Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tested another detector

Rainyday101

I had the chance to test a Whites M6 the other day. At least air test with a very experienced user and dealer of them. I was kinda of disappointed in the air test result on coins. My Silver uMax can match it or slightly beat it on all coins in an air test. The one thing I can say that was impressive on it though was it's rock steady and accurate VDI readings. When it was air tested the automatic ground balance was turned off so that it was not trying to track the air. It is heavier and well built, but for the weight it is extremely well balanced.

I know you are wondering what in the heck I am doing talking about a M6 on the Tesoro forum. Well it came done to this- for the large difference in price I didn't feel it had any major advantages over my Silver other than that rock steady VDI. From air test results I think the Silver could run with it depth wise any day of the week. I know the M6 is a great detector, but for the price difference the Silver uMax rocks!

How often do you hunt in air?

You really should get behind the wheel of any detector for a bunch of hunts in different locations to be making judgements on it. Ive never used or seen an M6 up close but it might be a good detector.

I have an M6 and like you said it has a very accurate ID and for the weight it is extremely well balanced . That auto ground balance and quick recovery is awesome too . I've never found anything really deep with it although many others claim it is super deep . I picked up mine for $390.00 several years ago it was like new and had over a years worth of warranty left . It's a keeper like my Vaquero and my Explorer 2 . I don't plan on purchasing any more detectors as the ones I have now are well made , dependable and fit my styles of hunting . I had been thinking about an MX5 but from what I'm seeing there's a few things about it I'm not too keen on . I was thinking about the Cazador if it turned out to have some of the features I wanted at a good price but the longer the time of its release goes on the more I am thinking I have bought and tried enough detectors in my 21yrs. of detecting .

Neil, you will never get deeper in the ground than you will in air. It is simple physics. Also if you reread what I posted, I didn't really pass judgement. I pointed out what I thought were it's strong points also.

Dirt Doctor, I have read a lot of good things about the M6 and it has a lot of positives. For the price difference though (new) I just think the old Silver uMax can hold it's own. at least in mild soil.

Rainy, I get better depth in ground than air testing all day long. Not sure why, but I do..

Rainy that simple physics statement isn't true at all. And every detector with ID Ive ever used gave good solid lock on readings in the air. In the air that's all the detector is seeing, no ground or other targets. That's why air tests are good for very little.
Any chance your in NJ or near enough that you get to the Jersey shore? If so I can hook up with you, bring along a few detectors, do some airtests and show you how a couple of my detectors will air test about 8" or so but get 12" in the ground. Seeing is believing wouldn't you say?
I can also take you to some abandoned railroad tracks that have years of coal and cinder deposits that absolutely kill most detectors depths to about 3" on a quarter.
So my offer is there if your interested.

Idxpro said:
Rainy, I get better depth in ground than air testing all day long. Not sure why, but I do..
The halo efect has a lot to do with your depth in the soil... KEN , IND

I have used an M6 and Silver side by side. My girl has the M6 and she does not go out enough to get used to the sounds and settings, so I brought the Silver along to show her at a park. The silver kept up, was more simple and light. There was nothing the M6 could do that the silver could not. She is now selling the M6 and will use my silver when she goes out.

This is not to say the M6 is not good, it is! The ID and different sounds can be a very big plus, especially for a coin and jewlery hunter. But the silver is just as capable without a few bells and whistles, not to mention price and warranty.

Rainy I recently acquired a M6 and have had a uMax and at least with mine the M6 was easily 2" deeper in air tests, not to say it would be that in the ground though mine does seem like it will be a deep machine. I got the machine for a reasonable price and mostly wanted it for the ground tracking and the salt mode for beach use. That is what I am hoping for in the new Tesoro is some sort of ground tracking in disc mode. One can only hope.:beers:

Neil, I don't doubt you and would love to go detecting out your way, but I am nowhere near you. Thing is this, air is a great medium to transmit a VLF signal through, ground is not. Ground has more signal loss. So, in theory, and I stress in theory, you should only be able to get a percentage of your max air distance in ground just because the ground is not as good as a medium as the air. I know some disagree with that and that's fine. I did find an article once by Fisher guru Dave Johnson and even he agrees to this statement. This is why I use an air test as a general guide to a detectors depth ability. Now if this were a 100% true M6 users would not find a dime past 7", but that sure doesn't seem to be the case.

