that at 4 or 5 inches, silver dimes drop down in tones, and at the same depth or perhaps a little deeper, aluminum goes up in tone to the higher tone. So even with tones, there is no guarantee on what you are hearing until you dig.

hihosilver said:
I have theGolden uMax with the tones and while it is nice to cherry pick by only digging the high tone, I've noticed that at 4 or 5 inches, silver dimes drop down in tones, and at the same depth or perhaps a little deeper, aluminum goes up in tone to the higher tone. So even with tones, there is no guarantee on what you are hearing until you dig.

And some machines will ID at twice the depth you've mentioned, correctly. You are correct in that there are no guarantees but you can increase your probability with some machines over others. Machines are getting better.
Its gonna be interesting to see whether the new upcoming Tesoros will have tone ID or a meter or both and how accurate those are compared to their existing machines like the Deleon/Cortes and the Golden. Ive never used a Tesoro with tones like the Golden but had a Deleon and know what it was capable of, in my area.

Neil said:
hihosilver said:

And some machines will ID at twice the depth you've mentioned, correctly. You are correct in that there are no guarantees but you can increase your probability with some machines over others. Machines are getting better.
Its gonna be interesting to see whether the new upcoming Tesoros will have tone ID or a meter or both and how accurate those are compared to their existing machines like the Deleon/Cortes and the Golden. Ive never used a Tesoro with tones like the Golden but had a Deleon and know what it was capable of, in my area.
Well stated Neil!