Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Test garden problems/question

Hey, everybody,

In 2009 I planted a Merc dime in my back yard about 4 to 4 1/2 inches down in typical (for western Oregon) backyard grass/soil. I know it's still there because I can locate it with the pinpoint mode of the V3i.

I used to be able to find this coin consistently with my XLT, however, since I switched to the V3i, I have had problems.

After spending an hour out there today, I could not find a program or a group of settings that would consistently and positively identify that dime in the search mode. I have a flat yard, so I would back up 8 to 10 feet, close my eyes, and begin to sweep and move slowly in the direction of the dime, and time after time, I passed right over it without finding it. Every once in a while, I would get a feeble little beep and when I went to pinpoint it, the detector gave lots of "iffy" readings. Only when I intentionally directed the detector over what I knew to be the exact location of the dime did it show a positive "green" reading and correctly give the depth. Clearly, in the field, I don't have the advantage of knowing exactly where the targets are, so that technique won't be very helpful.

You might guess that I am more than a little frustrated. I would suppose that, presuming everything is set correctly (I was using the factory-set C and J program) that dime would show up loud and clear on at least the majority of passes, but it was far from that.

I switched over to a custom program that someone posted on this site awhile back (called "Magic") and had more luck, but still not at the level I would expect from a detector as good as this one.

I've been detecting for seven years and I know that my technique is ok. I walk and swing slowly and evenly, so I don't think that I am the problem.

My frustration level grew even more when I went after an Indian cent I planted at 7 inches in 2010 and could not locate it at all, even knowing where it was planted.

I am totally open to suggestions. What I believe I should be able to expect is that the silver dime at 4 inches should ring "loud and clear" just about every single time I swing over it with a V3i and a 10 inch DD coil using the pre-set C and J program, and that the Indian cent at 7 inches should at least be located every now and then, if not consistently. If I have unrealistic expectations, I guess that would be nice to know as well.

I'd sure appreciate it if you could either set me straight about my expectations or perhaps offer some advice about how to get my detector working to my expectations.

Thanks,

Mike

that v3i should hit the coins easy.

would be nice if you could test with another coil.

might want to try a couple air tests on a a qaurter and penny at stock settings and post it here.

Iam no expert but did you try using a differant filter,i use mostly bog standard HI-PRO but change filter settings and recovery delay.stereo mixed-mode,i don't altar a lot of settings it can make theV3I worse.:surprised:

Trying a concentric coil like the 5.3 might tell you something. Yazoo

If the XLT will see it so will the V3i. Run the stock Hi Pro which was written by Bob (rcsnake). He hunts the Oregon soil.

Everyone,

Thanks for responding. I don't think I should have to start changing programs and settings in order to find a silver dime at 4 inches. That's the least an expensive detector ought to be able to do with a stock C and J program.

I'm going to try a couple of different coils Monday morning and see if there's any difference. Fortunately Sweet Home is an easy hour away, and everyone there is extremely helpful and friendly, so I will take the whole kit up there and see if they can find anything wrong.

I will post the results Monday afternoon.

Thanks again,

Mike

First of all, let me say I got the same fantastic customer service from White's as always, even though it was Mary's birthday (Happy Birthday Mary!) and she was out from her reception post. I hope she had a great day!

However, the rest of the crew was right there ready, willing, and able to help out.

The joint was jumping as I arrived around 9:45 at the customer service center/museum (worth seeing if you ever get to Sweet Home). There were phone calls from folks who had developed questions or problems over the weekend, there were customers buying detectors, and there were those of us who walked in with detector issues. Two ladies covered the reception position and did a fantastic job juggling the phone calls and handling the roomful of customers.

Once my detector left the room, I had a pleasant chat with a young man from Portland who had brought his V3i in, and we traded a few stories about our detecting experiences. Then I sat in the waiting area and looked over some of their detecting magazines. After a while, a helpful technician (sorry, I didn't catch his name) came out with my detector and a most interesting story:

It seems that the coil passed the bench test, but then, when they put it back onto the detector box, it failed. This caused some consternation among the crew because, you see, every coil they send out is bench-tested, but they are not attached to detectors for additional testing before being shipped. A couple of the technicians were heard wondering what had happened with my coil that would cause it to pass the bench test but fail the detector test, and I could tell a re-thinking of quality control was going to take place once they got their hands on my coil, which they happily replaced with a new one.

However, the air-test was still not quite right, so back the detector went for re-calibration. It got new circuitry and software to the point that I was told nothing was original anymore except the housing. (This for a detector that I bought when they first came out---well out of warranty.)

Then Roger came out to help me with some ground balancing issues, just to make sure everything was working well, and it seemed to be, but even then, he told me to take it home, try it in my test garden, and if I was unhappy with it, to return the next day and he would see what else might be done.

I got it home and it hit nice and hard on my 4 inch Merc dime, so that's already a big improvement. However, my 7 inch Indian cent remained unfound....but my wife has been doing some digging near there and maybe she got it. Since I don't know for sure, I guess I can't blame anyone for that.

I think it's good enough to take out into the field.

My thanks to the ladies behind the counter and to the two techs who helped me. I was there for about 3 hours and yet again have nothing but positives to share about the incredible quality of White's customer service.

If I get out again soon I will report as to how things went.

Thanks again to those here who offered thoughts, ideas, and support.

Mike

First time out I visited an older home near the campus of the University of Oregon, and after getting permission to detect there, it seems everything went fine. Plenty of coins (at homes near campus, at least every other hit is a bottle cap!) but sorry to say nothing old. Lots of copper cents but the dimes and quarters were clad.

The detector worked fine and found targets that were down to 7 inches deep (that one was a 1962 cent) so I guess at least for now I'm happy with the results of my trip to Sweet Home.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to offer ideas and thanks to Whites for the outstanding service!

Mike