Now again I am not knocking the M6, I know it is a fine detector and users tell me that the VDI is stable even in the ground and at depth. My thought was pretty much what John MA said though, for the dollar difference the Silver is almost as good and simpler to use. As noted it does not have the multi-tones of the M6 though. So if the Silver is so dam good (and it is) what the heck am I doing looking at the M6? The M6 interest me though because of the ability to hunt in all metal and use tones. It was just that when I looked at the price, I didn't think it had enough advantage to justify spending the extra cash. My Silver will still get the job done.

Rainyday101 said:
Neil, I don't doubt you and would love to go detecting out your way, but I am nowhere near you. Thing is this, air is a great medium to transmit a VLF signal through, ground is not. Ground has more signal loss. So, in theory, and I stress in theory, you should only be able to get a percentage of your max air distance in ground just because the ground is not as good as a medium as the air. I know some disagree with that and that's fine. I did find an article once by Fisher guru Dave Johnson and even he agrees to this statement. This is why I use an air test as a general guide to a detectors depth ability. Now if this were a 100% true M6 users would not find a dime past 7", but that sure doesn't seem to be the case.

Now again I am not knocking the M6, I know it is a fine detector and users tell me that the VDI is stable even in the ground and at depth. My thought was pretty much what John MA said though, for the dollar difference the Silver is almost as good and simpler to use. As noted it does not have the multi-tones of the M6 though. So if the Silver is so dam good (and it is) what the heck am I doing looking at the M6? The M6 interest me though because of the ability to hunt in all metal and use tones. It was just that when I looked at the price, I didn't think it had enough advantage to justify spending the extra cash. My Silver will still get the job done.

I've never used the M6 but I know a person who does and he loves it. I've owned a fair amount of White's products since 1971. It's a great company with great products for the most part; love the MXT! I'm not sold on their cheaper detectors though. I think Tesoro kicks butt there. This all comes down to VDI or not to VDI, and throw into that mix, your age, soil conditions, and hunting style/specialty (EG: relics, coins, nuggets). Last, and in my opinion the most important, are you having fun?????:wiggle:
One more comment to Tesoro, summer's coming and a lot of us are looking at our detector inventory. For myself, I need a light weight nugget detector. At 65 years old and with a jacked up swing arm, my White's days are pretty much gone. However, we do have the Fisher Gold Bug! I realize the Vaquero or Tejon can get the job done but they don't have the features I want. I would have a Vaquero in a heartbeat, but there is no manual ground adjust, etc. I have the Outlaw. If the Vaquero had the same features, I would be sold; even with the Barney Purple.
I know Tesoro can't please everyone, but you (Tesoro) got our input some time ago. You should be coming out with a detector or two that is fine tuned for the majority of your market.
Okay, this is me getting off of my soap box now.

" I would have a Vaquero in a heartbeat, but there is no manual ground adjust, etc."

The Vaquero has manual ground balance.

I own an M6 and it's a brilliant machine,great depth,great recovery and great versatility.It all depends what you want from a machine,the M6 will keep up with most machines in most situations with the added bonus that it will destroy virtually every other single frequency machine on the wet sand at the beach.......including any tesoro.

therover said:
" I would have a Vaquero in a heartbeat, but there is no manual ground adjust, etc."

The Vaquero has manual ground balance.

ARRG!!! You're right. It was the fact I had to thumb the discrimination control instead of a toggle switch. Also, I never had a use for a pinpoint button. It's just my personal preference. I really like the Outlaw for this hot-lukewarm-cold Northern Nevada soil. I wish it had auto ground balance too; especially when I want to go into a comatose state of mine and dream of riches & treasures!:sleepy:

Come on man, air tests are not really a test. My F2 tests 8" on a copper penny in air, but I've found many at 9-10" and one copper that was deeper than the entire Lesche, including the handle. The only way to 'test' a detector is to use it in the field and put a few hours on it. Hard to believe you would try to compare the M6 to a silver Umax. Really? Take both of them to your favorite hunting site and see how that works out for ya. That's like comparing a BMW to a Hyundai. Sometimes you just gotta spend a few hundred bucks and take a chance...Believe me, I've done it!